Posts: 156 | Thanked: 26 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Scotland
Hi all,

This is my first post on the forum having just ordered my N900 yesterday. Was supposed to be here today but there was a problem with the courier so hopefully i will have it tomorrow - no doubt it will arrive while i'm out and i'll have to wait till after new year!).

I ordered based on some reviews i've read, some were good, some not so good. Then tonight, instead of playing with my N900 i did a bit more research. Having found this site i am now concerned i have made a mistake! it's all doom and gloom! Even knowing this is a new device i was expecting there to be glitches but it seems never ending.

I realise that you tend to find mainly problems online if you look for phones, cars, gadgets,TV's (anything really!) etc etc but really...

is there anything good to say about the N900???

come on guys... REASSURE ME!!!!

This is without a doubt the very best phone/mini computer I have ever owned. Most posts on any forums are going to be people complaining - the people with devices working well etc arent likely to post "YAY ITS AWESOME" posts.
Agro ... : |*****-----] Relic(s) : G1, N900

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bratag For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,559 | Thanked: 1,786 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Boston
"yay its awesome!!!111!"

Dangit it won't let me do all caps. :P

Unofficial PR1.3/Meego 1.1 FAQ

Classic example of arbitrary Nokia decision making. Couldn't just fallback to the no brainer of tagging with lat/lon if network isn't accessible, could you Nokia?
MAME: an arcade in your pocket
Accelemymote: make your accelerometer more joy-ful

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flandry For This Useful Post:
You can't find anything good? Are you specificaly searching for bad things or..? I suggest you do some more research then.

Posts: 2,361 | Thanked: 3,746 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Berlin - Love this city!!

Posts: 156 | Thanked: 26 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Scotland
maybe i'm just picking the wrong threads?

Glad to hear there are folks enjoying the device... cannae wait to get it. Been using WinMo for too long now! Almost bought an android but then i found the N900.

Posts: 327 | Thanked: 249 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Λεμεσιανός, ρε!
Look, what it comes down to is this: does this device meet your needs?
Did you want a smartphone or a portable Linux computer with telephony attached to it? If the former you will be disappointed. An N97 will work better for you. However, if it is the latter, you will be quite content.

Choice is yours

The Following User Says Thank You to skalogre For This Useful Post:
Posts: 208 | Thanked: 69 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ saint petersburg, fl
just dont mess around as root and you should be fine. i dont have the reboot problem or most of the other problems people are talking about. keep your desktop widgets minimal and email updates at longer periods and your battery will last longer.

What is your computing background and why did you choose this device?

I'm very geeky and I've only had it for a week, but this is the best gadget I've ever owned. And I have a storage unit worth of 'em.

Posts: 2,173 | Thanked: 2,678 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Cornwall, UK
The good:

It's serious when it says 'always on'. Compared with the palaver involved in accessing anything online with, say, symbian, n900 does it naturally. Open a twitter app, chat over skype, collect regular email, listen to web-radio - the n900 does it naturally. Upload a photo (pixelpipe), post to your blog (mastory) watch youtube... it's all there.

And, as you'd expect, it has a kick-*** browser integrated with all that.

The media player will happily play your music (though admittedly the playlist creation sucks donkey testes), and you can watch videos on a gorgeous screen resolution.

There's a bunch of useful little apps for all sorts of things - though as yet the set is by no means complete. One thing is you will never be bored with n900 as it will go on improving over time - like a violin or a good marriage.

I confess I have not worked at making the GPS work. Where I live I can find my way about (and I'm the old fashioned type when it comes to maps). And I don't use MMS so their absence doesn't bother me in the slightest - whereas being able to nick the WPA code from my sister's network so I can email or pixelpipe any photos I take there is wonderful. And my RevdKathyMail is a standard op3, so the lack of MfE really hasnt worried me much at all.

So, yes, there are still some things lacking about this device. But if you are prepared to be patient, and work with the device instead of expecting it to nanny you, you will love it. As I do.

The Following User Says Thank You to RevdKathy For This Useful Post: