Active Topics

Poll: Did you pre-order?
Poll Options
Did you pre-order?

Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
But in this case it's no guarantees that you actually get the device you are paying for? Since it's build on demands. But if you pay with credit card I guess the card companies take the lose if jolla goes bankruptcy.
I don't think this is about funding, I mean the devices will come out regardless of what you pay or if you don't pay a cent now

It was explained on the articles I have read that this is more about generating intrest and buzz among the jolla fan crowd and not collecting funds for production or anything.

So I rest assured, the device will be launched.

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Actually people should realise it IS a risk prepay. Most the time you should not. Definitivly not if you have no income!

Its not only Jolla who can fail here. Remember the investors...

However in my case I take that risk if lower than xxx sum. I take this as a "stock investment" I loosed cash when in Nokia stocks after elopcalypse but thats life.

But again don't prepay for jolla device if you cant loose them in the end.

Last edited by mikecomputing; 2013-04-17 at 18:34.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
funny thread
Personally, I would happily preorder, only hinderance, I dont have the cash LOL, but I hope it will turn up.
BTW phones are in 99% of all cases the worst investment.

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Not sure if real source or not posted anywhere before but there is this:
http://www.pro-linux.de/news/1/19689...estellbar.html

Google translate attempt:

First SailfishOS Smartphone via crowdfunding from May preorder

After the young Finnish company Jolla had to be at the Mobile World Congress in February presented SailfishOS SDK, a first device with the MeeGo successor should now be ordered in advance from May.
Ferdinand Thommes

Sailfish OS

Jolla

Sailfish OS
The third place in mobile Olympus behind Android and iOS is still free. Microsoft with its Windows Phone, which is on the market for five years, is not a promising candidate. Besides Jolla with SailfishOS enters with Firefox OS in June another candidate the arena.

Firefox OS uses to reach market shares on the cheap devices to be placed in cooperation with renowned manufacturers and providers in developing countries and emerging markets, we believe in rather Jolla at the mid-market segment and Scandinavian design.

The company Jolla, founded by former developers from Nokia's MeeGo team is now trying to finance his first smartphone after the crowdfunding principle. A prototype of the device to be unveiled in early May. From mid-May to interested can order the device in advance and thus finance the production. Be rewarded the "early adopters" in that they can over parts of the design, especially user interface controls, a say. In the development of SailfishOS special emphasis was placed on gesture control and multi-tasking ability. The design is a total "fail modern Scandinavian" as Jolla Board Antii Saarnio now told the Finnish news website Digitoday. He also says there that they wanted to "make a motion Jolla."

When the pre-ordered devices will be available Saarnio not say, but should be available before the start of a campaign schedule. The smartphone is to appear in any case later this year, with the beginning is made in Finland, where it already is to give a strong following and a contract with a local mobile provider. Then should follow other countries in Europe.

Does this mean crowdfunding/preorders can influence things like HW keyboard? I sure hope so.

Posts: 1,313 | Thanked: 2,977 times | Joined on Jun 2011 @ Finland
Originally Posted by szopin View Post
Does this mean crowdfunding/preorders can influence things like HW keyboard? I sure hope so.
Nope. Software modifications.

The Following User Says Thank You to ajalkane For This Useful Post:
:--------(

Posts: 485 | Thanked: 708 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Galiza
Originally Posted by don_falcone View Post
Given that we got way better (reference) quality from an amateur workshop in Spain for relatively similar devices, i'm soo happy we dropped that ****.
Are you talking about Geeksphone?

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by Hariainm View Post
Are you talking about Geeksphone?
that phone looks like a toy for young kids...

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Why not give a date for start of PreOrders and get some free promotion?

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Any leads on this Super-Uber.Mega-Cool-thing that jolla planning to give to the PreOders?

Why not give the users $150 Check for the second jolla phone. That would be truly amazing...

Personally, I think it is a slide out keyboard. A disc phone would be cool too.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Last edited by Dave999; 2013-04-24 at 16:23.

The Following User Says Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:

Tags
bespoke phone, jolla, keyboard phone, or nothing, pandora phone