Notices

Posts: 1,283 | Thanked: 370 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ South Florida
Originally Posted by andraeseus1 View Post
hmmm... this looks like a nice place to post this. if this is wrong pls be kind about telling me i posted in the wrong place. not up for insults today. hope it helps

Link to a linux tutorial i found while searching for the same info as the person who started this thread. they say it works in many ways like the n900 so maybe it will help. don't know if it was posted already but here ya go

http://linuxcommand.gds.tuwien.ac.at/
Looks like a nice site. Best way to learn is resurrect an obsolete machine and install a distro and play around.

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
I have often thought that a tablet-oriented guide to xterm would be a wonderful project for a newbie, and there is a need for it.

The person who would learn the most from this sort of project would be the person doing it.

So, if you are a newbie reading this thread, how about doing us a favor and writing a guide to xterm for us? What you would do is google around to find Xterm guides and try them on your tablet and adopt the guides to the N900 or whatever.

I'm looking forward to reading it!

simply if u wanna compare it with ur pc, u'll find it somehow quite similar to the MS Dos as commands, with some deferences (such as case sensitive).
however, as the other gentlemen mentioned, u'll not need it always.. or let's say, u still can survive without it..
good luck..

Posts: 1 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Eugene, Oregon
Originally Posted by tito_66 View Post
Can anyone tell me what is the function of X-terminal application in N900
and is there Oxford Medical Dictionary for this device ?

thanks for help.
Here's what you can do with an X terminal. http://www.viewtouch.com/mobile.html

The program that is putting the graphics on that display and handling the touchscreen input is running on a $195 solid state computer which is 2,500 miles away (in New York City) from the wireless tablet showing in that picture. The program is actually an X Windows System window manager which is using only 6.5 Mb or RAM and running on a 500 Mhz processor which requires no fan.

There are 8 touchscreen tablets like the one in the picture which are located all over the USA & Canada and are getting their display from that same program on that same computer in NYC. The 8 touchscreen tablets are running Midori Linux on a 128 Mb Compact Flash card and running only the X term, which is receiving the graphical display via ssh (compressed and encrypted) over the Internet.

X terms can obviously do graphical things and they can allow people to work collaboratively without regard to where they are, even if the users have no idea that they are working together.

X terms are vastly unappreciated and not understood very well even by Linux enthusiasts.

Shell scripts, grep, sed, awk, perl. That's where the power is. All in your disposal out of the box.
...when you need to get some serious work done, and pretty pictures + 20*10^3 apps just don't cut it.

Posts: 1,283 | Thanked: 370 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ South Florida
Originally Posted by RFS-81 View Post
Shell scripts, grep, sed, awk, perl. That's where the power is. All in your disposal out of the box.
...when you need to get some serious work done, and pretty pictures + 20*10^3 apps just don't cut it.
If I got to get some serious work done, it won't be on a 3.5" screen and a thumb powered Keyboard with 3 rows...

Time to keep it real...

Posts: 8 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Sudbury, ON, Canada
Originally Posted by les_garten View Post
Nobody was borned with it...

He's in a Linux forum.

Here's the options I have for him. You want to spoon feed every infant on the Planet that's your biz of course.

Options:
1) as mentioned, his asking the question means he has no use for Xterm

2) Google Xterm

3) Google Xterm and RTFM

That would help him more than any spoon feeding.

Give a man a fish, he eats for a day, teach him to fish, he eats for a lifetime.

Some starve to death if they don't get free fish everyday. In my world, that's called natural selection, I don't believe in Free Fish. If you ask questions in a Linux forum you had better have Googled a little and explain that the man page has you confused.

Welcome to Linux! Ask any questions you want, but remember, it's a sign of weakness!

i saw the x-terminal question and i came here with hope, but only to get this.
guys come on

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Raymodise For This Useful Post:
Posts: 992 | Thanked: 738 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Low Earth Orbit
Originally Posted by Raymodise View Post
i saw the x-terminal question and i came here with hope, but only to get this.
What was you hoping for? And what exactly is wrong with "this"? As well as "this" you also got a lot of "that". And isn't "that" enough to answer the question posed by this thread?

i still cant figure out wt to do with x term while i spend my most tme staying there...;(

Originally Posted by izzox View Post
so if i understand, because he doesn't know what's a terminal he doesn't have the right to know about it? come on!
among you who borned with the knowledge?
this is a forum for maemo users, if he doesn't post his questions here where do you want him to post them?
It wasn't necessary to show him that u know more than he do. this is not about challenge, but instructing. In this way you all discouraged him. This a shame for those claiming to KNOW.
I didn't have it till I was bourned again with it.

Last edited by vi_; 2011-03-10 at 11:37.

Tags
gateway to awesomeness, if you have to ask, it's not for you, orange nuts