Posts: 1,808 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Germany
Dear TMO members,

The Maemo eV needs to hold a general assembly urgently, in order to at least clarify the situation wrt to the Board -- otherwise we risk a fine of EUR 600 in a couple of weeks.

Currently the plan is to meet at #maemo-meeting at liberachat this Thursday (Feb. 10, 2022) at 20:00 CET.

We need to appoint two board members, as currently we only have one (@juiceme), and we need three.

There's quite a lot at stake.. not just the potential fine we'd have to pay, but also things like the Maemo trademark (which at least Maemo Leste uses).

Any questions here or drop by at #maemo-meeting anytime.

The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to reinob For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,092 | Thanked: 4,995 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ beautiful cave
You should as well write about the duties of a board member. I have absolutely no idea, what a board member has to do.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Fellfrosch For This Useful Post:
Posts: 862 | Thanked: 2,511 times | Joined on Feb 2012 @ Germany
In principle there is not so much to do. You need to arrange annually meetings and some formalities.

This wiki page will help you to understand better.

http://wiki.maemo.org/MaemoCommunity_eV

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Halftux For This Useful Post:
Keep in mind that only active members can vote for the board or can be part of it. To become an active member you need to apply for it and you should be already a passive member for 3 month.
Everyone with tmo account is a passive member.

Passive members can only vote the council.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Halftux For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,702 | Thanked: 4,752 times | Joined on Apr 2018 @ Helsinki, Finland.
I understand there needs to be something like applying to become an active member. It just feels to me the same as that you need to collect the stamps to have one free coffee and even though you have been drinking there coffee for years you will not get a free coffee without stamps and some other can get a free coffee in a week if collecting stamps. I like the old school way on this: you get to know a regular customer and you reward him with a free coffee occasionally.

Master of not knowing (active)

For me it is possible to get lost in any case (active)

Learning to fall from high (DONE)

Learning to code with BASIC (WIP)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Maemish For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,702 | Thanked: 4,752 times | Joined on Apr 2018 @ Helsinki, Finland.
I checked the application and read a bit of the rules and stuff. I noticed that you have to be 14 years or older to make an application. But in the application the date of birth is not marked with asterix so that you need to fill it. If the rules require certain age how it can be that knowing the age is not required? Did I misunderstood the meanibg of asterix here or something?

Master of not knowing (active)

For me it is possible to get lost in any case (active)

Learning to fall from high (DONE)

Learning to code with BASIC (WIP)

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Maemish For This Useful Post:
@Maemish you can be lucky to come here and drink coffee for free as much as you want and to show your own cooked coffee for free. If you want give something back and feel good for drinking coffee here you can show that to the Maemo eV and become an active member but then you have responsibilities and active possiblilities.
I think it is good that there is a difference. Or do you like it when you are drinking a free coffee you need to fulfill responsibilities?
So this eV is some german thing and Germany like rules and laws it is not that easy like you think about it.
For the birth it is an interesting question could be a mistake and should be mandatory.

This OTOH, excludes a major part of community (associated members) from electing and being elected for board, since accepting all ~60.000 user accounts as regular members wouldn't be an option for organizational reasons and there was consensus that this was the right way to go.

While this, from a conspirational POV, may come across as somewhat segregative, the MC eV invites and encourages everybody to participate and become regular member. The approach is to have a strong General Meeting, including all active members esp. the volunteers on all levels (board, council, techstaff, sysops, maintainers...). They may only vote for board once per year but are also free to decide whatever they agree upon by 2/3 majority anytime. Community power accumulates here, its' even superior over board and council in major regards.
If somebody wants to apply, contact juiceme for that I guess the eV address is no more valid.

Last edited by Halftux; 2022-02-08 at 22:24. Reason: added quote

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Halftux For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by reinob View Post
Currently the plan is to meet at #maemo-meeting at liberachat this Thursday (Feb. 10, 2022) at 20:00 CET.
BTW, that's

19:00 CMT (London)
21:00 EET (Helsinki)

And it's libera.chat
Connect by pointing your IRC client to irc.libera.chat:6697 - or use the web chat: https://web.libera.chat/

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to nonsuch For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,092 | Thanked: 4,995 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ beautiful cave
If I understood that right. My duties as an active member are in sum, to be member and to join and eventually announce the Mitgliederversammlung
"Insbesondere wird von ihnen Mitarbeit und die Teilnahme an den Mitgliederversammlungen erwartet."
If I got it right, I'm willing to help out. With a passive membership since 2009 the 3-month period should be just fulfilled.

I've sent Juicme a message

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Fellfrosch For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by Maemish View Post
I understand there needs to be something like applying to become an active member. It just feels to me the same as that you need to collect the stamps to have one free coffee and even though you have been drinking there coffee for years you will not get a free coffee without stamps and some other can get a free coffee in a week if collecting stamps. I like the old school way on this: you get to know a regular customer and you reward him with a free coffee occasionally.
The Maemo members structure is two-tiered, and that is because of legal requirements to be registered as an association.
(remember, we have and own both social constructs like bank account, trademark, domain name and also tangible hardware things like servers.)

Community members can enjoy the benefits of the association without certain rights reserved for full members.

It is required by laws for registered associations to have certain requirements for members, and thus it is impossible just to admit everyone based on nickname. The member roster is an official register that complies with GDPR.

Membership is granted by application basis, and the requirements really are not that extreme (filling in form, mailing it to the Board and generally having good reputation in the community)

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post: