Active Topics

I need help. All I want to do i see n900 files COMPLETELY. I ran sudo command. I installed Openssh client & server and ran command: ssh root@localhost. I gave it my password. Now what? I just want to change the boot screen! I'm running windows 7 on my main computer.

emelfm2 I think might allow you to browse everything..

Code:
ls -al
Will show you everything in the current directory. If you cd to root (cd /) and run that you'll see all root level directories...

I guess I'm confused at what you are trying to accomplish?
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

The Following User Says Thank You to fatalsaint For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,656 | Thanked: 1,196 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Alabama, USA
if you connect from your computer using something like filezilla it will show you all your files. or use emelfm2 from device like fatalsaint said.

Moved from design to Maemo5 section.

**All Posts are made as a Community Member and not as a Super Moderator of this site.

The Following User Says Thank You to andrewfblack For This Useful Post:
So i have to connect to the device via LAN? I can't do it with a program and usb cord running to my win 7 machine? tried windows total commander, no luck. Just shows DCIM, documents, and such.

Posts: 1,255 | Thanked: 393 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ US
Why can we not just see the files in the file manager? No different from Android or WM in this regard, or a Windows computer for that matter. The argument that people could screw things up could be extended to those OS's as well. Seems ironic a device designed to be free and open is the most awkward to access files in of any OS I have used.

Sure, in Windows you have to activate the viewing option and Android you have to get an app like Astro file manager. Point is you can access the directories while using the device and edit, move, copy etc. without command lines.

Something as simple as changing some Doom wad file names is an example. I should be able to view them in file manager and be able to change the names or delete them. Having to run command lines in terminal for everything seems a tad primitive and if anything, invites more potential for error.

The Following User Says Thank You to Rushmore For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,050 | Thanked: 1,425 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bucharest
What's wrong with sudo gainroot and mc? Or just mc?

Keep the forums clean: use "Thanks" button instead of the thank you post.

The Following User Says Thank You to ndi For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Rushmore View Post
Why can we not just see the files in the file manager? No different from Android or WM in this regard, or a Windows computer for that matter. The argument that people could screw things up could be extended to those OS's as well. Seems ironic a device designed to be free and open is the most awkward to access files in of any OS I have used
Um.. My android phone did *not* come with a file manager that could see everything... in fact I don't think it even came with one. I had to install it from the market... and then you can't do anything with anything not on the SDCARD without a rooted android anyway... so whats the point?

As I said before.. if you install emelfm2 you should be able to see everything... this is no different than android. Except that it's actually possible to launch emelfm2 as root, and thus be able to actually *do* something with your files in this case...
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

The Following User Says Thank You to fatalsaint For This Useful Post:
Posts: 287 | Thanked: 127 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Sweden
Originally Posted by mas5acre View Post
So i have to connect to the device via LAN? I can't do it with a program and usb cord running to my win 7 machine? tried windows total commander, no luck. Just shows DCIM, documents, and such.
That's because what you can see from the PC is only the stuff that's under /home/user/MyDocs, which is a FAT32 partition that gets unmounted when connecting over USB. There are no system files here, they're on a linux (ext2 or ext3, not sure which) on the remaining part of the internal memory. To be able to access them over USB would mean you could no longer use the device while being connected.

Posts: 2,050 | Thanked: 1,425 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bucharest
Indeed. You need to copy what you need to mass storage (copy boot video to the device root - "Nokia N900"), then disconnect USB and use an internal manager or the command line to copy stuff over. Or use MC, it's way more user friendly than cp.

Keep the forums clean: use "Thanks" button instead of the thank you post.

Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
Originally Posted by mas5acre View Post
I need help. All I want to do i see n900 files COMPLETELY. I ran sudo command. I installed Openssh client & server and ran command: ssh root@localhost. I gave it my password. Now what? I just want to change the boot screen! I'm running windows 7 on my main computer.
windSCP will let you see everything on your N900 from win7.
step by step here

bun

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bunanson For This Useful Post: