Good interview. He seems to be calm about potential patent threats, though didn't reveal what patents they are licensing (except for the UMTS related). Just wondering why is that a secret?

Last edited by shmerl; 2012-07-23 at 15:20.

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Wonder if people here will be willing to pay higher price for a Jolla phone than todays androids?

Because I am sure the Jolla mobiles will be higher priced cause of a lot less volumes.... What also pisses me of is how Google is doing buy selling Nexus a hell to lowpriced. That hurt every damn company including themselfts in the longer run.

Btw... About fully open source drivers. forget it...

http://lwn.net/Articles/504865/

Last edited by mikecomputing; 2012-07-23 at 17:33.

Sure, don't expect fully open drivers. Unless they'll use Mali GPU, and Lima will mature enough. Then you'll at least have an open GPU driver.

It probably won't be priced higher than N9 anyway, but who knows. Do you really have any other options so far? Tizen targeted devices weren't announced yet as well.

Last edited by shmerl; 2012-07-23 at 18:44.

Posts: 308 | Thanked: 299 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ Graveyard
Not sure if this has been already posted here or not

Finland's Jolla Will Be The Ferrari Of The Smartphone World

Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
Wonder if people here will be willing to pay higher price for a Jolla phone than todays androids?
If the hardware is good and the overall experience is anywhere near what I experienced with my N9, yes - I paid more for my N9 than most Android phones out there with better hardware, but then again I have good battery life, reception, call quality, it doesn't break, it's supported, etc. :-)

Posts: 1,523 | Thanked: 1,997 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ not your mom's FOSS basement
Slight correction: it's supported by the community. But this is nothing new for the majority of Droids out there, that never receive vendor updates.

Originally Posted by ranbaxy View Post

Overpriced, unreliable and unsuitable for everyday life?

Originally Posted by ranbaxy View Post

Yeah, Forbes is a little off on this article in comparisons...I would call Jolla the 'Tesla' or 'Fisker' of smartphones.

So what's the story with the collected questions? Is anyone going to send them to Jolla?

Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
^ivgalvez still hasn't responded to my last response to him, so I don't know.
I'm not checking this thread again till next Mon or Tues...
But they have the link & can PM me if they want me to lock it, so they can edit/forward it.

Last edited by jalyst; 2012-07-25 at 19:16.

Tags
jolla, jolla on topic, jollamobile, meego, merproject, nokia, nokian9, professionals, speculations, tizenjolla