Active Topics

Posts: 21 | Thanked: 14 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ Queens, New York
hey all i installed sliderotate but decIded i dont want it. now after uninstalling it, though, my 'power' button only activates the menu with a double-press. how can i revert it to work with single press?

imho it is extremely irresponsible for a developer to not have housekeeping for settings like thnis if u remove the app. really irresponsible.

The Following User Says Thank You to DanielT For This Useful Post:
Posts: 678 | Thanked: 197 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ San Jose CA
You should know that there is always a risk of installing un-supportive software.

They gave us free software. It's us, who do not backup our stuff, irresponsible!
You should give them more thanks for their intentions even the software don't work.

Believe me they try their best but sliderotation, for example, is the stuff that modifies the kernel so it's more dangerous than a normal app.

But I also think Nokia irresponsible for not fixing known kernel bugs (confusing of mmc1/mmc2 on the N810 for example) than anybody out there just spend their time to build an app for us to try out.

You should do a backup now; then re-flash the N8x0; then restore; then your N8x0 will behave normal again.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to nhanquy For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by nhanquy View Post
They gave us free software. It's us, who do not backup our stuff, irresponsible!
C'mone, am I irresponsible for expecting that removing the software should revert back my machine ? Absolutly not.

I'm using sliderotate, and I would like to thank the developper who made it, I'm not really worried about the power button change (even if I disabled it, but still need to double press).
But the dev need to know : "if you cant revert back your changes, dont screw up my machine even if I'll more likely to keep your tool installed"

I'm sure there is a way to correct this problem without reflashing, I hope somebody will post it here.

The Following User Says Thank You to karatchov For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,605 | Thanked: 1,601 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Southern California
Well, since the app (http://garage.maemo.org/projects/sliderotate/) is still in Beta, then you are definitely using it at your own risk. When apps are still in Beta, they can be very buggy. And, while the dev may have all intention of creating an experience that's easy for the end-user, one can't complain until the app is, at least, a Release Candidate.

Tim

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to timsamoff For This Useful Post:
Posts: 10 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ Netherlands
I don't know what this software does, but I think it just changed /etc/mce/mce.ini. In that case, you can fix it without reflashing. It's within [PowerKey]. I believe the defaults are
PowerKeyShortAction=menu
PowerKeyLongAction=shutdown
PowerKeyDoubleAction=disabled

Be warned, if you mess this file up, you have to reflash anyway!
After the changed, you have to reload mce: /etc/init.d/mce restart

If you don't know how to change the file etc, maybe someone else can help you. I'm currently in a hurry actually :$

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlueWolf For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Originally Posted by DanielT View Post
hey all i installed sliderotate but decIded i dont want it. now after uninstalling it, though, my 'power' button only activates the menu with a double-press. how can i revert it to work with single press?

imho it is extremely irresponsible for a developer to not have housekeeping for settings like thnis if u remove the app. really irresponsible.

OK, no more soup for you!

Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
Originally Posted by YoDude View Post
OK, no more soup for you!
This is from Seinfeld soup kitchen, just to help those cant figure out what this is. Funny and to the point!

bun

Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
Originally Posted by karatchov View Post
C'mone, am I irresponsible for expecting that removing the software should revert back my machine ? Absolutly not....
You made a quote and then, cut and paste TWO statements, that is NOT a true arguement.

nhanquy posted, quote and quote,
"You should know that there is always a risk of installing un-supportive software.
They gave us free software. It's us, who do not backup our stuff, irresponsible!"

The "irresponsible!" is an adverb for "installing un-supportive software...do not backup...". and have nothing to do with "expecting", "removing", "revert back".

As a matter of fact, nhanquy talking about backup before installing un-supportive software is a very mild and gentle statement. In good practice, one SHOULD, in principle, backup before installing ANY software. Still want to argue? Try install ANY well written software on MSwindow. (please DONT, not another MSwindow linux flame war....)

The bottomline, I am sympathetic and sorry about OP's power button issue as any business towards an unhappy customer, nhanquy stands CORRECT.

Edit: "Old timers" please DO NOT join in this discussion to support or NOT to support, ...., we have to remember this forum should be kind and gentle to new comers....and I just want to point out some discrepance and I will stop right here.

Edit: @DanielT: I used the built-in backup and restore in the past, they work fine, highly recommend.They backup AND restore ALL your 'well behaved' apps, yes all, and your tablet settings, i.e., wifi key, passwords etc. very little work form user standpoint. You should give it a try, as least once, and of course you can try programming too as suggested, Good luck and welcome to the forum!

bun

Last edited by bunanson; 2009-07-03 at 14:21.