Active Topics

Posts: 564 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Fayetteville, GA
Originally Posted by sachin007 View Post
And is the dpad a touch pad like the e90 or the n81???
Now that would be very awesome.
3pm - So good, it's illegal

Originally Posted by ysss View Post
The keyboard is obviously designed for handheld thumbtyping, not for typing while it's resting on a table. Get a bluetooth keyboard if you want to do such thing, or pick the thing up and use it as it was designed to be used.
If you get a chance, check out how the TyTN II does it. It works. Much easier to use at a table in meetings. Of course a full-size BT keyboard is better, but when adding a slide-out keyboard they should at least have made the best out of it. (Of course, we don't know for certain yet if the N810 kbd can be used TyTN-II style or not.)

Posts: 1,107 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Germany
No matter what Nokia comes out with. No. Matter. What.

... the monkeys will descend from the trees hopping and chittering about it. "OOo ugly!" "No I'm smarter! I would have put THIS, THERE!" "No I'm smarter, see THAT feature means i can't do THIS now!" "Nooooo I'm smarter, i think it's ugly!"

eeep! eep! reeeech! hu-ooh-oo-huhu!

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by zerojay View Post
I have to disagree with you there. There's not much I liked about the 770 at all. I liked the N800 quite a bit.

Of course, how good the N810 is going to be depends on far more than what pictures show us, as you said. Is the hardware going to be better? Is the camera going to be a decent resolution this time? It's just simply too early to be entirely negative about something when all the important information isn't known yet.

And you guys in the UK must have very small pockets.
One thing that strikes me each time I hold the 770 without it's hard cover case is how thin and light it is compared to the N800 - the N810 looks thicker than the N800, and most likely heavier. Fatter and fatter, heavier and heavier is not the direction for portable devices! Although we can't see them clearly, it's quite possible (likely?) the top buttons are as tiny and hard to press as they were on the N800, compared to the large and easy to press buttons on the 770. And of course, the 770 hard cover was a stroke of genius, never to be repeated!

I'm extremely negative so far about the design, which seems nothing at all special (and let's face it, Nokia needed something special to avoid unflattering comparisons with other products already on the market) and I'm still hopeful the hardware specification will be special - OMAP3 would be nice, but properly implemented video hardware (with 3D support in OS2008!) along with a better camera than the one in the N800 (which seemed to have fallen out of a Christmas Cracker) are absolutely essential. Since the video and camera specs can look good on paper but be apalling in practice (precisely the case with the N800) I'll delay considering a purchase of an N810 until a full analysis is available here or on the mailing list (someone like Serge will hopefuloly have one quite quickly [Nokia should give him one for free!] and let us know the good and bad as far as video is concerned!)

However, assuming this is available early next year (big assumption, could be next week for all I know) and if I delay a couple of months it's possible Intel MIDs will only be another couple of months away... and while there may be a few stinkers amongst the selection of MIDs there will also be some diamonds. Such a shame Nokia only get one chance a year to get the design right, perhaps in another 12 months they'll have hired a designer with a clue (tip: headhunt someone from Apple).

EDIT: Typos

Last edited by Milhouse; 2007-10-17 at 13:14.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by Milhouse View Post
If Apple can pack a full ARM computer with WiFi, Bluetooth and fully functioning video processing hardware into a slim, lightweight and above all attractive package, why the hell can’t Nokia?
Becuase it has a keyboard in it.

Personally I think you guys are overreacting. I've played with it, and I like it. But to each his own. Just remember: the N800 is still available (and viable).

At this stage I think I would prefer just an N801 or N805, which is an N800 with the hardware flaw(s) fixed: Video bandwidth.

Texrat. My bigger concern is the spec. Is it faster? Have the video problems been fixed? Does Flash work properly now?

Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Originally Posted by ArnimS View Post
No matter what Nokia comes out with. No. Matter. What.

... the monkeys will descend from the trees hopping and chittering about it. "OOo ugly!" "No I'm smarter! I would have put THIS, THERE!" "No I'm smarter, see THAT feature means i can't do THIS now!" "Nooooo I'm smarter, i think it's ugly!"

eeep! eep! reeeech! hu-ooh-oo-huhu!
I couldn't agree more.

Posts: 2,041 | Thanked: 1,066 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Houston
Originally Posted by =DC= View Post
Now that would be very awesome.
I think it is.... check this image of the e90.
http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...icial%26sa%3DN

They look extremely similiar.

Hope it is true... then it is really great!!

d-pad - i only use it for playing blocks, but it's the thing I do most on the n800

seems like a bad move, moving it.

the comment about the speakers on the side being obstructed when you hold it sounds pertinent too.

I for one will be unhappy if the hardware spec is better than the 800 - i've bought both previous asap too but am pretty much with milhouse on all of this.