Active Topics

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by shmerl View Post
Legal issues aside, and let's say they pass the FCC approval, what do they lose by offering the device for the NA market? They lose nothing, and they gain users. Buzz and etc. isn't their focus now even in Europe. Jolla's marketing is pretty minimal everywhere. I.e. they already are selling only for "those who know". They still have enough demand for their level of production now, so entering US won't make it any worse (IMHO people in Europe don't know Jolla any more than in US - i.e. those who know - know already, others have no clue). But legal problems are the real roadblock.
They really lose nothing. But what do they gain would be the better question.

Concentrating on the NA market would mean support for a different chipset and consumer (costs), development of a device outside of their home territory and distribution in that territory (costs) and handling of RMA's and returns in that territory (costs).

There are other costs, advertising, marketing, placement, et al - some are necessary, some may not be - and the costs therein of personnel, training, offices, communication, shipment, stocking, development, returns, replacement, so forth... and that's all before the legal research, licensing, protection against aforesaid legal problems, grey areas and patent trolls... it all adds up to "is it worth it?" real quick.

I'm of the impression that until either the market changes in NA or if they've already devised a plan (which might be the case and we're discussing a moot point) - I'd just say my opinion.

You have some great points. Let's see how it plays out. In the selfish, self-applying agenda that I might carry, I hope that I am wrong.

(43)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 819 | Thanked: 806 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ Oxnard, Ca.
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
As an American, I wholly disagree. Right now, in the US... no big group of people yet really want change. Or a device they have to learn how to use. People want convenience.

We've become a marketing group that wants the George Jetson lifestyle - one button that does everything. I know that sounds like I'm talking in absolutes, but I've never been more disappointed in the North American market - the people, the companies, the offerings and the carriers - then ever before.

Jolla probably would have an uphill battle for what would be a smaller market than the EU. In fact, besides the very few N9 fans, the core fans in the NA market that would buy a Jolla phone might be too small for an expedited release and without any carrier advertising. That would mean actual advertising - a grass roots advertising campaign in the US might not take.

I wish them luck, but the North American market is just plain too weird and small to consider it a game changer at this moment.

(45)
Sounds like you are agreeing with me. Let me rephrase that;
I don't think it is crucial for them to release it here.
They don't need to release it here. We will just get the Sailfish OS from China that they release for various Android phones like they said they will do and we will support it as a community.

Last edited by aironeous; 2013-12-26 at 21:10.

The Following User Says Thank You to aironeous For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by aironeous View Post
Sounds like you are agreeing with me. Let me rephrase that;
I don't think it is crucial for them to release it here.
They don't need to release it here. We will just get the Sailfish OS from China that they release for various Android phones like they said they will do and we will support it as a community.
After foolishly chatting with the JollaUSA twitter handle who thinks that not coming out in the US has now placed Jolla as a "buyer beware" type of company that has fooled people into buying 40/100€ t-shirts but will not follow through with phones so they should be sued - who has no connection with Jolla btw - it hit me. Folks are up in arms in the US about it not coming out to the US as of yet.

I care about that. But I don't see the NA market as being even "crucial" (denotation, not connotation) to Jolla's releases. Nor is it a a litigious situation.

So in that area, we agree. It's the overzealous that I disagree with that state "It comes out in the US or it'll fail" types. Not painting you as that - but understand that's what I had dealt with (see above).

It's doubtful I'd go the China route. If released to other EU countries that I might visit and/or supports my GSM/LTE bands here in the US, I'll get it that way.

Or I'll install Sailfish OS over my pending Android purchase. But NA isn't crucial - yes. We agree there - sans overzealous overtones.

(43)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
It's not crucial, but Jolla should pay attention to their users in US. From that perspective I care about it, since I can't use the device personally until it's compatible with local networks. I hope their next version will have a universal modem, and artificial network restrictions won't prevent using it anywhere you want to. The question is, how long will it take them to produce it? A year, or more?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shmerl For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,339 | Thanked: 4,133 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Israel
Finally i got answer, and my status changed to "Paid"
Now just need to wait..

Posts: 1,390 | Thanked: 710 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Beirut, Lebanon
Originally Posted by Schturman View Post
Finally i got answer, and my status changed to "Paid"
Now just need to wait..
So you & me are currently in the same stage. I e-mailed them to know when I should expect "in picking" because they sent me the e-mail very late, and they have to make it up for me

Originally Posted by Dave999
I will vote AMD for president next time if I'm having any shares during next meeting.

Do good for a human being and like my art page!

