I just got my N810 and want to upgrade the OS but also been reading up on programs requiring root mode.

So far there is a bunch of programs that will give you root, then there is the R&D mode with flash.

I am wondering which is the best method? Doing --enable-rd or using an external program?

Thank in advance.

Easiest imo is installing OpenSSH - you get a prompt asking you to enter a root password.

Do that, login as root, add user to sudoers with associated password, remove root password, remove root user, then use "sudo su -" to gain root shell as user.

Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
I wouldn't call that "easiest". It may be the most useful for you, but for your average user both easyroot and becomeroot are a case of:

1) Install.
2) Type 'sudo gainroot'

easyroot even allows the second step to just be "root".

The question of which is "best" depends on what nibag's trying to do (which, without more information, we can't really address)

The Following User Says Thank You to Jaffa For This Useful Post:
It make it easier to type type the follow:

Open a Terminal:
Code:
$ echo sudo gainroot > rt
Code:
$ sudo gainroot
Code:
 # chmod +x rt
Code:
 # mv rt /bin/
Now when you open a Term all you have to type is:

Code:
$ rt
And it will drop you install a root shell.

Originally Posted by Jaffa View Post
I wouldn't call that "easiest". It may be the most useful for you, but for your average user both easyroot and becomeroot are a case of:

1) Install.
2) Type 'sudo gainroot'

easyroot even allows the second step to just be "root".

The question of which is "best" depends on what nibag's trying to do (which, without more information, we can't really address)

The Following User Says Thank You to BOFH For This Useful Post:
BOFH thats an excellent tip.

What he is doing is copying the contents of gainroot to rt, becoming root in order to give root permissions to the executable flag of the rt file, then moving it into your $PATH, thats where it auto looks for apps.

I just posted an updated for OS2008 howto be root on my blog. I don't normally point there.. but its easier than repeating the instructions here.

Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
You do know that to have BOFH's tip working, you need easyroot or becomeroot installed first?

Also I thought #!/bin/sh was meant to be the first line. Not sure on this one though.

Sorry for sounding like a knob in this post.

Yes I realize he needs becomeroot installed already, its still a good tip for a quick way of running the script.

An alias is better, IMHO:

Code:
alias rt='sudo gainroot'
sets it up for this shelll, but to make it automatic:

Code:
echo "alias rt='sudo gainroot'" >> ~/.profile

The Following User Says Thank You to Benson For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
Originally Posted by Benson View Post
An alias is better, IMHO:

Code:
alias rt='sudo gainroot'
sets it up for this shelll, but to make it automatic:

Code:
echo "alias rt='sudo gainroot'" >> ~/.profile
I just entered, as root, the two code strings above, in the order provided, and I thought the result would be that when I am at $ and entered rt that I would be taken to root. But that's not what happened. Instead, I get

-sh: rt: not found

Is there some prerequisite I missed? Or do the two code strings need to be entered in the opposite order?

Here's a copy of what I did in Xterm:

/home/user # alias rt='sudo gainroot'
/home/user # echo "alias rt='sudo gainroot'" >> ~/.profiile
/home/user # exit
~ $ rt
-sh: rt: not found

Help Save This Forum
for N8x0/Diablo Users! Register and Vote for Solution #1 on this Brainstorm. (The Solution will let you see New Posts with any threads you choose -- like the N900 and Maemo5/Fremantle threads -- filtered out.) (To understand the Solution better, see these posts #17, #18, and #19.)

Last edited by GeraldKo; 2008-04-01 at 17:05.

Well what i want to do is have root for the future to run apps and hack my 810.

just that there was so much different ways and are those any different from enabling rd mode via flash?