Posts: 65 | Thanked: 167 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by BW~Merlin View Post
Not sure if this is the right place for this or if it has already been mentioned but if you have a contact that has a instant messenger/service entry you do not get the option to then email them using that instant messenger address unless you manually add that instant messenger address as their email address.

For example, I have a contact that when I click on their name I can see their phone number, address etc and I can see which services I can instant messenger them using (gtalk/skype/msn etc) but I have no option to just email them instead of sending an instant message.
There is actually no (reliable) rule that would allow us to know when a messaging service can be used as an email address... That's why we don't do it

The Following User Says Thank You to abustany For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by somedude View Post
i have been experiencing a really weird issue with messaging lately, i will be chatting on Skype and the message delivery is way too late, it gives me the notification that i received a message bit i am not able to view the message in messaging app. Right now i received a notification like 30 minutes ago saying i have a message from one of my contact but i am not able to view, and sometimes text messages show that its still sending but the receiving party has already received the message and replied
That would hint at either the DB notifications being screwed, or the messaging app not reacting to them... Did the problem persist, or has it disappeared since?

Originally Posted by Maemomd View Post
Thanks Jalyst. I forgot about this thread. Whenever I had to reset my exchange account due to email issues, the contacts would disappear...I would love to know how to keep the contacts in case the email reset has to occur again. I really want to like this phone like I did the N900.
If you delete an account, then all contacts "belonging" to that account are removed too (in the next update, there'll be a dialog to chose if you want that behavior or not on removal). Why do you have to reset your MFE account? And if so, try to disable only the email part, not the whole account maybe (not sure if that has the same effect though).

Originally Posted by abustany View Post
There is actually no (reliable) rule that would allow us to know when a messaging service can be used as an email address... That's why we don't do it
What about providing a hold down (I don't know the correct term for when you hold your finger on an item and additional options come up) option along the lines of "use this services address to email this person" or even just show the service address so we can copy and paste it.

The Following User Says Thank You to BW~Merlin For This Useful Post:
If you don't feel perfectly confident with programming and the Harmattan platform, I'd advise against trying that. Actually, just modifying files on your phone will brick it... And Facebook contacts are handled differently, so touching qtcontacts-tracker wouldn't help anyway What do you mean by "Information is not refreshed"?
you missunderstood me dude
i love programming, and i love messing with my phone, and i corrupted lots of systems, and succesfully restored them...its just im not that good to develop... YET!
can anyone please add me on skype: tratrafe2 to chat and help me how to solve my issue?
i just want the facebook contacts that have changed any information on their profile to be changed on my phone when going online as well(birthdays,pictures etc)
thankyou

Last edited by tratrafe2; 2012-01-13 at 12:58.

using mc-tool to configure a gabble/jabber account connecting to the xmpp server on an old zimbra install, I had to add two more options than what the examples were floating around out there
Code:
bool:old-ssl=1
uint:port=5223
hope that helps someone else

Last edited by quipper8; 2012-01-17 at 21:06.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to quipper8 For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
@abustany

Well done, I didn't think you'd catch many...
But you seem to have addressed almost everyone you missed
So as you're moving on soon, who will be replacing you?

To answer jalyst:
- generic XMPP support: definitely dropped by management. Sad.
Senior Management? So this is a waste of time?
http://harmattan-bugs.nokia.com/show_bug.cgi?id=121

The community's since done much towards better supporting IM.
But there's limitations as to how well it can be supported/integrated right?
Thanks to the closed nature of some components...

- My contacts with first name starting with 'Ch' appear under 'B' instead of 'C' in the N9 address book -> Errrr that is not supposed to happen Does the contact have a nickname too? What happens if you switch to "last name first name" sorting, and back?
Here is the original poster...
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...51#post1137351
Best to quote them, in case they're monitoring for quotes!
I've PM'd them too....

- Facebook avatars only in contacts, not in messaging -> not sure how that would happen, Facebook info (phone number etc.) is private to contacts but avatars are public -> in the shared database -> messaging should show them. Does a reboot help?
Errr, I'm not sure which post you're answering here.
According to my post you should be addressing this one:
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...45#post1141245

Although looking at the separate thread he links to:
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=81060
You seem to be saying the issue is fixed, but simply didn't make it to 1.1.

Can we assume that this fix is now definitely coming with 1.2?
Some claim it's resolved in 1.1.1 in that thread, so surely it's coming.

Thank-you.

Last edited by jalyst; 2012-01-23 at 14:38.

The Following User Says Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
If you delete an account, then all contacts "belonging" to that account are removed too (in the next update, there'll be a dialog to chose if you want that behavior or not on removal). Why do you have to reset your MFE account? And if so, try to disable only the email part, not the whole account maybe (not sure if that has the same effect though).
MFE is very glitchy/unfinished. I wish there was a way to keep contacts even if MFE stops working correctly. This email issue is being addressed on the email thread. It just seems that explanations and fixes are not occurring for many contacts issues including mine. Disabling email has no effect either, none. Majorly flawed, unfortunately. Never had these basic issues on the N900 at pr 1.1 or before that or.

Posts: 738 | Thanked: 983 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ London
I have allready voted on the bug on harmattan-bugs, but it feels very important to me so I'll repeat it there:
It is very annoying that there is no way to synchronise contacts to a server with some open protocol (ie CardDav/SyncML instead of MfE).

This is the only way to allow some little choice in one's cloud service (ie, if you don't want to be forced to use google), and mail and calendar allready have a good implementation of sync protocols (IMAP/CalDav), so I really hope it will be coming also for contacts at some point.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to erendorn For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by erendorn View Post
I have allready voted on the bug on harmattan-bugs, but it feels very important to me so I'll repeat it there:
It is very annoying that there is no way to synchronise contacts to a server with some open protocol (ie CardDav/SyncML instead of MfE).
Can you recall the bug #? I will vote for it too!