Active Topics

Posts: 6 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Germany
Hi,

Ive tried to do this:
http://maemo.org/community/wiki/HowT...From_MMC_card/

I did everything that stands there, but when I type the command
Code:
# ./targnu cf - -C /floppy . | ./targnu xvf - -C /opt
in the "Now it's time to clone the whole original system !" section, my 770 (OS2006) always reboots. When I tried it for the first time, it took about a half our or so and then crashed, but when I do it now, it crashes after maybe five minutes.
To find out if there are any errors, I sent the output to a file, but there are only directories listed, no error. The only thing I can say is that it does not crash at the always same position.

I have to admit Im a complete linux noob, I dont even know what that command should do, but Id like to boot from mmc...

So what can I do? Do I have to try to fix that (how?) or can I simply skip that step?

yYy

Posts: 275 | Thanked: 46 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Raleigh, NC
Will the install file here for the N800 work?
http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...92&postcount=1

No, I tried it four (or five?) times now. It sometimes crashes only the application manager and sometimes the whole device. And it alway lasts a different time.

EDIT:
I canged my mind. maybe I dont need a complete copy of my old system. How can I install another OS (lets say 2007HE) on the mmc?

Last edited by yYy; 2008-08-10 at 19:02.

Posts: 232 | Thanked: 45 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Tennessee, US
there are some direction on the ITT wiki.

Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
Originally Posted by yYy View Post
No, I tried it four (or five?) times now. It sometimes crashes only the application manager and sometimes the whole device. And it alway lasts a different time.

EDIT:
I canged my mind. maybe I dont need a complete copy of my old system. How can I install another OS (lets say 2007HE) on the mmc?

How about this one, http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...ad.php?t=22155

I tried 'his' stuff on my 770 and it worked

bun

Posts: 664 | Thanked: 160 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Australia
Hi,
I've seen many doing boot from mmc. So, I was wondering whats the advantage of doing so? Thanks.

Posts: 234 | Thanked: 40 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Cincinnati, Ohio USA
Advantages are:
1) More memory space for apps. Especially things like KDE (windows like desktop environment).
2) Creates a backup - normal memory remains a safe place to boot (even includes a chkdsk utility to repair MMC). This allows you to confidently experiment with apps and hacks on the MMC.
3) with the 770 there is reported a HUGE increase in performance. The N800 and N810 the advantage is probably not noticeable. Apps in built in memory get compressed and decompressed as they are accessed.

Last edited by TheGogmagog; 2008-08-11 at 13:31.

So, does this mean, it is not possible to install another OS directly to mmc and I always have to flash the device with the desired os and copy it to mmc?

Originally Posted by yYy View Post
So, does this mean, it is not possible to install another OS directly to mmc and I always have to flash the device with the desired os and copy it to mmc?
In a "broad sense", the answer is NO, one always has to copy the OS from device flash to MMC.

Well, if you are really good with hacking, you can 'ghost' a previous load OS to MMC via other venue (Linux box, winPC). For the ave user, you probably have to load your device with the OS you like and clone to your mmc.

bun

Originally Posted by TheGogmagog View Post
Advantages are:
1) More memory space for apps. Especially things like KDE (windows like desktop environment)....
Space is a more critical issue for the 770 than the N8x0 as 128 MB vs 256 MB. For the ave user, after cleaning out some user manual, audio clips...., to gain another 89 MB on the N8x0, space is all right for the N8x0 unless one ventures into KDE/Debian etc.

bun