Because of lack of Ogg Vorbis and Ogg Theora support, by default, and more importantly because of Nokia's resistance to Ogg Theora being mentioned in HTML 5 <video> tags, I will no longer be recommending the Nokia Internet Tablet as a multipurpose internet device. (*)

I know of seven to ten purchases that have been made upon my recommendation, in the last year. Nokia has lost a big supporter because they have been unable to justify why they cannot support these patent-free, license-free codecs. Any codec might have submarine patents, but Nokia seems to go out of it's way to avoid these codecs that are intentionally free of patents and licenses.

As long as Maemo will not support by default the codecs of Ogg Vorbis and Ogg Theora, I will be purchasing and recommending other manufacturers for internet tablets.
[*] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTML_5

Last edited by tuxdelux; 2008-08-05 at 03:31.

Posts: 1,665 | Thanked: 1,649 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Praha, Czech Republic
There are inofficial fixes available, see https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=176#c65 and following comments.
And what you will be recommending to otherw is always your free choice. :-)

So.. just Curious...

What exactly is the alternative device that is pocket-sized, has Flash 9, AJAX, Bluetooth DUN/OBEX, Thousands of apps, With default OGG and mp3 support built-in with video playing capabilities.. and for an experimenter has the ability to run a complete linux system which includes access to tens of thousands of more software???
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

Posts: 191 | Thanked: 29 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Ottawa
I too am curious about the alternatives.

But I would mention, one the advantages of the NIT using open source, is that there are alternatives. I use mplayer (with Kagu as a front end) to play my Ogg music all the time. Free software, as in freedom of choice.

Craig...

Originally Posted by fatalsaint View Post
What exactly is the alternative device that is pocket-sized, has Flash 9, AJAX, Bluetooth DUN/OBEX, Thousands of apps, With default OGG and mp3 support built-in with video playing capabilities.. and for an experimenter has the ability to run a complete linux system which includes access to tens of thousands of more software???
The Openmoko Neo Freerunner has the hardware, but from what I can tell its software is even rougher than the NIT's. I hope it shapes up, because I'd love to get one.

Posts: 191 | Thanked: 29 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Ottawa
Originally Posted by ace View Post
The Openmoko Neo Freerunner has the hardware, but from what I can tell its software is even rougher than the NIT's. I hope it shapes up, because I'd love to get one.
I think you will find it lacks Flash (closed source) and Skype (also closed source). I just attended a presentation of the OpenMoko at OLS 2008, and it looks pretty rough. They are changing the UI 2 more times (from Qt to GTK again).

I was pretty interested until I attended the presenation. Now I am sitting on the side lines.

Craig...

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by cvmiller View Post
I think you will find it lacks Flash (closed source) and Skype (also closed source). I just attended a presentation of the OpenMoko at OLS 2008, and it looks pretty rough. They are changing the UI 2 more times (from Qt to GTK again).

I was pretty interested until I attended the presenation. Now I am sitting on the side lines.

Craig...
[/metoo]

And for the lack of 3G support.

Please see the Wiki and feel free to contribute to it, or the referred bug report. http://wiki.maemo.org/Playing_OGG_files

Last edited by allnameswereout; 2008-08-06 at 06:25. Reason: wiki lnik

Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
The grass looks always greener on the other side... i.e. until you get there.

It's true that the NIT don't play Ogg out of the box. Windows PCs don't play Ogg either.
Nokia or Microsoft may have a stance against Ogg, but it's easy to install software that adds this functionality. On the NITs there are mplayer and mogg to enable Ogg Vorbis.

By the way,
any information when mogg will be ported to the diablo extra repo. Donīt want to mix chinook in my diablo only installations

MiBi

Originally Posted by MiBi View Post
By the way,
any information when mogg will be ported to the diablo extra repo. Donīt want to mix chinook in my diablo only installations

MiBi
its already in extras-devel. so if you temporarily enable it, you can install it right now.

Tags
audio, ignorant, ogg, theora. vorbis. music, troll, video