I charge mine overnight as well. I guess I'm still annoyed that I can hit one YouTube video and there goes the battery. Very annoying. I also go offline any time I travel to prevent the thing from trying to connect to a network. Unfortunately if using MM you have to be online to get the bluetooth connection which then prompts for WIFI access. So I've learned to wait for the connection message before driving off.

Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
Originally Posted by sondjata View Post
I can't install the advanced-power applet cause it says I don't have python 2.5. WTF?
substitute with your file location for /var/tmp....

dpkg -i /var/tmp/advanced-power-0.3.0-3_all.deb ; apt-get -f install

stolen from qwerty12.

bun

Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
There's 0.3.2 in Garage btw.

The Following User Says Thank You to Bundyo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 69 | Thanked: 12 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Colorado, USA
Originally Posted by tso View Post
iirc, i was seeing the 0.3% thing before the latest SSU.

thing is, i suspect advpower is not doing much math on its own, and rather reads it off dbus or other sources.

maybe install battery-status and give it a run under such conditions to see if it gives a similar percentage. iirc, it reads its info off dbus...
This time when I got the low battery warning, I switched to Nokia battery applet and also checked battery level reported by battery-status. They all agreed battery was at 0%. Of course, after sitting overnight battery level jumped back to 53%.

bhw, I have tried disabling metacrawler and swap. I have also tried keeping NIT in offline mode unless I was actively using wifi. None of it made any difference to reported battery life.

At this point it is pretty clear to me dbus data on battery level is bogus.If there isn't a bug open about this already, I will open one.

Posts: 900 | Thanked: 273 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Fresno CA USA
It appears to base it's battery estimate on usage immeadiately prior to the request for battery status. It seems to be saying if you maintained the same battery useage this is how long it wwould last. With the ARM processors ability to reduce power consumption at idle this method will almost always yield results which are suspect.
Personal Blog -- 3 Joe's Blog

N810 -- 5.2010.33-1

Originally Posted by fragos View Post
It appears to base it's battery estimate on usage immeadiately prior to the request for battery status. It seems to be saying if you maintained the same battery useage this is how long it wwould last. With the ARM processors ability to reduce power consumption at idle this method will almost always yield results which are suspect.
It is not a theoretical issue in my case the N810 shuts down because the battery reports no charge

Posts: 69 | Thanked: 12 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Colorado, USA
Originally Posted by fragos View Post
It continues to say 0% even after 15 minutes of absolutely idle time with no apps running at all Then after several hours battery jumps from 0% to 50+%. This is not a result of reduced power consumption.

An older lithium battery will show greater dips in voltage under load than a newer one, and will take longer to "relax" to the true voltage state.

I think it is a very safe assumption that there is a discharge curve somewhere mapping voltage to battery percentage, and that any (even temporary) dips in the voltage would show up as a deceptively low percentage remaining - while not reflecting the true remaining capacity of the battery.

How many people with such unusual battery behavior have a young battery?
How many of these anecdotal reports of "Version A was fine, now Version B is acting up" are backed by reloading Version A and seeing if there is true causation or simply correlation with time (age of battery) being the underlying culprit?
How many of these anecdotal reports of unusual battery behavior are comparing stock like-to-like? I've only had my IT for a couple of weeks, but I did not realize swap was part of the standard config.

my battery is 13months young I started having issues when it was 11 months young

Posts: 900 | Thanked: 273 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Fresno CA USA
Mine is a maaby 4 month old. I use my N810 every day aand never turn it off. I do charge every day before going to bed. I have no perceivable decress in battery capacity.
Personal Blog -- 3 Joe's Blog

N810 -- 5.2010.33-1