Active Topics

The Following User Says Thank You to Eladon For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Detroit, MI USA
A couple of questions. I've read most of this thread and haven't seen this discussion yet.

What is the performance impact of running full disk encryption on maemo? For example, if I wanted to watch a (320x240 mpeg 4 part 10 baseline profile level 1.3) video file from a mounted truecrypt volume would it cause playback issues?

Also, how stable is truecrypt 6.0a on diablo?

I'm about to start travelling overseas with my N800 and given all of the attention lately about US Boarder Searches I'm not really willing to give up the contents of my SD cards without a fight (even if it is just entertainment for the flight).

I may try and test this tonight, but I'd be curious to know if anyone has tried it.

Last edited by chong; 2008-09-24 at 20:41.

I need some help please.
I always get "Error: No such file or directory: losetup" when I try to mount a volume with truecrypt51 or truecrypt6.
I tried it with a volume created with PC but also with volumes created on N800 with newest maemo version.
My console log is:
Code:
Nokia-N800-43-7:~# /home/user/tc6 -t -c
Volume type:
 1) Normal
 2) Hidden
Select [1]:

Enter volume path: /media/mmc2/container

Enter volume size (sizeK/size[M]/sizeG): 10M

Encryption algorithm:
 1) AES
 2) Serpent
 3) Twofish
 4) AES-Twofish
 5) AES-Twofish-Serpent
 6) Serpent-AES
 7) Serpent-Twofish-AES
 8) Twofish-Serpent
Select [1]:

Hash algorithm:
 1) RIPEMD-160
 2) SHA-512
 3) Whirlpool
Select [1]:

Filesystem:
 1) FAT
 2) None
Select [1]:

Enter password:
Re-enter password:

Enter keyfile path [none]:

Please type at least 320 randomly chosen characters and then press Enter:
uhouiewhriuwenzhrvutnrhewk......

Done: 100.000%  Speed:  1.0 MB/s  Left: 0 s

The TrueCrypt volume has been successfully created.
Nokia-N800-43-7:~# /home/user/tc6 --filesystem=vfat /media/mmc2/container /media/mmc2/Secure
Warning: Your system uses an old version of the Linux kernel.

Due to a bug in the Linux kernel, your system may stop responding when writing data to a TrueCrypt volume. This problem can be solved by upgrading the kernel to version 2.6.24 or later.
Enter password for /media/mmc2/container:
Enter keyfile [none]:
Protect hidden volume? (y=Yes/n=No) [No]:
Error: No such file or directory:
losetup
Nokia-N800-43-7:~#
I get exactly the same with tc5.
I installed fuse_2.7.3_armel.deb and i have linked the libstdc++.6.0.9.
Has anyone an idea what causes this error?
Do I need some other modules also for vfat?
thanks for any reply.

It works now. I do it exactly like in the last post. Somehow the error doesn't show up anymore.
I have installed easycrypt in the meantime. Maybe that has fixed the error (or it has installed something which was missing before). And I have added the lines from the readme to the sudoers file. I thought that it is only needed for the easycrpt-gui. Anyway, it works now!
And another problem was that I must not be root when mounting the volume, because if I mount as root I have no access to the folder in the filemanager.

Now, I have another question: I want to have some truecrypt volumes of around 50 GB. Which filesystem should I use for that. At the moment I have all tc volumes on pc formatted as ntfs. Is it somehow possible to mount ntfs volumes of this size?
I have installed the ntfs-3g package.
Or is it possible and better with vfat?

Edit:
I have tried mounting ntfs with follwing command:
Code:
tc6 --filesystem=ntfs-3g --force --fs-options="uid=0,gid=0,umask=0007" /home/user/MyDocs/test /media/mmc2/Secure/
but I get this error:
Code:
Error: mount: mounting /dev/loop0 on /media/mmc2/Secure failed
Shouldn't it be possible somehow?

Last edited by locutus; 2009-01-05 at 18:11.

Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
Am I correct in concluding that there is currently no program that allows the user to have a password-protected SD Disk that will run on OS2008?

Help Save This Forum
for N8x0/Diablo Users! Register and Vote for Solution #1 on this Brainstorm. (The Solution will let you see New Posts with any threads you choose -- like the N900 and Maemo5/Fremantle threads -- filtered out.) (To understand the Solution better, see these posts #17, #18, and #19.)

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
locutus, NTFS should theoretically work, are you sure /media/mmc2/Secure is residing on / and are you sure there are no bad sectors? Can you check with dmesg if the kernel gave some kind of error? Or else, check the TrueCrypt log or syslog?

Originally Posted by GeraldKo View Post
Am I correct in concluding that there is currently no program that allows the user to have a password-protected SD Disk that will run on OS2008?
There is: TrueCrypt. With this frontend. Although it uses LRW mode because of the ancient Linux kernel included.

My Nokia E71 has 'password-protected SD Disk', but I have no clue how it works or how strong the cryptography is.

Originally Posted by locutus View Post
I have tried mounting ntfs with follwing command:
Code:
tc6 --filesystem=ntfs-3g --force --fs-options="uid=0,gid=0,umask=0007" /home/user/MyDocs/test /media/mmc2/Secure/
but I get this error:
Code:
Error: mount: mounting /dev/loop0 on /media/mmc2/Secure failed
Shouldn't it be possible somehow?
I get this same error mounting ntfs formatted volumes. The workaround I use is to first load the volume with the --filesystem=none option and then mount /dev/loop0 manually.

Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
Just letting Securix know: I, for one, would still really appreciate a .deb-installable GUI-based volume encryptor for Diablo. For Linux-limited me, this thread leads me to believe that the current state of EasyCrypt is not usable by a Know-Little like myself.

Help Save This Forum
for N8x0/Diablo Users! Register and Vote for Solution #1 on this Brainstorm. (The Solution will let you see New Posts with any threads you choose -- like the N900 and Maemo5/Fremantle threads -- filtered out.) (To understand the Solution better, see these posts #17, #18, and #19.)

Hi
I would like to test this application and see how reliable it is .
am pretty newbie in the encryption kind of details but would definitely try to use them and add them to maemo.org

Could you tell me in detail (from starting ) about the steps how I can make it working on my internet table device?

In course of time I would like and will be working for to see a GUI based deb file which would simply do everything for user . Lets hope how it goes.

Best Regards

Hi
I was able to install easycrypt and test truecrypt from command line.
I was able to successfully use truecrypt to create a container volume and mount it to a directory and use it properly.

Is it possible for me to encrypt the whole harddisk ? What are the command line options to do that?

Easycrypt didnt help me . I was able to creat a new volume,but when i try to mount it says password is incorrect. Am not sure wht is the reason.

Best Regards,
Rakesh.