Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
who said the SW must be released?

Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
who said the SW must be released?
Nobody, but you can't re-distribute your application (besides internal use purposes) if it's GPLed without releasing the sources as well.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Posts: 7 | Thanked: 17 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ the Netherlands
Hi,

Seeing that I'm quoted here I'd like to correct the people who think it is 12,5K. It's 25K because the price money was USD 50.000 split in half because 2 projects won. http://www.callingallinnovators.com/ tells it all.

That site also says
Other valuable prizes

* Spotlight: The Grand Prize winner in each category will receive Spotlight Placement in Nokia’s Ovi Store to help promote the winning application to consumers using Nokia devices worldwide

So maybe, just maybe it realy is stuck in ovi limbo

Hope Fabian tells us soon what will happen with this app, because I would love to see it on my N900.

Michel

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to mivaho For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,885 | Thanked: 2,008 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ OVI MAPS
its now in the store http://store.ovi.com/content/51934
3 quid in UK

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to NvyUs For This Useful Post:
Posts: 80 | Thanked: 53 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Berlin, Germany
Originally Posted by NvyUs View Post
3 quid in UK
If there is GPLed code inside, the sources would also have to be released to those who bought it, don't they?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nath For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
Originally Posted by Flandry View Post
The hope was that the council would contact Nokia about the situation and get some answers.
Someone would need to raise the issue with the council, perhaps by emailing council@maemo.org. We don't magically appear in threads which mention our name.

Originally Posted by nath View Post
If there is GPLed code inside, the sources would also have to be released to those who bought it, don't they?
Yes, if there is code licensed under the GPL in there, people who receive the binary have a right to ask for the source. If he owns all the copyright for the code he's shipping, though, he could have relicensed those files for his own purposes.

The Following User Says Thank You to Jaffa For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by Jaffa View Post
Someone would need to raise the issue with the council, perhaps by emailing council@maemo.org. We don't magically appear in threads which mention our name.
well.... that's something you could work on then

EDIT: uhm... just in case: this was meant as a joke ŕ la "learn to fly with a magic carpet", not as a serious comment about council members reading each post.

Last edited by benny1967; 2010-10-22 at 15:07.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,559 | Thanked: 1,786 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Boston
Originally Posted by NvyUs View Post
3 quid in UK
Good timing, that. I hope Nokia has got something in place to deal with the GPL responsibilities.

It's 100% realistic to expect a council member to get around to reading the Community forum of t.m.o. This is actually how we were told to communicate with you, so perhaps you should come to an agreement amongst yourselves on that point.

Originally Posted by CommunityCouncil View Post
In fact, ninety-nine percent of the time, anything that you might want to tell the Council should be done so within the Community forum at talk.maemo.org. This forum is read continually and all important items posed there are acted on very quickly.

Unofficial PR1.3/Meego 1.1 FAQ

Classic example of arbitrary Nokia decision making. Couldn't just fallback to the no brainer of tagging with lat/lon if network isn't accessible, could you Nokia?
MAME: an arcade in your pocket
Accelemymote: make your accelerometer more joy-ful

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flandry For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Let's not turn this into a metathread - I raised the issue in the Council list.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Yes, if there is code licensed under the GPL in there, people who receive the binary have a right to ask for the source. If he owns all the copyright for the code he's shipping, though, he could have relicensed those files for his own purposes.
I downloaded it (it's an amazing piece of software btw) and checked what he put in the "about" box: It's still GPL, thank god. As far as I know, this doesn't force him to actively distribute the sources with the binary or make them available for download. He just mustn't refuse to send you the code if you ask for it.

Again, though: It's really great. Stunningly beautiful, a lot of options to customize your it, easy to use.... You'll never want to look at the real sky again.

I think € 3,00 is a very fair price for this quality (given I paid € 0,90 for a lousy jpeg image today) and I hope Fabien sees a fair amount of downloads through the store, even if people could get it for free legally. That would be encouraging for those who don't want to give up open development, but don't mind earning a few cents if possible.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:

Tags
contest, innovators, stellarium