The Following User Says Thank You to AMD For This Useful Post:
Posts: 568 | Thanked: 969 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Toronto
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
After foolishly chatting with the JollaUSA twitter handle who thinks that not coming out in the US has now placed Jolla as a "buyer beware" type of company that has fooled people into buying 40/100€ t-shirts but will not follow through with phones so they should be sued - who has no connection with Jolla btw - it hit me. Folks are up in arms in the US about it not coming out to the US as of yet.
For the avoidance of doubt: I'm nothing to do with that Twitter handle. Yes, Jolla sold me and others a €40 T-shirt after suggesting that we were also buying the chance to pre-order a phone. Do I feel short-changed & disrespected? Sure. Do I think they should be sued? No, of course not. I don't think they deliberately set out to disappoint or upset me; I just think that those of us outside the EU fell off the Jolla boat and the sailors were too busy doing whatever they were doing to notice, much less care.

I still admire Jolla for what they're attempting to do with Sailfish, but I no longer want Jolla hardware, especially if the rumours of "only 2G in NA" are true. My ardour for Jolla has fallen off so much that I can't even be bothered to verify if that's true.

My preorder is vapourised (did it ever exist?), and the warm fuzzy feeling I harboured for Jolla for so long is gone.

For now, I will cling to my N9 in the hopes that it continues to make me happy, and see what happens next. Perhaps Sailfish on Nexus, or perhaps Sailfish on N9 (if it matures enough). Perhaps I just keep buying ever-scarcer N9s...

...or perhaps I give up on everything I've believed in and just do Android-on-Nexus-5. After all, my colleagues show me their phones running blazing fast and it's impressive.

Last edited by shallimus; 2014-01-03 at 17:04.

Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by shallimus View Post
Yes, Jolla sold me and others a €40 T-shirt after suggesting that we were also buying the chance to pre-order a phone.
My preorder is vapourised (did it ever exist?)
I think you may need to review some of the epic waiting threads, I don't recall you posting/thanking there much throughout the entire year, you only appeared again very recently, right?
If you review the discussions in them from May onwards, you'll start to get picture about why the assertion you're making in the post above, isn't quite "on the money".

Last edited by jalyst; 2014-01-03 at 17:22.

Posts: 568 | Thanked: 969 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Toronto
Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
I think you may need to review some of the epic waiting threads
Possibly, but what do I stand to gain from that now? I'm sure I appear fairly gloomy and resentful at being (or feeling) excluded from the Jolla experience, but it will pass. My life has changed in the past few years and tech isn't quite the all-consuming passion it once was for me. I wish I had something more useful to contribute to this great community, but sadly these days I don't think I do.

I don't recall you posting/thanking there much throughout the entire year, you only appeared again very recently, right?
Quite right. I have been entirely absent from TMO for many moons. I have been happy with my N9, and on top of that I didn't have the time or the inclination to haunt the boards in the way I used to in the N900 days or the run-up to the N9.

If you review the discussions in them from May onwards, you'll start to get picture about why the assertion you're making in the post above, isn't quite "on the money".
Sorry - I'm not really sure which of my assertions you're talking about here.

If it's the €40 T-shirt thing, then I stand by that; they took my money and then gave me a receipt for something which they didn't then make available to me. If the only way to avoid this situation was to read every TMO thread (including some which may not have been written at the time I put in my pre-order) then I'd say it's hardly surprising that some people ended up disappointed.

I know you are a major contributor and I have a lot of respect for all you've done for the community, but surely you don't really expect me to dig through hundreds of pages of threads just so I can figure out precisely how I'm wrong? I'm guessing the thing I'm wrong about is one or more of: the radio-compatibility thing, the pre-order thing or possibly something else...

...but this isn't the first nor the last time I've been wrong about something, nor is it the first or last time I'll weather a small disappointment about technology.

I don't have anything new to add, and neither does Jolla, so today is the day I'm over it. Surely it isn't difficult to understand that after a period of getting excited about phones again it was a disappointment...? Really though - no more gloomy posts about this, I promise. I'm done.

Life goes on

Last edited by shallimus; 2014-01-03 at 21:12. Reason: Grammar

The Following User Says Thank You to shallimus For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
I'm not a major contributor, never have been really, certainly not for a long time & esp. lately.
I'm sorry but I don't have time to find the info. that explains it all to you...
But I do know that what you're asserting* isn't right, perhaps some others here can help.
Maybe post in one of the more active threads, I do hope someone lays it all out for you.

All the best.
*I highlighted it in my last response to you