Brainstorm - http://maemo.org/community/brainstor...ic_tones-n900/

Some pretty basic stuff that I hope is not hard to implement is having caller id specific ring tones instead of just one ring tone for everything, and the same for the alarm clock, being able to have a different ringer for each alarm should be a basic feature.

The first being the most important, I dont bother to answer the phone unless I know its important so I like to give my wife and parents exclusive ring tones so I know its them calling me.

Last edited by chemist; 2010-01-20 at 23:04.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ViciousXUSMC For This Useful Post:
Posts: 384 | Thanked: 95 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Romania
Personally consider this a bug and I reported to Bugzilla. It very god to have personalized ring-tones for family and friends.
I'm a little bit confused... Why nobody react to your post? Because this missing feature is standard implemented in every NSeries device. I'm pretty sure that this it not the thing who makes N900 so special.
Is anyone with us?

Posts: 210 | Thanked: 62 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Helsinki, Finland
They are basic functionality, and I bet they will be implemented sooner or later.

To me more important would be that the phone could say the name of caller like in n95 8g example.
Well, personalized ringtones would be good to have too.

Administrator | Posts: 1,036 | Thanked: 2,019 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Germany
please have a look for contact groups and so on; this is a realy obvious dependency! without groups no group ringtones... (whats the point in having groups without group ringtones?) and there is a brainstorm on that afaik

Originally Posted by chemist View Post
please have a look for contact groups and so on; this is a realy obvious dependency! without groups no group ringtones... (whats the point in having groups without group ringtones?) and there is a brainstorm on that afaik
Because being able to categorize your contacts makes things easier to read, and find? Thats the real purpose to groups.. ringtones is a byproduct that was built atop that. I dont use grouped ringtones but I do use groups.

I think Brainstorm is definitely where these requests belong.. and hopefully the community or Nokia implement them.

A bug report I'm not sure is necessary.. as I consider a bug to be an "unexpected feature" of something that is there.. (IE: Something is actually broken).. not that a particular feature is completely missing. That would be a feature request - which *I think* is handled by brainstorms?

So thumbs up to the OP for the brainstorm.
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

I totally subscribe to this proposal.

I personally used groups both for classifying contacts and group ringtones on my S60 E65, so I can hardly wait for this feature to appear in the N900.

I copy pasted the title from the brainstorm, not sure why/how the title got all messed up and why it has not been fixed yet

But yeah I consider this a "brainstorm" as its an idea I have for something that should be added to the N900 functionality. A bug to me is when something is not working as intended but currently contact specific ring tones were not intended thus there is no bug.

Administrator | Posts: 1,036 | Thanked: 2,019 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Germany
Originally Posted by fatalsaint View Post
Because being able to categorize your contacts makes things easier to read, and find? Thats the real purpose to groups.. ringtones is a byproduct that was built atop that. I dont use grouped ringtones but I do use groups.
well you use it that way... I am able to use it for about 8 years, set it up once and never used it as there was no function on any phone I used apart of locked call lists and ringtones...
I think Brainstorm is definitely where these requests belong.. and hopefully the community or Nokia implement them.
thats not what I asked...
we have several topics allready talking about groups, ring tones and so on...

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=38010
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=33830

maybe you find related posts and solutions and want them to be moved or merged
A bug report I'm not sure is necessary.. as I consider a bug to be an "unexpected feature" of something that is there.. (IE: Something is actually broken).. not that a particular feature is completely missing. That would be a feature request - which *I think* is handled by brainstorms?
there is a feature called "enhancement bugs" for things software is really missing out on. for example a phone app without dial pad would get an enhancement request filed as bug as it is missing the obvious direct call option with a missing dialpad. Nowadays grouping, caller picture and caller specific ringtones are "normal" features a phone should have, video-ringtones aren't...

All I did was answer your question... "What's the point to having groups without group ringtones?" Groups were not implemented for ringtones.

The rest of my post was generic commenting in this thread. The OP made a brainstorm that I agree with.. someone else mentioned filing a bug report that I disagree with. The reason these things are called "normal" features a "phone" should have.. is the reason I personally don't call the N900 a phone. Yet. But.. that's an entirely separate argument... and a dead horse by now.
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!