Active Topics

Moderator | Posts: 6,215 | Thanked: 6,400 times | Joined on Nov 2011
from twitter 32mins back:

Jolla‏@JollaMobile

@aukia We have been hiring and continue to do that, in co-operation with Nokia.

Is this Nokia's Plan B? or are they being supported by Nokia?

the one thing that makes this look like a more likely success to me is the fact they didn't come out at the beginning shouting big claims about what they were going to do. they've now been going for nearly a year, with no product in the marketplace, so they've either done nothing, are managed well or they have some serious backing.

2 points:
does this involve any of the meego guys from berlin? who createdthe website advertising talent for hire? if not, maybe it should.

hardware wise, as long as its smaller than a galaxy s3 (too big for pockets, n9/lumia 800 size better) and comes with a team who can *and will* provide driver updates, i'm in.

Originally Posted by Android_808 View Post
and comes with a team who can *and will* provide driver updates, i'm in.
May I add "and listens to the necessities of the dev community"?

Posts: 1,313 | Thanked: 2,977 times | Joined on Jun 2011 @ Finland
Originally Posted by thedead1440 View Post
from twitter 32mins back:

Jolla‏@JollaMobile

@aukia We have been hiring and continue to do that, in co-operation with Nokia.

Is this Nokia's Plan B? or are they being supported by Nokia?
It probably just means that because Nokia is firing the developers, they're co-operating with Joola (amongst others) to get them work.

It might seem strange, but Nokia has been apparently quite good at supporting their ex-workers in getting new employment in other firms.

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by tortoisedoc View Post
Hi;
I am kind of new but been following the Maemo since N900.

So, just to understand - JollaMobile is _not_ going to work on n9, right?

Who has done pr 1.3? Old MeeGo Team @ Nokia? But wasn't MeeGo team fired / let go / disassembled?

Im ..it's understandable that alot is changing atm;
also it would probably make sense to outsource N9 MeeGo development (read : pr 1.4).

What the hell is going on..

EDIT: also, do not forget that N9 has been added to Nokia's US web page -> might preempt a US distribution; this more and more gives reason for supporting Harmattan.

JollaMobile has nothing todo with Nokia:s N9. Except the fact that some of the team behind the new company(Jolla LTD) was working for Nokia but not anymore.

This means they have no plan, or not even allowed, to port they work to Nokias products.

However they MAY consult for Nokia in the future to fix bugs on N9 (but not port theyr new UI) if they want to. But thats up to them and Nokia to decide...

Nokia may or may not be investors in this new company. But so far no one knows.

So in summary its just a new company with some of the old Maemo/meego team who has started a new hopefuly succefully "Meego" company

Last edited by mikecomputing; 2012-07-07 at 16:32.

Moderator | Posts: 6,215 | Thanked: 6,400 times | Joined on Nov 2011
Originally Posted by ajalkane View Post
It probably just means that because Nokia is firing the developers, they're co-operating with Joola (amongst others) to get them work.

It might seem strange, but Nokia has been apparently quite good at supporting their ex-workers in getting new employment in other firms.
yup sorry for the misunderstanding...i didnt see the full conversation before posting...just too excited with seeing a ray of light...

Originally Posted by tortoisedoc View Post
May I add "and listens to the necessities of the dev community"?
yeah, thats part of my point. k-power team could save a lot of work back porting fixes if someone inside nokia rebuilt drivers for a new kernel. ideal world, all drivers would be open source, do what you want. With the current state of soc manufacturers using powervr or similar, this ain't gonna happen. At least if support is there to rebuild it helps.

Originally Posted by kike View Post
Aava mobile and Elektrobit comes to my mind. I dont know about tekes money but they have done smartphones.
Yes, Aava mobile was the name i was looking for. Made those Intel protos running MeeGo and Android.

Originally Posted by lma View Post
Without even going into ergonomics, tactile feedback etc, there's no way around this: an on-screen keyboard eats badly into display real estate, and a finger-friendly one doubly so. If all a user wants to type are one-liners (SMS, twitter and whatnot) that may be acceptable, but for the rest of us a physical keyboard is a hard (pun intended) requirement.
If the on-screen keyboard is done well i have no problems writing long messages and blogs posts. I don't consider N9 or especially N900 on-screen keyboard good.
Again i'm not saying i only want on-screen keyboard, i'm fone with both as long as they are done well.

I have posted all the long and shorts messages here for 1-2 years using iPad, N9 and Lumia 800.

Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
Nokia may or may not be investors in this new company. But so far no one knows.
Good point actually. Could even be possible,

Last edited by tissot; 2012-07-07 at 16:37.

Originally Posted by Android_808 View Post
the one thing that makes this look like a more likely success to me is the fact they didn't come out at the beginning shouting big claims about what they were going to do. they've now been going for nearly a year, with no product in the marketplace, so they've either done nothing, are managed well or they have some serious backing.
N9 has gotten three big updates after release. It could be that they have worked as hard as possible within Nokia planing what to do with Jolla.
In other companies where you know you are going to get fired the work almost instantly dies.

Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
This means they have no plan, or not even allowed, to port they work to Nokias products.
I don't think they will have any problem finding manufacturers of smartphones that want to use Meego in some models.

Tags
jolla, jolla on topic, jollamobile, meego, merproject, nokia, nokian9, professionals, speculations, tizenjolla