I've searched all the forum entries for this but still have a problem.

What I'm trying to do should be quite simple - raise the volume on mplayer. Evidently you have to get to the root file and then a file called mplayer.config or similar. I have learnt how to "become root" and can access the mplayer file. I get a list of mplayer functions and then the line
/home/user #

Then when I try .mplayer/conf or similar I get

not found or
permission denied.

What am I doing wrong?

Twynog

Posts: 503 | Thanked: 267 times | Joined on Jul 2006 @ Helsinki
The website has not been updated for a long time, but some basic instructions about using configuration files have been there for ages: http://mplayer.garage.maemo.org/

You don't need to be root in order to edit mplayer configuration file.

Regarding the sound volume, make sure that you have set it to maximum in both device control panel applet (global system-wide volume settings) and in mplayer by pressing '+' button until it is maximized.

The Following User Says Thank You to Serge For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
You can also use the softvol option in /home/user/.mplayer/config for instance (this is for boosting the volume in mplayer only, can introduce distortions).

The Following User Says Thank You to Bundyo For This Useful Post:
thanks to Serge and Bunyo. I'm learning all the time. I didn't know about the + key setting volume, but find it is already at max as is the system vol. The problem is I'm deaf so need extra volume.

As for the config files I'm no further forward. Whether I try as root or not I still get "permission denied" or "not found".

Could one of you tell me exactly what to type into Xterm from the point where it opens?

twynog

Open xterm and type the following:

Code:
echo softvol=yes >> .mplayer/config
echo softvol-max=700 >> .mplayer/config
This will append "softvol=yes" and "softvol-max=700" to your .mplayer/config file in your home directory.
You can check it's worked by typing

Code:
cat .mplayer/config
and it will display the contents of the file.

Once you're in mplayer you can also press the menu key and it will display settings so you can adjust volume from there, but the +/- buttons are very handy.

The Following User Says Thank You to codeMonkey For This Useful Post:
Wow - at last I can hear the dialogue!

Many thanks

twynog

Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
xterm
mplayer

That will print out a small help file and I found out they are very useful. Go take a look.
And at the end, it said go to MAN for details/adv options, I have not tried that cause I do not know where is the MAN.....sort of like window user cannot find the any button when asked "press any button to proceed..."

bun

Last edited by bunanson; 2008-08-16 at 12:33.

This is just a side-note on this topic. There are often times when I download a spoken word podcast and the audio is low. I find that it works well to use the volume normalizer audio filter built into mplayer. This will automatically equalize the audio and make the very soft parts a bit louder.

Simply add the following parameters like so:
mplayer -af volnorm my_podcast.mp3

I personally would avoid putting this into a config file, because it can sometimes cause music to distort, especially during a sudden change to higher levels within the music.

Take care

The Following User Says Thank You to alphalux For This Useful Post:
Posts: 503 | Thanked: 267 times | Joined on Jul 2006 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by bunanson View Post
And at the end, it said go to MAN for details/adv options, I have not tried that cause I do not know where is the MAN.....sort of like window user cannot find the any button when asked "press any button to proceed..."
Man pages are one of the standard forms of linux documentation. They are not installed on internet tablet devices due to the need of saving flash space. On desktop linux systems you can type "man <something>" in the terminal to see some kind of documentation.

Also you can just use google and type "man mplayer" or anything else in the search string. (Un)surprisingly it understands this syntax quite fine and finds exactly what you need

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Serge For This Useful Post:
How to decrease movie size, when played in SIB ?
because my movie size 128x86, and when played size increase make terrible..

Please help me ...
Thanks