View Single Post
Posts: 1,313 | Thanked: 2,977 times | Joined on Jun 2011 @ Finland
Originally Posted by KTy View Post
Any chance to add "duration" and "speed rate" of a data connection ?
This way I could create a rule to enable 3G when I am surfing the web or downloading attachment, while stick to 2G the rest of the time...
I'm not sure how well that could be implemented. First of all, as has been recently shown, if you have "allow background connections" off, the platform doesn't report anymore changes to internet connection.

So either it could only work with some N9 configurations, or then the duration would have to be measured in some other way - ie. not by whether internet connection is on, but perhaps by seeing if any data is moving.

And even if I knew how that could be done, it'd require some heuristics. Normal internet usage has data coming and going in some intervals, not in constant stream, so I couldn't just measure the duration when data is transferred but allow some downtime when data is not transferred.

Even if I'd figure the necessary APIs to achieve that (which I'm not sure exist easily achievable on N9), there'd still be some quirks to figure out.

So in short, I'm sorry but I doubt this is something I will implement any time soon (as there's many other areas that need to be implemented) - but I will make a mental note of it, so that if it's requested more I may consider it again.

But the best way would be for someone who needs this feature, and is a developer, to implement this to ProfileMatic. I'm not against such a feature, if it can be done in non-confusing way for the user.

Originally Posted by slarti View Post
I again got pissed off at Nokia for killing it, but I guess that's a normal reaction around here.
For me at least, considerably less of a rage-inducing feeling now that Jolla is continuing the work .

This got me thinking about getting a Jolla but I wouldn't want to get one without knowing that ProfileMatic or something similar is going to be present at some point.

So is it? Is a port even possible and are you considering it? I don't want to make you commit to anything, I'd just like to know the probability of this happening.
I can say that I intend my next phone to be Jolla, and when that happens I will take a look if it makes sense to port ProfileMatic there. My understanding of the platform is, that porting ProfileMatic to Jolla should be possible (at least most features). Which sadly does not hold true as an example for BB10 or Ubuntu Touch.

That said, I don't have the possibility to spend money on a new smartphone anytime soon. So, unless Santa Claus surprises me, I don't think it's going to happen in the next few months - but eventually for sure.

While I was having fun with my N9, I decided to update the finnish translations and my scripts here and here to be compatible with 2.4.2.
Thank you!

Originally Posted by justadude View Post
Any chance of implementing a condition based on bluetooth being on/off and then setting rules for that condition? Thank you.
This has been requested before, so yes... there is a growing chance . Of course since I don't myself have use for BlueTooth it's something without much motivation - but I'd think it'd be relatively easy condition to add, so it's not at all impossible. Can you give me concrete use case how that would be usable and I'll write it down for consideration?

The Following User Says Thank You to ajalkane For This Useful Post: