Active Topics

thx i have succesfully overclocked, i see no difference so far lol....but right now i am currently stuck on how to make it stay fixed @ 900.

I am following this guide
http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...postcount=4917

but i am stuck at where i have leafpad open and i have to edit it down to 2 frequencys. If someone could help me through this, would be great :]

*EDIT*
Problem solved, phone is officially overclocked and running @ 900mhz fixed :]

Last edited by snfx; 2011-10-28 at 00:04.

*Current update*

So i was happy that i OC'd my n900 and i decided to put it to the test and try to open multiple web browsing windows cuz i've heard once you OC you could do this easily......

to my surprise, my n900 is still slow even being OC'd to a fixed 900??
wth is going on? i have a hard time opening firefox browser + the stock browser and i have a hard time opening 5 stock web browser windows?

what's going on? i checked my kernel-config show and it says im running @ 900, what's going on?

i am also not noticing any faster battery drainage as a lot of people experience

Last edited by snfx; 2011-10-28 at 06:54.

Posts: 1,522 | Thanked: 392 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ São Paulo, Brazil
Often what makes the N900 slow is not the CPU, it's the tiny fast ram, once you fill up the fast ram it starts using the swap in the slower chip and that slows everything down.

Originally Posted by TiagoTiago View Post
Often what makes the N900 slow is not the CPU, it's the tiny fast ram, once you fill up the fast ram it starts using the swap in the slower chip and that slows everything down.
yeah so true, im looking at conky with no other programs opened and the ram is already being eaten up halfway...

Posts: 270 | Thanked: 195 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Finland
Dude, have a look here too: http://wiki.maemo.org/Swappolube

I've been using no OC, just a few scripts to speed up the N900. No power kernel, just the stock one and swappolube, CSSU also installed.

I can have quite a few browser windows open and the phone is still quite responsive and very usable, much better choice to speed up the N900 than OC, in my opinion.

---

Having all the memory used is not a bad thing, it's called memory management. Look that up as well

Last edited by Mandibela; 2011-10-28 at 19:18.

Posts: 28 | Thanked: 28 times | Joined on Mar 2011 @ Hong Kong
I can also vouch for and highly recommend Swappolube, installed it a little while ago with my N900 at the standard clock speed and with the stock kernel, using its 'Proposed' values. It makes quite a significant difference with everything running a bit faster and smoother than before. MicroB also seems to run faster as well, when loading single pages and with multiple windows open.

I think Swappolube should also help to minimise the N900 slowing down over time. Before, my device used to noticeably slow down after about 20 days.

Last edited by Jerex; 2011-11-02 at 04:49.

is it possible to use swaplube + overclock?

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Yes, no problem. They don't conflict.

question for the swappolube users, do you guys manually config the settings or you guys download the swap-gui with the preset configs?

i downloaded the preset since i didnt kno how to adjust the settings

Posts: 28 | Thanked: 28 times | Joined on Mar 2011 @ Hong Kong
Originally Posted by snfx View Post
question for the swappolube users, do you guys manually config the settings or you guys download the swap-gui with the preset configs?

i downloaded the preset since i didnt kno how to adjust the settings

I downloaded the full version of Swappolube with the GUI and preset configs. I've been using the preset 'Proposed' settings for a while now and have been very happy with the increased performance and stability. I might look into tweaking some of the settings later but I would need to read up more before experimenting!

The other version of Swappolube is controlled via the command line in xterminal. This allows more fine tweaking of individual parameters in the kernel, but I think is only recommended if you really know what you are doing. For everyone else the full GUI version is the way to go.

As a software (kernel) tweak, Swappolube is separate from over clocking, so you can definitely do both. Another software tweak to increase speed on the N900 is the Speed Patch, although I haven't tried it yet. Check out the thread below for more details:

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ht=Speed+patch