The N810 looks awesome! Actually, it almost looks as good as a PC! However, what are some things you can"t do on the N810 but you can on a PC? Thanks for your comments!

3D games... and the processor leaves quite a bit to be desired.. and while its within the realm of possibility...hasnt been done yet - a full screen monitor like a "docking" station.
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

The Following User Says Thank You to fatalsaint For This Useful Post:
You can't multitask well on a tablet, due to the limited RAM. And singletasking is slow, due to the processor.

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Anything that requires a really good sight of the screen, such as elaborate graphics or professional editing, is inherantly not-so-good -- that's why editors and graphics artists tend to use oversize screens, not screens of a few inches across.

Even Captains Picard and Kirk, with all the technology at their command, return to the command center when things get rough. The tablet is essentially for people who aren't at home base.

Posts: 1,012 | Thanked: 817 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ France
PC are many time noisy due to fancie, the tablett isn't !
PC consume many power a average of 500 W !!

And when you buy one instead of assembly by your self, you need to reinstall a real system as a virus named "Vista" is already on the hd.

Posts: 39 | Thanked: 13 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Genoa, Italy
On N810 you can't run Windows or other applications available only for PC (somebody used emulators to run some PC appliations but the ones that work usually are very slow, just as proof of concept, not an usable option) neither use devices designed to be used only on PC.

Posts: 883 | Thanked: 980 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Bern, Switzerland
It probably depends a lot on your planned usage and what kind of user you are (Enduser/Consumer; Professional; Developper/Hacker) and how much time you want to invest to add additional features.

PC with Microsoft Windows: The largest software ecosystem in the world. Very easy to start developing your own software, integrate tons of hardware etc.
N810: An internet tablet. Primarely a very good and pocketable websurfing and internet communication platform. Secondarely added-value through some additional software on a consumer level. Potentially lots of additional software through porting of existing Linux applications, but factually only available to very technical people due to high barrier of entry / advanced tinkering necessities.

On a PC you can do "everything, no limits".
On a N810, there are some things that can be done very well, mainly based around the "Internet Tablet" usage (because this is what is was meant to be in the first place and what it was built for in an enduser/consumer perspective :-)

Last edited by twaelti; 2008-08-05 at 09:36.

Unless you have lots of linux experience, don't get the N810 unless you will be happy with most of the included apps. Many 3rd party apps requires command prompt savvy tweaking.
Simutanious surfing is limited to about 3 windows of basic html and one window if you are using an intensive google app, ex. java, ajax, flash, etc

Most video, including youtube tends to stutter a bit. The N810 is not totally media friendly unless you convert the video files via the Nokia IT Video Converter on a PC first. Meaning, the N810 is not a stand-alone computing solution. You'll be using a PC in conjunction for non-mobile apps and certain websites.

Basically I use mine on two occations.
1. For travelling, using the gps/maps, check email, RSS feeds, etc. lighter then a laptop.
2. Keep it by my bedside for those times I want to check something quick online without having to get up and turn on the PC, or when my wife is into her 3rd hour of Facebook on the PC and I need to check my email.
Other then that I find its easier to use a laptop.

Last edited by sirfelix; 2008-08-05 at 09:44.

Posts: 1,605 | Thanked: 1,601 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Southern California
I use my tablet(s) for almost everything. Seriously. I multitask just fine on them as well.

What don't I use my tablet for?

Obviously: Adobe & Macromedia suites (e.g., image, video, Flash development).

But, really, that's it... I can go days without opening my laptop.

Tim

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to timsamoff For This Useful Post:
I find that typing intensive tasks should be done on my laptop/desktop. But, as already mentioned, your needs will really dictate how much satisfaction you get with the device.