Notices

Posts: 2,222 | Thanked: 12,651 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ SOL 3
Originally Posted by Mentalist Traceur View Post
I'm fiddling with those now... As far as I can tell the file you referred to is always at 0 and never effects anything if changed.

However, I'll try it with the device in my at-boot console and see what happens.(You might be thinking of "led_current" in the same directories - only problem is they're already set to 50 once the driver loads, and changing them doesn't turn the keyboard leds on/off, just changes their brightness.)

- Edit -

You were correct sir! Thank you!

- Edit 2 -

But this means that at some point after early boot, something else takes over keyboard LED on-ness control, since during normal operation, dbrightness is at -1, brightness is at 0, and no amount of echoing higher values into it changes that as far as I can tell.
Don't mess with the *current files! The 50 there are a sane value, and you may KILL YOUR LEDS by setting it to unrasonable values. dbrightness is an absolute nonsense only existing in powerkernel and to all my knowledge causing more problems than good. it's the brightness files that control kbd backlight, and yes they are overridden by mce which controls them every few seconds and every keypress and touchscreen event usually. pro-tip: add a "sleep 5" to the "for x in 1 2 3 4 5 6...." cmd's head, when entering it via device kbd. Or simply use remote ssh to enter the comd. You'll see it works - for a while (max 30s iirc), until mce resets it anyway
btw brightness goes as high as 255 iirc, and it's safe to use that value for brightness, but never for current!
Rationale: current sets the current the LP553 chip drives thru the LED, while brightness creates a on/off PWM dimming based on that current. Please read http://wiki.maemo.org/LED_patterns#Low_Level rsp the whole page.

/j

EX Hildon Foundation approved
Maemo Administration Coordinator (stepped down due to bullying 2014-04-05)
aka "techstaff" - the guys who keep your infra running - Devotion to Duty http://xkcd.com/705/

IRC(freenode): DocScrutinizer*
First USB hostmode fanatic, father of H-E-N

Last edited by joerg_rw; 2011-07-02 at 11:43.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
Posts: 539 | Thanked: 165 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Berlin, Germany
Originally Posted by RobbieThe1st View Post
I've added the format-optfs bit to the restore section
Upgraded to 1.0pre? but when booting into backupmenu it still says 0.65. And I can't find some entry regarding format optfs.

Just tried to format optfs the manual way and this is what happened:
After doing a final backup (desktop running and backing up all data from mydocs via usb) I booted into backupmenu and first made a new backup of rootfs and optfs. Then switched to mass storage mode (rw), first copied the backup files to pc then unmounted all partitions and formatted second partition (i.e. optfs) with command
Code:
mkfs.ext3 /dev/sdi2 -m 1
(the option -m 1 just declares to have only 1% of size as spare blocks for superuser instead of 5%) Afterwards I checked partition from pc with fsck and then just plugged usb cable out of device. Disabling mass storage mode by entering it's letter again didn't work, so I switched to mass storage (ro). Then I chose to restore a backup, chose appropriate files to restore and backupmenu quit with message "unable to mount optfs" and the hint to do a filesystem check. I did so, no errors appeared and in second try the restore now seems to work. Still restoring.....

EDIT
OK, restore is finished, I checked filesystems once again, rebootet into backupmenu again, made a new backup, checked filesystems again and then booted into desktop. all seems to work fine even if the problems why I did all this still exist. At least nothing broke and I can keep using my N900 as before.

Last edited by x-lette; 2011-07-02 at 16:00.

Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
Originally Posted by joerg_rw View Post
Don't mess with the *current files! The 50 there are a sane value, and you may KILL YOUR LEDS by setting it to unrasonable values.
I said nothing about changing "led_current" beyond the fact that I thought he might be thinking of that (because at the time I had only seen the led_current thing have any effect). I keep my keyboard led_current values at the stock 50, and am just fine with it, nor have I advised anyone to change it. My boot-shell /sbin/preinit script touches only the brightness value, not the led_current value.

P.S. I appreciate the informativeness, but many people don't read things fully or properly, and I'm sure there's readers who would've combined a skimming of my post and a skimming of your post to suppose I was doing something damaging with my press-any-key-for-shell at boot script.

