Posts: 43 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Feb 2009 @ Saint Paul, mn
Ok folks, got my N800 this week. Never touched one before this and I'm quite happy with it. I was able to update the OS to 2008 5.xxx which took care of one of my immediate problems(it didn't play well with my wireless N router). The web browsing experience is awesome. I plan to really dig in and do some programming for it soon(I'm a neophyte python programmer), but I have some initial questions which I can't seem to find simple answers to. As a bonus to this, I plan to compile all of the info I've been finding about my N800 online in some form of documentation.

Question 1 is about FBreader: I found the format list from the FbReader website, but I am clueless about how to convert things.
1) Is there any good apps to convert PDF to open ebook or palmdoc? I struggle with this one since I wish to use my N800 as a ebook reader and I think it would be excellent.

Question 2 is about internal memory: It seems limited.
2) Is there a way to use an SD card as extended application storage? I see something online about using the card in the internal slot and using it for swap(virtual memory), but can I store apps on the SD card and launch them from the menu or do I have to go command line.

Question 3 is about syncing
3) I would love to sync my N800 with google cal or outlook (for corporate use). Nothing seems to work. The apps I have tried that advertise this mCalendar with synchro doesn't launch.
gives me a captcha required error message. Its a nice app. Any way around this?

Question 4 is about bluetooth
4) Can I move files back and forth from windows via bluetooth?

Question 5 is about remote access to the Nokia
5) IS there a way to remotely log in to the N800 from a pc over a bluetooth/wireless or cabled connection?

Question 6 is a truly newby quesion
6) in FBreader how do I advance one page? The bar at the bottom of the screen advances a ways and the nav buttons don't seem efficient. Can I click the screen to advance?

Thanks for any and all your help on this. I appreciate your time.

Last edited by gpmartinson; 2009-02-14 at 15:58.

Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
Q2: read first two links in my sig
Q6: tap in bottom third -- you've discovered its many preferences, yes?

For all your questions, truly, see my Newbie links.

And welcome to the wonderful world of Tablets. (Speaking as a user, it will be nice to have another Python programmer among us.)

Help Save This Forum
for N8x0/Diablo Users! Register and Vote for Solution #1 on this Brainstorm. (The Solution will let you see New Posts with any threads you choose -- like the N900 and Maemo5/Fremantle threads -- filtered out.) (To understand the Solution better, see these posts #17, #18, and #19.)

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by gpmartinson View Post
1) Is there any good apps to convert PDF to open ebook or palmdoc? I struggle with this one since I wish to use my N800 as a ebook reader and I think it would be excellent.
PDF is a pain in the ***. I just avoid them at all costs. Somebody else may have more insight.

2) Is there a way to use an SD card as extended application storage? I see something online about using the card in the internal slot and using it for swap(virtual memory), but can I store apps on the SD card and launch them from the menu or do I have to go command line.
Yes, see the wiki article.

5) IS there a way to remotely log in to the N800 from a pc over a bluetooth/wireless or cabled connection?
Yes, see the wiki article.

6) in FBreader how do I advance one page? The bar at the bottom of the screen advances a ways and the nav buttons don't seem efficient. Can I click the screen to advance?
Use the zoom buttons on top. Then browse through the preferences, as it has answers to all of your questions about buttons and navigation and options to configure them to your liking.

The Following User Says Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
Posts: 395 | Thanked: 137 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Boone, IA
Looks like GeraldKo & GA beat me to the punch...Listen to their WISDOM...

First off, Welcome!

Second, to appease the elder forum gurus: the forum search is your friend Most, if not all your questions are probably answered here.

Third:

Q2: iirc the file system on the sd card does not allow launching apps...

However, Check out Penguinbait's Console Tools

Cloning to the SD card alleviates the space limitations of the built in memory.

Q3: So far none of the Cal/Contacts apps on the N8x0 are perfect. However, mCalendar does sync with Gcal. I don't know if this will help but when I had a similar problem, it turned out that the AutoCapitalization of the first char in the password entry was my problem.

The GPE suite also syncs to Gcal via another app: Erminig. This is not as easy as mCal but can be done.

Q4: As long as you can pair the PC and the N800, it should just be drag and drop from the File Manager on the tablet.

Q5: I haven't done this yet, but you should check out SSH to connect to the shell on the tablet from a PC.

N800 (retired...soon to eBay)
Favorite Apps: CommunitySSU,DiabloTurbo, Flipclock, Keepnote, Dialcentral, Gizmo5 ,MediaBox/pyFMradio, Telescope,Diablo5 theme, Tear, Personal Menu/Launcher, OMWeather,Blubbels, Advanced Power/Backlight...now to play with Garnet6...

The Following User Says Thank You to Snoshrk For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
another option for launching apps from SD is debian chroot. tho not really maemo apps...

Posts: 43 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Feb 2009 @ Saint Paul, mn
Thanks guys! this is awesome. No one has seen the Catcha issue in mCalendar though? The answers are awesome and there is a ton of useful stuff out there. I just have to dig a bit.

Originally Posted by tso View Post
another option for launching apps from SD is debian chroot. tho not really maemo apps...
But the same can be accomplished with either dual-booting or formatting the card ext2/3. I wouldn't recommend Debian Chroot to a new user!

As to the capcha, someone upthread had it, and I had the same problem.

Unless you nuke it in the control panel text input settings, the N800 will helpfully capitalise the first word you put into a text panel.

Including your password.

So enter your google username without anything like @gmail in the username field in the mcalendar preferences under google synchronization, and you will see the first letter is a capital. IT does the same to your password.

To fix it, when you type your password hit shift then the first letter.

Zebee

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
Originally Posted by BrentDC View Post
But the same can be accomplished with either dual-booting or formatting the card ext2/3. I wouldn't recommend Debian Chroot to a new user!
maybe so, tho dual booting is not a foolproof system either, especially when a ssu comes around (tho more and more unlikely).

Originally Posted by tso View Post
maybe so, tho dual booting is not a foolproof system either, especially when a ssu comes around (tho more and more unlikely).
Well, I think an SSU can mess anyone up dual-booted or not...

I've been OK with updating SD Card, updating Internal, then reflashing Bootmenu.