Posts: 388 | Thanked: 842 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Finland
Originally Posted by ndi View Post
See, if you think that you need a decoder and pass, then next person comes by and thinks this is a pass too, and so on, would it be so hard to push a button on each pass, like "I gave up" so that the next 250 people who see the thread are spared?

Sort of like the "This is spam" system. If 50 people marked a message as spam, it's pulled. Not deleted, but moved to a little folder nobody goes to and smells bad.
There's already thread voting. I guess it would be useful if more people actually used it to rate crappy threads with one star and great threads with 5 stars. One or two votes usually don't guarantee a meaningful rating.

Originally Posted by hqh View Post
There's already thread voting. I guess it would be useful if more people actually used it to rate crappy threads with one star and great threads with 5 stars. One or two votes usually don't guarantee a meaningful rating.
I have a problem with anonymous systems like that. I don't use thread voting on principal .
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by smarsh View Post
I'll take Texrat. I've always been interested in what an American might make of my postings
My dad was Canadian, so I must disqualify myself.

By the way, glad to have you active again smarshy. And was that you snooping around my LinkedIn profile? If so... find any errors?

Posts: 155 | Thanked: 118 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
My dad was Canadian, so I must disqualify myself.

By the way, glad to have you active again smarshy. And was that you snooping around my LinkedIn profile? If so... find any errors?
Good to be back, old son.

I believe it may have been. Blame DNeary. Nope, no errors I could see from my glimpse. I'll send you an invite

Last edited by smarsh; 2010-01-22 at 14:01. Reason: missed a d

Posts: 2,050 | Thanked: 1,425 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bucharest
Actually, no.

I (partly) agree with the posters that say people would abuse it. Maybe they will. Still, there are ways to prevent it that weren't listed(I think. I'm not reading that now)

For example, one could be limited to one or two "no, thanks" per thread, so that it can't be used like the "thanks" now, every post. Voting No again removes previous No.

Bugs.Maemo.org uses a per-project limit of 20 votes. Nice idea, but bad implementation (Nokia wants to count people, so it works like that). However, Borland gives a user 5 votes. For ever. You want a bug fixed, you cast a vote, you have 4 left. If you have voted for 5 bugs, then you have to decide where you want the focus. Fix the new one or keep the old?

This builds a very, very effective system because a bug with 20 votes means that either 20 people feel this is quite important or 5 people are actually dieing out there.

E.g. One could have -say- 3 "no"s a day, more if active members that run around doing stuff. Mods have unlimited. You browse the forum, find the lolzer, cast your -1, likely anonymously so you can still help the user without resentment (though why you would care after modded down?).

Anyway, for example a repost of a well-known problem could be answered with a link to the talk thread relevant, them modded down by 1. This way, the next person that sees "1.1 doesn't have 3G! [1 reply] [-1]" knows it's been taken care of.

Mods could remove the -1 of other users should they run into a bad mod or a misunderstood issue.

I have other ideas on how to keep this from being rampant, still, troll-like posts would be quickly buried and that alone is sorta worthwhile.

Keep the forums clean: use "Thanks" button instead of the thank you post.

Posts: 323 | Thanked: 118 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Australia
Grammar whinging will always exist, regardless of what system anyone implements.

Last edited by RipTorn; 2010-01-21 at 23:02. Reason: Removed the b word.

Originally Posted by fatalsaint View Post
Please see solution #11 .
Drat. Double drat.

Well, like that, I made a suggestion in a thread, bu suggested +1 -1 and Thanks to separate helpers from agreeing.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by RipTorn View Post
Grammar whinging will always exist, regardless of what system anyone implements.
I vote we only allow that to be spelled "whining".

Posts: 819 | Thanked: 806 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ Oxnard, Ca.
Talk.maemo forum is growing very fast.
I think it is now time to implement "number of views" next to each topic just like all the other websites out there and also to increase the topics per page by 5 at least for each page.

The way things are right now you can make an important topic that maybe 10,000 people want to talk about but it gets covered quickly.

Start a thread, get 30 posts come back 4 hours later, it's gone on page 5, you can't see it.

P.S.
Put me on your ignore list and I will point out every mistake you make as a group.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to aironeous For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by hqh View Post
That's because the thread never gets hidden and because it's not fine-grained enough.

I hate to say it, but "-1, troll" is starting to be quite attractive. I really wish this would lead to something nicer than "I know, let's copy THEM".

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ndi For This Useful Post:

Tags
back to school vs, back to the woods, community, expert system, grammar, improvement, lol, me talk pretty one day, spelling