Notices

Posts: 1,559 | Thanked: 1,786 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Boston
I suspect it's because the control profile is changed when it reverts to defaults. There are a number of different profiles you can choose from in the menu; one of them uses arrow keys and one uses ESDF, etc.

If the built-in keyboard layout workaround i added to PrBoom ends up working out without problems for people, i'm going to add it to UQM and make the joydev/accelemymote optional. The motives for that change of plans are
  1. Knowing a way to do it that is fairly unobtrusive
  2. Having no ETA still from Attila on the joydev package, and
  3. Not really liking the accelerometer as a control for the game

UQM for Maemo 5 / N900 now has its own official thread and a new release that resolves (hopefully) all the issues i am aware of and have control over. Please take all discussion of the Fremantle/Maemo 5 version of UQM there. This thread will remain open for the discussion of earlier releases.

Thanks.
-Flandry

Unofficial PR1.3/Meego 1.1 FAQ

Classic example of arbitrary Nokia decision making. Couldn't just fallback to the no brainer of tagging with lat/lon if network isn't accessible, could you Nokia?
MAME: an arcade in your pocket
Accelemymote: make your accelerometer more joy-ful

Last edited by Flandry; 2010-03-26 at 13:24.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flandry For This Useful Post:
I can't seem to find any packages for diablo (it isn't in extras-devel for diablo) and I doubt the fremantle packages work on the n800 so... would someone mind posting/hosting the older packages or building the updated uqm for the n800?

The original repo for uqm seems to have been hosted on a university personal page which is no longer active. archive.org doesn't seem to have a copy of the files either... which was my first stop in hunting them down.

Also does the n800 package for uqm support a bluetooth joystick like the n900 package seem to (I don't have an n900 I just read that it did)... it seems that would greatly enhance gameplay with a regular bluetooth or possibly usb game controller.

Posts: 1,359 | Thanked: 717 times | Joined on May 2009 @ ...standing right behind you...
I also can't find a way to install this on Maemo4 any more (latest app + game files).

If anyone have links/files please post them with some steps for how to get this up and running on Mameo4
AutoScan, Diablo5 Theme, Dialcentral, DragLock, EmelFM2, FlipClock, gPodder, Headphoned, Knots 2, Maemo Mapper, mPlayer, openNTPD, OpenSSH, Panucci, Personal Launcher, QuickNote, Seqretary, SlideLock, Telescope, YellowNotes

Posts: 1,716 | Thanked: 3,007 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Warsaw, Poland
Is there a way of skipping arcade part of ship fighting?
This is a great game with great storyline, but there's no way I'm going to win ship battles using N900 keyboard...

Posts: 1,463 | Thanked: 1,916 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Edmonton, AB
Originally Posted by smoku View Post
Is there a way of skipping arcade part of ship fighting?
This is a great game with great storyline, but there's no way I'm going to win ship battles using N900 keyboard...
you're joking, right? it's fine when you play using the ps3 controller, lol
you can also set the battles to auto if you are that bad, but it's better to avoid combat quite often.

avoid battle or upgrade your ships weapons. Maxed out the main ship is pretty formidable. Formidable as in multi-directional homing laser beams.

Pretty awesome.

I agree, when playing the battles I keep thinking, "Man, with a good controller, I would own at this."

Guess practice or upgrades in this case make perfect.

2d

just get rid of the slylandro probes ASAP and then upgrade the mother ship, perhaps find a few rainbow worlds and upgrade with the marshmellow dudes still a tough game to play!

Posts: 1,716 | Thanked: 3,007 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by Creamy Goodness View Post
you're joking, right? it's fine when you play using the ps3 controller, lol
I usually play while commuting.
I would need to ask the guy next to me at Metro, to hold my N900 while I'm playing. ;-)

Posts: 1,559 | Thanked: 1,786 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Boston
It can be tough to win those first fights, regardless of controls. As was discussed a while ago (possibly in the N900-specific uqm thread), there's a fair amount of strategy involved such as choosing the right ship and tactics. This becomes less of an issue later in the game when you can (if you choose) soup up your flagship into a killing machine and bruteforce any fight (except the last one...)

I still have the idea of modifying the lander controls on the todo list, but if you have any ideas for improving the ship controls, i'd be interested in hearing.

Unofficial PR1.3/Meego 1.1 FAQ

Classic example of arbitrary Nokia decision making. Couldn't just fallback to the no brainer of tagging with lat/lon if network isn't accessible, could you Nokia?
MAME: an arcade in your pocket
Accelemymote: make your accelerometer more joy-ful

The Following User Says Thank You to Flandry For This Useful Post:
Hi everyone.
I got so fed up with searching for the deb packages for UQM on os2008 that I ended up emailing ZerionSeven about it.
Here is his reply:

Code:
Hi, 

Seems my school has at some point decided to nuke all the personal web pages for some reason. Fortunately I had a backup and have made a mirror here: http://zerion7.pp.fi/lut-old/

Note however, that I'm not maintaining these nor have any plans to do so in the future.
Hopefully this'll help someone.

Last edited by HelloMello; 2010-08-19 at 12:49.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HelloMello For This Useful Post: