Active Topics

Posts: 289 | Thanked: 185 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ Worldwide
not at the moment. if it will be pure linux like sailfish and n900, n9/50 was; will consider it.
otherwise it's just another android.

Posts: 141 | Thanked: 359 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Italy
I reserved one of the $600 (630 actually) devices, though I have also already reserved the Jolla as well. The hardware seems sleek enough for the price, and I could get two operating system (ubuntu phone and android) in one device for toying around with my application(s). Plus, being able to use it as an emergency desktop seems a useful feature as well.

There is a good chance it will not reach its 32M$ goal, however. In this case I get my money back, Ubuntu gets lots of publicity, and Jolla may jump up the guns and release some more specs, finally!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mikelima For This Useful Post:
I'd support it if they pledge to make (or find) a GPU with glibc EGL drivers compatible with Wayland...

Posts: 1,313 | Thanked: 2,977 times | Joined on Jun 2011 @ Finland
Originally Posted by shmerl View Post
I'd support it if they pledge to make (or find) a GPU with glibc EGL drivers compatible with Wayland...
It's my understanding they're going the same way as it seems Jolla might also end up doing, by using libhybris with Android drivers.

Apparently the chipset manufacturers have no interest in X11/Wayland/Mir drivers due to perceived low volume (probably justifified perception at least in short term). Using Android drivers is a way to get in to the game, and perhaps when there's enough volume the chipset makers can be persuaded to make dedicated drivers.

The Following User Says Thank You to ajalkane For This Useful Post:
Posts: 35 | Thanked: 33 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ North America
Yeah. I just placed a $600 contribution.

I had already placed a $0 Jolla preorder (not in europe) and 2013-May is a long way off, but hard to argue with a 28-day return.

concerned about the narrow/720px screen (Ubuntu Touch on the Galaxy nexus is 4.5" 720px and not too easy on the eye) but the Jolla is no better.

Posts: 485 | Thanked: 708 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Galiza
Originally Posted by RX-51 View Post
...Anyone with contact to Jolla (maybe just via twitter) dares to ask if the Ubuntu Edge will be supported?
Well, I don't think so, since this phone builds a x86 processor. And I know x86 builds of SailfishOS exists, but... It's not the path they are choosing.

Posts: 35 | Thanked: 33 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ North America
128GB storage and 4GB ram are the strongest differentiating features.

Will +30% mAh capacity from silicon-alloy Li-ion anodes offset the additional RAM? Sure, definitely. If they ever materialize in FY14.

Or moreover, will a functional Ubuntu Touch port for the Samsung S4 materialize before May finally arrives?

Ubuntu is after all supposed to be the free OS for the masses/run on any Android device.
The S3 port however, isnt coming along as nicely as the mainline Nexus images.

Banned | Posts: 280 | Thanked: 295 times | Joined on Apr 2013 @ Romania
Now this is what I call a perfect, complete device!

I am in love...

Posts: 30 | Thanked: 13 times | Joined on Feb 2012 @ NC USA
Ubuntu is Swahili for Apple. Foolish to support them, they do no favors for the Linux community.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fongo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 273 | Thanked: 463 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Athens
To me this is further proof that Ubuntu touch is a flop. Canonical probably launched this knowing it is impossible to raise that kind of money and find an excuse for whoring out to the carriers when and if they ever ship anything. Thank god for mozilla and jolla.