Posts: 3,139 | Thanked: 8,156 times | Joined on Feb 2013 @ From my Gabriola Island hermitage, near the Edge of the World
Originally Posted by The Sand View Post
I like it because you can run it without a “user account” and it still functions well.

You need certain devices that are able to run without a user account, disabled backup, rolling through Tor at some random free wifi spot so you can search, “Is it just me or are they tracking everything we do?”
Nope it's not just you The Sand.
the Powers are all cataloging everything that is accessible and storing it for whatever purposes. They got the tech and they're using it.
As long as you talk openly and un-securely about Miley, Kim and Kanye, and who deserves to be no. 1 on The Voice everythings fine.

Owner of :
1-n770 (in retirement), 3-n800's / 3-n810's (still in daily use), 5-n900's ((3 are flawless, 1 loose usb ( parts), 1 has no telephony (parts))
3-nexus 5's : 1 w/ Floko Pie 9.1 (running beautifully) waiting for Stable Droid 10 rom, 1 w/ ̶Ubuntu Touch, 1 with Maru OS (intend maemo leste when ready)

1/2 - neo900 pre- "purchased" in 2013. N̶o̶w̶ ̶A̶w̶a̶i̶t̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶r̶e̶f̶u̶n̶d̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶c̶e̶s̶s̶ ̶l̶a̶s̶t̶ ̶f̶e̶w̶ ̶y̶e̶a̶r̶s̶ - neo900 start up declared officially dead -
Lost invested funds.

PIMP MY N8X0 (Idiot's Guide and a video walkthrough)http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94294
THE LOST GRONMAYER CATALOGShttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ight=gronmayer
N8X0 VIDEO ENCODING THE EASY WAYhttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ght=mediacoder
242gb ON N800http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=90634
THE PAIN-FREE MAEMO DEVELOPMENT LIVE DISTRO-ISO FOR THE NOOB TO THE PROhttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=95567
AFFORDABLE MASS PRODUCTION FOR MAEMO PARTShttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=93325

Meateo balloons now available @ Dave999's Meateo Emporium

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to endsormeans For This Useful Post:
Posts: 20 | Thanked: 23 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Los Angeles, CA
Originally Posted by ste-phan View Post
And there's why it still functions well?

You don't even need an external software tool to download the .deb installable and keep a local copy on a USB stick for after the apocalypse

Now anybody has Fennec 17.0 .deb optimized for Thumb, please?
No - It functions well for many, many reasons - but other smartphones are trying very hard to tie you to the ecosystem and track you to your user account right after you take it out of the box and turn it on. It was just a comparison where the N900 shines - that was my point

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to The Sand For This Useful Post:
Posts: 20 | Thanked: 23 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Los Angeles, CA
Originally Posted by endsormeans View Post
Nope it's not just you The Sand.
the Powers are all cataloging everything that is accessible and storing it for whatever purposes. They got the tech and they're using it.
As long as you talk openly and un-securely about Miley, Kim and Kanye, and who deserves to be no. 1 on The Voice everythings fine.
Nice to hear I am not the only one who thinks this

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Sand For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
Sorry I was away and didn't bring my N900. Back home now. Just took it out of its box. Hmmm... nice solid feel. Love how the keyboard slides out! Let's turn it on. Oops! battery needs to charge. Ok. finally started up. Dang! Have to set up date. Ok thats done. One thing is the resistive screen needs more pressure to start an app than I thought. Guess I'm used to the feeling of the capacitive screen on the GN3 which is a bit more sensitive. Well, looks like I need a few updates for SSU. 24mb sure takes a while... Well lets try some multitasking! Yup. still multitasks beatifully! Can open several apps and reduce them to the grid that forms for the ongoing tasks. Really miss that... Android are you listening? Also catagorise. Never found the equivalent on Android. Such a nice simple way to organize apps. Oh. there is Opera. I forgot about that. Still works ok. Does a good job of flowing text when you magnify. Hey! Where is cute tube? It must be on my other N900. Wow! I can still download it. Lucky for me as I have no idea what is going on with repositories. Ok. Finally, lets try Easy Debian. Yes! Still good. Came in handy many a times. The N900 is such a great device. If only it had a 5 inch screen and updated specs. Well, very nice.. Now back in your box! Thats a good boy...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mscion For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Closing time. Last 24 h. Enjoy!

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

The Following User Says Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
I seriously love my N900, it originally belonged to my elder brother but then he passed it on to me after buying a new phone.

The sad thing is that my N900 is dead now... Initialy, it's battery started giving really bad backup but it was bearable, then eventually for some unknown reason it's micro USB port stopped working so I had to charge it by taking it's battery out and then charging it with an external battery changer, then finally last year I went to see a distant cousin, while helping with moving some furniture there, I don't know what happened but I guess some corner from the furniture must have hit it while it was in my pocket and it's display got broken .

I went to the service centre but the with the money that I had to pay to get it fixed, I could have bought a new mid range phone (damn Nokia chagres too much) and I knew my parents wouldn't agree, so I had to finally move on..:'( .

Now I have a mid range android device... was looking something about auto rotation and battery drainage caused by it on Google and found link to maemo talk, decided to check it out and found this thread .

Feeling so nostalgic right now, phones/tablets these days just don't feel that good.

A tribute to the best phone/tablet and an incredible OS..... Love you N900 and love you maemo .

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
8 h left. Quick, do some tinkering

Posts: 1,269 | Thanked: 3,961 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Brazil
I've put my N900 to crunch numbers using Python & NumPy and SciPy: type Ia supernovae cosmology calculations, product of matrices with 1000x1000, FFT (Fast Fourier Transform) of a signal with 10^6 numbers/points and triple numerical integral. Yeah, it scored well, even without overclocking.
-- My blog about mobile & scientific computing ---
Sailfish : Sony Xperia X, Gemini, Jolla, Jolla C, Jolla Tablet, Nexus 4. Nokia N9, N900, N810.

Last edited by rcolistete; 2014-10-12 at 14:15.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rcolistete For This Useful Post:

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Okay, to conclude this topic. It's obvious that people still using n900 but it might be fewer and fewer. But overall it was a success and I Salut all that participated. See you again next year...

Btw We lost with one post against n900 week 2013 http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=91160

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:

Tags
maemo 5, nokia n900, supertroopers!