Posts: 405 | Thanked: 961 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ London, UK
In terms of locked bootloader, I'm guessing one of two things
1) Full-price devices straight from Jolla will be unlocked ("dev"), subsidised from carriers won't be.
or 2) We've not got the right translation. From the official translation, it says:
Consumers are not able to hack kernel or flash new software for the device.
Now that could either be "Consumers are not permitted to..." or "Consumers are on average not technically able enough to..." - can a native Finnish speaker look at the original?

Posts: 1,313 | Thanked: 2,977 times | Joined on Jun 2011 @ Finland
Originally Posted by vitaminj View Post
In terms of locked bootloader, I'm guessing one of two things
1) Full-price devices straight from Jolla will be unlocked ("dev"), subsidised from carriers won't be.
or 2) We've not got the right translation. From the official translation, it says:

Now that could either be "Consumers are not permitted to..." or "Consumers are on average not technically able enough to..." - can a native Finnish speaker look at the original?
The first one is closer to the original. So seems like separate developer/enthusiast phone. Hopefully it will be easily available and not only through some special contacts.

Posts: 1,400 | Thanked: 3,751 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Arctic cold of northern .fi
Originally Posted by vitaminj View Post
Original finnish:
– Jollan puhelin tulee olemaan massamarkkinoille suunnattu oikea älypuhelin. Se ei tule olemaan pelkkä Linux-hakkereille tarkoitettu teknologiapuhelin. Kuluttajat eivät pääse suoraan itse puukottamaan puhelimen kerneliä tai flashaamaan siihen uutta ohjelmistoa.

My translation:
Jolla phone will be a real smartphone aimed at the mass consumer market. It will not be aimed to just Linux-geeks. Consumer will not be able to directly hack the kernel or to flash it with new software.

Original:
– Tarkoituksemme on tehdä Open Source -yhteisölle, Linuxista ja avoimista järjestelmistä kiinnostuneille ja partnereille oma kehittäjäversio puhelimesta, jossa nämä ovat mahdollisia.

My translation:
Our intention is to make separate version for Open Source community, Linux enthusiasts and people interested about open systems, in which these (these as in the things mentioned above) will be possible.

The way I understood is that the consumer version will propably require somekind of 'Jailbreak' for full access.

So it's still possible that it'll be one device, but somehow in locked and unlocked modes (I don't like the "jailbreak" term).

I hope open device will allow:
1. booting from the sdcard, where one can write [any bootable] OS image without hassle.
2. Having open kernel (not like Harmtattan). Or if it will be secured with something akin to Aegis, user will have full control over what to allow or disallow there.

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
"For example I can’t tell you anything about possible partnership with Intel."

That statement scares me.... Does this actually mean they MAY consider using an Intel chipset OMG! please NO.

I want ARM not shitty x86

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by ranbaxy View Post
Err... I dont know why but I have a strong feeling that Nokia is funding Jolla
or Intel.......

Originally Posted by Rauha View Post
Original finnish:
Our intention is to make separate version for Open Source community, Linux enthusiasts and people interested about open systems, in which these (these as in the things mentioned above) will be possible.
This, this I don't like. Defensive, traditional thinking. An OS that only geeks can possibly care about for the next four quarters, and has an market share of 0.00% should not start it's segmentation willfully already. Putting up hoops for early adapters to jump through when their odds are so low already.

Too early to fully understand what they mean. It can simply mean some device setting flippable on the same device (but not intended for non technical users). So no need to panic yet.

Posts: 231 | Thanked: 143 times | Joined on Feb 2012 @ Tallinn, Estonia
I think that they are currently using N9 / N950 as a prototype to test and develop their software and also I think that at first the N9 will be used as developer device for community as well. This is just cheapest way of doing it. Later, yes there could be also special version of their own device for development purposes, but at the moment is seems bit unrealistic.

Posts: 273 | Thanked: 463 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Athens
Well the deal at leat is good news I mean the Chinesee are not stupid they were probably shown something in order to close the deal. I wish we knew what they saw

Tags
jolla, jolla on topic, jollamobile, meego, merproject, nokia, nokian9, professionals, speculations, tizenjolla