(Do you know if NITDroid is using higher led_current values? Or does NITDroid actually do it by brightness? Because there are posts on this forum suggesting using led_current to force keyboard to be as bright as it is when NITDroid is booted. I haven't heard anyone yet say their leds are malfunctioning, but like overclocking, it's probably one of those matter-of-time things. Honestly, this is what happens when software/hardware makers don't give users proper control over aspects of hardware - since during normal after-MCE-kicks-in operation led_current is the only way to make the brightness higher for a minimally command-line capable person, that's what people will naturally turn to.)

dbrightness is an absolute nonsense only existing in powerkernel and to all my knowledge causing more problems than good.
Hmm. So that's where that came from. Near as I can tell it just always makes the brightness value equal to itself, unless set to -1, which it always is by default on my device. Do you know what Titan's reasoning was for including/implementing it?

it's the brightness files that control kbd backlight, and yes they are overridden by mce which controls them every few seconds and every keypress and touchscreen event usually.
So in practice, we're at what I said earlier "brightness files control kbd backlight in early boot, and something else takes over later". (But now I know it's mce that does the controlling from there, and that the brightness files really do still control the keyboard, they're just zealously overriden; so thank you. MCE is closed source, right?)

pro-tip: add a "sleep 5" to the "for x in 1 2 3 4 5 6...." cmd's head, when entering it via device kbd. Or simply use remote ssh to enter the comd. You'll see it works - for a while (max 30s iirc), until mce resets it anyway
Indeed it does. Very informative bit of advice (since the same logic probably helps figure out issues in plenty of other scenarios.

The Following User Says Thank You to Mentalist Traceur For This Useful Post:
Also referring to the previous request about booting with kbd slided out, as well as my age old suggestion: could you get a key to backupmenu that actually quits backupmenu and continues bootup to OS, rather than rebooting the device, please. Would be mad useful.

Thanks for considering
/jOERG
May I throw one more in and make a wish for the ability to shut down device from backupmenu instead of only reboot / further boot? That would be really nice! Thanks in advance!

Posts: 249 | Thanked: 277 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Brighton, UK
...anybody got any ideas how I can get the ssh login working? Firing up the linux install just to connect to the serial terminal is a PITA, and like I say...the logins work fine via ssh once the device is running normally.

Originally Posted by x-lette View Post
May I throw one more in and make a wish for the ability to shut down device from backupmenu instead of only reboot / further boot? That would be really nice! Thanks in advance!
Shutting down is easy - Provided your at the main menu, with mass storage mode *not* selected, you can just hold the power button till it turns off. The disks aren't mounted, so it's not dangerous.
OC freqs: 0:22,90 125:22,90 250:28,180 500:30,360 550:32,400 600:34,430 700:39,430 750:41,430 805:45,430 850:47,500 900:50,500 950:54,500 1000:58,500 1100:67,520 1150:71,520

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to RobbieThe1st For This Useful Post:
Shutting down is easy - Provided your at the main menu, with mass storage mode *not* selected, you can just hold the power button till it turns off. The disks aren't mounted, so it's not dangerous.
OK, but in my given situation, with mass storage enabled or when ssh is acitve (which in turn means some partition is mounted, right?) it would be fine to have a reliable way to power off the device. Just an idea.

Originally Posted by x-lette View Post
OK, but in my given situation, with mass storage enabled or when ssh is acitve (which in turn means some partition is mounted, right?) it would be fine to have a reliable way to power off the device. Just an idea.
Yea, maby.
I've just not considered it because I never want the device off; I'm either booting into Maemo or into BM... never off really.
OC freqs: 0:22,90 125:22,90 250:28,180 500:30,360 550:32,400 600:34,430 700:39,430 750:41,430 805:45,430 850:47,500 900:50,500 950:54,500 1000:58,500 1100:67,520 1150:71,520

There are several situations when I want my device to really shut down. Some software is said to be not fully installing when not powering off and on device. Something with cache or bootstate or whatever. Don't know. Funnily enough, my device oftne powers off even when I want to restart. This also happens from time to time when rebooting from backupmenu. But not reliable.

Yea, maby.
I've just not considered it because I never want the device off; I'm either booting into Maemo or into BM... never off really.
More choice dont hurt, if it's not hard to code for You

Anyway, question - we have option to delete content of optfs WITHOUT restoration (probably less useful thing that powering off device, still, it is here - but it's not topic of my question ) - in new version, it' also done via formatting optfs to clear any errors, or just by delete, like in old versions?
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

Last edited by Estel; 2011-07-04 at 22:52.

Tags
backup, backupmenu, cssusupplement, max(useful), rescue-console, restore, system