Notices

Posts: 17 | Thanked: 19 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Andover, Mn, USA
I want to use this as well but the constant dropouts annoy me to no end... the radio in my 5530 works much better and never drops out. I also think it looks cool but is hard to use with the current gui.... So thanks to the developer for making it possible but I would use it more if it worked better. Maybe it is more a hardware problem since it requires bluetooth to function at all.

Found this thread about who developed / helped with this at one point:
http://tabletui.wordpress.com/2009/1...adio-for-n900/

And now the actual developers blog:
http://pycage.blogspot.com/

Scroll down to the October 11, 2009 entry and the developer (Martin Grimme) talks about how it works.... interesting.

Last edited by wowsher; 2010-06-15 at 13:47.

Posts: 2,142 | Thanked: 2,054 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Sicily
Strangely enough, the fm radio application on the n800 could download a list of local stations with frequencies. I can't understand why such a nice feature was dropped on the n900.

Posts: 22 | Thanked: 54 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Guernsey
The FM radio app on the N800 was made by Nokia, the one on N900 is made by community developers who had to start from scratch, so no features were really dropped, it is just a different app.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to pepitoe For This Useful Post:
Posts: 762 | Thanked: 395 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Helsinki
Well that story about traveling around really got to me and I decided to dload the FM Radio app again.

It's actually not that hard to use. I mean you press one of the arrows left or right down for a while and it will search the station for you. You can then save the station quite easily I think.

But it would be nice to have a digital version as well where searching for stations was a little more like what we're probably all used to.

Fire up a PM to the developer (Pycage on these forums) or contact him through the blog!

Last edited by cjp; 2010-06-15 at 14:08.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cjp For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,559 | Thanked: 1,786 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Boston
Agree about the local flavor and "social" experience of listening to FM. Also agree about the dial tuning being really cool but a bit hard to use. I was thinking just the other day it would be nice to be able to scan...

Originally Posted by pepitoe View Post
The FM radio app on the N800 was made by Nokia, the one on N900 is made by community developers who had to start from scratch, so no features were really dropped, it is just a different app.
Wait, what? Really? oO Was it not open source? More winnage from Nokia the Open Source Champion?

Unofficial PR1.3/Meego 1.1 FAQ

Classic example of arbitrary Nokia decision making. Couldn't just fallback to the no brainer of tagging with lat/lon if network isn't accessible, could you Nokia?
MAME: an arcade in your pocket
Accelemymote: make your accelerometer more joy-ful

The Following User Says Thank You to Flandry For This Useful Post:
Posts: 762 | Thanked: 395 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Helsinki
The program could also use an extra piece of code switching off Bluetooth once I close the application!

Originally Posted by cjp View Post
Well that story about traveling around really got to me and I decided to dload the FM Radio app again.

It's actually not that hard to use. I mean you press one of the arrows left or right down for a while and it will search the station for you. You can then save the station quite easily I think.

But it would be nice to have a digital version as well where searching for stations was a little more like what we're probably all used to.

Fire up a PM to the developer or contact him through the blog!
didnt know we could scan for stations on the app. The only thing i would like to clarify is that you have to keep the arrow pressed so it starts scanning, pressing once takes you to your next saved radio

Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
Originally Posted by Flandry View Post
Wait, what? Really? oO Was it not open source? More winnage from Nokia the Open Source Champion?
ROFL. Click this link but I must warn you: the near-emptiness of the page combined with the white background may blind your eyes if you're browsing in the dark...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qwerty12 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by cjp View Post
The program could also use an extra piece of code switching off Bluetooth once I close the application!
Use Autodisconnect, it has a bluetooth auto-off feature in it.

The Following User Says Thank You to munkiii For This Useful Post:
Posts: 579 | Thanked: 471 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Austria
Indeed: where is the love?

Somebody from this community was able to produce this nice app, which I found just amazing to be possible at all, and there is absolutely zero gratitude in the OP.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rebhana For This Useful Post: