Ars Technica's Ryan Paul weighs in:

One of the most important ingredients in Apple's winning mobile formula is the company's ability to build the product from top to bottom—creating both the hardware and the software experience together. Nokia can't do that if it becomes just another Android or Windows Phone 7 vendor.
Nokia's real problem is poor execution—the company isn't putting its most powerful assets to good use.
Nokia needs to go all-in with MeeGo, put a strong emphasis on design and usability, and get some better products to the market—then engage in serious developer outreach. A large audience of developers is already building cross-platform applications with Qt. The toolkit offers absolutely everything that those existing third-party developers need to refit their software with competitive touch-enabled user interfaces for MeeGo. Nokia needs to get Qt developers excited about supporting MeeGo.
Preach it, brother! But does Elop see it that way?

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to buurmas For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by Stskeeps View Post
I'm not a Nokia employee - I work from my sofa and do cool MeeGo.com work.
what? I infact thought you were emplyed "meego developer" (not at Nokia but somewhere else?

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Originally Posted by droitwichgas View Post
I assume you can confirm if the memo is a fake or not?
I think the most telling hint about Elop's memo's authenticity is that we've heard not a single Nokia employee (whether on/off the record) deny the existence of this memo up to this point.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

The Following User Says Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
Posts: 604 | Thanked: 108 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Phoenix, WA
Aljazeera English had it on their headlines... Are we in denial? Are we surprised Elop would say such a thing? (this is the first time I've referred to Nokia's CEO without some sort of formality, like "CEO Elop"... it feels weird...)

The Following User Says Thank You to SAABoy For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by NvyUs View Post
now i know you are bull crapping fibber b/c some of the stats quoted in the memo by Elop was only available in 2011 some are from last week.
So how can you have seen it back in December before the last quarter stats and market share figures even existed
can't believe people are stupid enough to give you kudos for obvious hoax crap
We were sold in December - even after that we still have access to Nokia intranet. Or should I say had in my case. I saw Elops speech last week - just before I walked.
Don't blame me man - I'm just the messenger.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lemon_grass For This Useful Post:
I'm guessing Nokia will anounce it will be offering phones (or a phone) with Android OR Windows OR Meego. Why not? Why not let the user decide which OS to run? That's what I'd do....at least that way you are not losing market share to an OS instead of another phone manufacturer...but maybe that would make too much sense....

The Following User Says Thank You to jnack95 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,148 | Thanked: 613 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Toronto
I cant wait for Friday Nokia is going to shock (in a good way ) everyone, just you wait

"I'm a N900 user, can I haz Flash 10 plz?!11!?" © Jaffa

Elopocalypse started on 11.02.2011

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by droitwichgas View Post
It looks like Nokia/MS have already started developing SW for Nokia phones, what's the betting that Elope going to announce an even bigger tie up of some kind on Friday?

http://www.linkedin.com/jobs?viewJob...*2_*2_*2_*2_*2
Thanks for that. That job posting says exactly what kind of MS ties are being developed (emphasis mine):
Under the terms of the agreement, the two companies will begin collaborating immediately on the design, development and sales/marketing of productivity solutions for the mobile professional, bringing Microsoft Office Mobile and Microsoft business communications, collaboration and device management software to Nokia’s Symbian devices. These solutions will be available for a broad range of Nokia smartphones starting with the company’s business optimized range, Nokia E series. Over 50 Nokia devices today have Exchange ActiveSync capabilities and several models have Communicator Mobile (for OCS) capabilities developed by Microsoft engineers on the Nokia platform. Office applications and related software and services [will be released] in the future. These will include:

• The ability to view, edit, create and share Office documents on more devices in more places with mobile optimized versions of Microsoft Word, Microsoft PowerPoint, Microsoft Excel and Microsoft OneNote

• Enterprise instant messaging and presence, and optimized conferencing and collaboration experience with Microsoft Office Communicator Mobile

Mobile access to intranet and extranet portals built on Microsoft SharePoint Server

Enterprise device management with Microsoft System Center Configuration Manager

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Switching to WP7 or Android would be a huge risk. For one thing, I can't see how replicating Android or WP7 phones would keep the most competent and skilled developers interested and not leave the company? Or maybe they will outsource everything but HW design, in which case it will be impossible to ever turn back.

Posts: 1,062 | Thanked: 961 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Boston, MA
Originally Posted by qole View Post
Thanks for that. That job posting says exactly what kind of MS ties are being developed (emphasis mine):
I speculated the same thing a few days ago

http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...&postcount=251

However, this quote makes me think that Friday's news will be something a little more significant than that

Originally Posted by Elop's memo
We are working on a path forward -- a path to rebuild our market leadership. When we share the new strategy on February 11, it will be a huge effort to transform our company

Sick of your cell signal not reconnecting after coming out of a bad signal area? Vote for this bug.

The Following User Says Thank You to cfh11 For This Useful Post:

Tags
bye-nokia, i don't even, just shoot him, just shoot me, let's elope, lockdown, meego?fail, negatron dan, nokia defiled, nokia suicide, sell tulips, step 8 out of 5, the-end?, www.elop.org