Originally Posted by EverythingBlaxx View Post
Because FW updates aren't something to tack a release date on. You can't schedule a bugfix or a feature that didn't make it into the previous firmware because it wasn't ready yet.

Just ask all those Android users waiting on a 2.x update how they feel about release dates LOL
you dont have to schedule anything..
you just release every 2 or 3 months.. what is ready then.
so you have a release branch where bug fixes are applied to
you have feature branches where you work and test featues and when they are stable enough the developer can commit it to the release branch just after a release cut (so a full cycle of testing can be done and the next cut will have that feature)

so its not about planning all the features or bugfixes, its just that you do a steady stream of firmware updates, that are fixes and features that are readdy.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to jcompagner For This Useful Post:
Is it unpredictable? What the hell "unpredictable" mean here? From now to infinite?

Of course not, the n900 will be obsoleted So for sure before 2012/2013, well, will it have sense after the release of a full meego tablet? No, so we expect PR 1.2. before the end of 2011.
Is it commercially useful to wait so much stopping developers and annoying users? no, so we expect it before the end of 2010, let's say in the next 3 months.
This may be a deadline, after that PR 1.2. will not be released at all.

So the world "unpredictable" becomes "in max 3 month".

Just like to hear some similiar words officially from Nokia, that may be completed by "delay announce" if all developers get a virus and stay at bed

The silence is the worst thing when user/developer community is so streesed!

What is really amazing is that Nokia have no problem with rushing hardware to market, even if it results with bugs that can't be fixed and missing features (project deadline was the reason given for not having host mode). Yet they have no problem sitting on software bug fixes for long months with some lame "QA" excuses.

"N900 community support for the MeeGo-Harmattan" Is the new "Mer is Fremantle for N810".

No more Nokia devices for me.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Matan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 54 | Thanked: 29 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Catalonia
My two cents.

Number One: PR1.2 is late because it is intended to be the last fo the line (that I think). From then on all efforts on Meego.

Number Two: Maybe some outside application or some Meego decision made the releasing stop to be able to integrate the new feature/software. Number One applies here too.

Number three: I understand a new release has two sets of things: Changes in structure of the way the system starts and works ( the place the things are located, the OS systems that are used and profiling stuff) and then it has new versions of programs with resolved bugs and new features. THe thing here is: while PR1.2 needed the first set of things done before releasing, the second one could have been solved through updates of the specific packages way after releasing.

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
I don't blame nokia. I think they fully understand that 'mistakes' like this will be forgotten immediately and that the users are generally a forgetful bunch once they're full and happy.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

The Following User Says Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ysss View Post
I don't blame nokia. I think they fully understand that 'mistakes' like this will be forgotten immediately and that the users are generally a forgetful bunch once they're full and happy.
Yeah, tell that to the N97 customers. Even Nokia admitted it's mistake on that one and heads are falling after the shareholders meeting this week.
I had a N95 8GB, Nokia released the N96 (essentialy same hardware if a bit slower yet) and they wrote the N95 off (fp 2 vs fp3).
If crapple can release their zoophone in 2007 and keep OS/features compatibility 3+ years later, I don`t see the reason Nokia can`t.
For gods sake Nokia`s core bussiness is mobile phones, they own symbian, maemo with all those developers. If the outsider (crapple) can do it WTF is NOKIA doing?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to xenkof For This Useful Post:
Posts: 131 | Thanked: 46 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Michigan
Originally Posted by xenkof View Post
Yeah, tell that to the N97 customers. Even Nokia admitted it's mistake on that one and heads are falling after the shareholders meeting this week.
I had a N95 8GB, Nokia released the N96 (essentialy same hardware if a bit slower yet) and they wrote the N95 off (fp 2 vs fp3).
If crapple can release their zoophone in 2007 and keep OS/features compatibility 3+ years later, I don`t see the reason Nokia can`t.
For gods sake Nokia`s core bussiness is mobile phones, they own symbian, maemo with all those developers. If the outsider (crapple) can do it WTF is NOKIA doing?
How I see it is Nokia is still on a very slow learning curve with smart devices. Nokia to me has been known and built their core buisness on stupid phones ie barebone just want to make a call and get voice messages. I think we all can agree Nokia hit that nail right on the head with phones dirt cheap and dirt cheap to make.

If you look at the entire fleet of Nokia "smartphones" there hasn't been really any large "wow" factor with any of them. Sure I love my N900 to death but it's hardly anything earth breaking. Until Nokia wakes up their shares in the mobile market is going to keep slipping meego or not.

Sorry for the slight derail but it seemed this topic was going in this direction. . .

About PR1.2, I will wait until a stable version is out not because I don't like to play but simply because I don't want to have a huge let down when I install it.

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Originally Posted by xenkof View Post
but... You bought an N900 right?
And you'll still buy Nokia in th future right?

Crapple has razor sharp focus.. And they're the master of retail seduction..
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

Originally Posted by ysss View Post
but... You bought an N900 right?
And you'll still buy Nokia in th future right?

Crapple has razor sharp focus.. And they're the master of retail seduction..
Well I for one has bought my last Nokia. Im just hoping that PR1.2 will give my lousy N900 some better 2nd hand market appeal so I dont loose to much. Or maybe Nitdroid will work on it with phone and android market.

Posts: 670 | Thanked: 747 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Kansas City, Missouri, USA
Originally Posted by Bijiont View Post
If you look at the entire fleet of Nokia "smartphones" there hasn't been really any large "wow" factor with any of them.
Agreed. I would never have purchased a Symbian phone. Before the N900 I would never have considered buying anything Nokia. I'm not a fanboi for any company's hardware.

Sure I love my N900 to death but it's hardly anything earth breaking.
Disagree. I bought a N900 precisely because it IS earth-breaking. a truly revolutionary device. Well, not the hardware, though it's good, but really Maemo/MeeGo. For me, it's the concept of an open, pocket linux computer that sets the N900 far apart from everything else.

Until Nokia wakes up their shares in the mobile market is going to keep slipping meego or not.
It will take a couple of years for the whole MeeGo + Symbian + Qt strategy to get up to speed and gain significant traction in the marketplace. 'Til that happens, Nokia's share may well slip some. They'll have to remain confident that they've put the correct plan in motion for long-term success, which I believe they have. If they panic and change course again...well that would be very bad.

Sorry for taking this any further off-topic...

About PR1.2, I will wait until a stable version is out not because I don't like to play but simply because I don't want to have a huge let down when I install it.
The worst thing Nokia could do is release it before it's very thoroughly tested and totally stable. That would far, far worse than grumbling about delays. They know that. My N900 must be completely reliable, I depend on it, and it has been. I can wait.
Registered Linux user #266531.

The Following User Says Thank You to Crashdamage For This Useful Post:

Tags
black hole, vortex of dumb