Banned | Posts: 291 | Thanked: 42 times | Joined on Dec 2009
Originally Posted by Rauha View Post
Brilliant.
My hat is at the corner of Lost souls St and Brilliant Rd. Please don't bother paying for copyright ;-)

Originally Posted by OrangeBox View Post
This community is full of egotistical, i-know-it-all type geeks that have no respect for others. Many posters are childish, some are outright immature. Personal attacks, sarcastic remarks and the lack of respect to other members are missing far too often. Being too emotional and in some cases fanatic turns some threads into flame wars. There is so much that we can learn from the iPhone community.

Disclaimer: I don't own an iPhone and don't plan to own one either, but I follow their forums to learn their perspective and I can tell you that they are so much more civilized than we are.

Before you start posting insulting remarks to this thread take a deep breath and check out some of the iPhone forums out there and LEARN that there is a better way.

Peace.
very true indeed. only the astronomical difference in believes makes it so that learning from the iphone community is iimpossible i think. wonder how many n900 lovers come to the iphone forums to flame..

Originally Posted by ColdFusion View Post
There you go http://tinyurl.com/y9wrn3b
He he, good one

But, if you actually follow that link, you end up here:
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?p=412449

How helpful is that?

Originally Posted by bsving View Post
He he, good one

But, if you actually follow that link, you end up here:
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?p=412449

How helpful is that?
I'm not sure.. I sense you're trying to be sarcastic.. but the first two things I saw when I get there are links to here and here.

It actually seems very useful to me..
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

Originally Posted by fatalsaint View Post
I'm not sure.. I sense you're trying to be sarcastic.. but the first two things I saw when I get there are links to here and here.

It actually seems very useful to me..
Sarcastic, me?? Look, if we cut away all the crap, what is more friendly and helpful of:
1: Use Google like the rest of us!
2: We have a wiki for all newcomers to Maemo her [insert link]. This wiki also have a section on using the terminal and common Linux commands.

If your answer is 1. Then Mr Orange is 100% correct. It is that simple.

It's just standard linux terminal stuff, it can be learned everywhere. Why do you insist that a link on a wiki here is better than any tutorial found on google.
As far as I can tell only getting root privileges is a little different, but that is explained very well here.

Posts: 402 | Thanked: 229 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Missouri, USA
ColdFusion,
I would say because not all standard linux stuff works on the N900 out of box (examples that come to mind are less, locate, wget, and fdisk). While googling for busybox commands may yield more relevant results, I suspect that a linux newcomer isn't going to know the difference.

In that regard, a link to a relevant wiki page may be the lesser of two evils here.

Originally Posted by bsving View Post
Sarcastic, me?? Look, if we cut away all the crap, what is more friendly and helpful of:
1: Use Google like the rest of us!
2: We have a wiki for all newcomers to Maemo her [insert link]. This wiki also have a section on using the terminal and common Linux commands.

If your answer is 1. Then Mr Orange is 100% correct. It is that simple.
I'm still confused. The link that his link took you to, took you to Learn Unix in 10 Minutes, and a howtoforge article on useful linux commands.

How is that not helpful? And why should that information be duplicated?

I'll admit.. providing a link to those articles when an applicable question is asked (as the link to the thread you just provided did) is more nice - however, what makes you think that the people that answer questions *all the time* have those links memorized, saved, or otherwise readily accessible? Usually not.. why? Because we know it.

When someone says "How do I do X" or "Where do I learn Linux".. then the answerer likely must do the very thing that the user should have done... use google. Why should an answerer have to practice his already well-practiced skills in google to feed a user?

It's like an old saying: Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, feed him for life.

Learning how to google properly is a fundamental skill in computing. Now, usually, me personally - if I have to resort to telling someone to google; I try to provide search terms, and sometimes I will provide a link to something useful I found from my own googling.

If, however, you can plug the near exact question asked into google and get an answer - such "helpfulness" should not be needed.

Originally Posted by aspidites View Post
ColdFusion,
I would say because not all standard linux stuff works on the N900 out of box (examples that come to mind are less, locate, wget, and fdisk).
Wget, my understanding, is available to install. It may come default with Ubuntu, but it's still a separate package that is installed. This is no different than any debian based system.

Locate is also a separate application and I have worked on many linux that do not have it. Relying on locate to find your files is a bad idea.

I agree that less and fdisk are lacking, from what I've seen, and this is unfortunate as less was supposed to have replaced more some time ago, and sfdisk is no where near as intuitive and easy as fdisk.

Your typical end-user is not going to be using fdisk/sfdisk/parted/gparted/etc, however.

I don't know, what exactly is the profile of this "newcomer"? If he has zero knowledge of the linux terminal, he has no use for it anyway, or just the most basic commands that can be found on any website.

Sure you can spoon feed any irrelevant detail to all the newbies questions, but I think that using google has to be an evolutionary requirement these days

Tags
fatalsaint is funny, known troll, self-fulfilling prophecy