Active Topics

I used the newest dos-box version to install window 95 on my N800. But after the notification "..Press Esc to exit, press Enter to continue..", I pressed the Enter key, but it delayed the screen for a long time..and it seem to stopping the installation.

What can I do, anyone can help me?

Thank you.

Posts: 466 | Thanked: 142 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Temple Terrorist, FL
You may need to install Windows 95 in a container (image) file instead of the file system. I suggest installing Windows 9x on a FAT16 image file less than 512 MB via a different host operating system like Windows, Linux, or Mac.

The image file can be created using Bochs. Then the dosbox.conf has to be edited to mount the image file at boot up.

A short tutorial explaining how to do this with on Windows used to be here: VOGONS View topic - Windows 9x on DosBox Guide but has either been deleted or requires a log in.

I was able to run Windows 95 and 98 via DOSBox on my N800 using this method.
Apple 68k Mac: Basilisk II
Commodore 64: Frodo
Palm OS: Access GarnetVM
TI-89 Calculator: TiEmu 2

The Following User Says Thank You to OSEmuTech For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by OSEmuTech View Post
You may need to install Windows 95 in a container (image) file instead of the file system. I suggest installing Windows 9x on a FAT16 image file less than 512 MB via a different host operating system like Windows, Linux, or Mac.
Did you mean I may install window 95 on a PC, and then copy the windows folder to N800?

Can you tell me why the screen be delayed after I choose Enter key?

Thank you.

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by minhzc View Post
Did you mean I may install window 95 on a PC, and then copy the windows folder to N800?
No, he suggested:
  1. install Bochs on a Windows, Mac OS, or Linux desktop or notebook computer
  2. use that installation of Bochs to create a FAT16 image file* that is 512MB or less in size
  3. use that installation of Bochs to install Windows 95 inside the FAT16 image file
  4. copy the FAT16 image file (now with Windows 95 inside it) to your tablet
  5. edit the "dosbox.conf" file on your tablet to mount the FAT16 image file when DOSbox is started

* This isn't "image file" as in Photoshop. This is "image file" as in, "imagine you could take photograph of all the zeros and ones stored on your hard drive". The image file is a file that acts like a virtual hard drive. Bochs creates the file, opens it up, and presents it to the Windows 95 installer as a hard drive. Windows is fooled and happily goes about its business, never suspecting that its little world exists inside a file, not a real hard drive.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
Originally Posted by OSEmuTech View Post
...I was able to run Windows 95 and 98 via DOSBox on my N800 using this method.
... Is it really 'running' or kind of like 'walking' ? Mind to drop a few lines for the acctual installation, just my curiosity. TIA,

bun

Posts: 228 | Thanked: 30 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Ontario & Iceland
Why would you run W95 on an N8? Just to see if it can be done or perhaps.....you're...