Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
Thanks for the post. A lot of users will try and I will be one. Speed difference should be observed:

1) Upon bootup, how far the blue line goes? That should be about 1/4 right? As diablo boot already reduce it to 58% of the screen (a little to the Right of letter 'O' of NOKIA). That is a calibration bar, should correlate with, in principle, how fast your tablet run.

2) Maybe watching a video clip stored on SD will notice the difference.

Just a thought.

bun

Last edited by bunanson; 2008-07-14 at 05:30.

Posts: 229 | Thanked: 108 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Sacramento, California
Bunanson, after using a script to toggle the CPU speed of the device and jump in 48Mhz mode here are my results. Actually, before and then after:

Before: (mmcblk1p1 = Internal 2G mem), (mmcblk1p2 = external SD)
/dev/mmcblk1p1:
Timing cached reads: 180 MB in 2.02 seconds = 89.13 MB/sec
Timing buffered disk reads: 12 MB in 3.17 seconds = 3.79 MB/sec

/dev/mmcblk1p2:
Timing cached reads: 188 MB in 2.01 seconds = 93.51 MB/sec
Timing buffered disk reads: 16 MB in 3.10 seconds = 5.16 MB/sec
After:
/dev/mmcblk1p1:
Timing cached reads: 192 MB in 2.00 seconds = 95.84 MB/sec
Timing buffered disk reads: 28 MB in 3.66 seconds = 7.64 MB/sec

/dev/mmcblk1p2:
Timing cached reads: 196 MB in 2.00 seconds = 97.92 MB/sec
Timing buffered disk reads: 42 MB in 3.20 seconds = 13.11 MB/sec
So, you can see that I am getting about a 2.5x speed increase on the "buffered disk read" on my external SD card. On the internal 2 gigabyte memory I am getting about a 2x speed increase. I can tell you that just before I did install your .bin file, I was only seeing about a 1.3x speed increase after running my turbo script.

Oh, so here is the script that I am running to get the speed increase. I think Bunanson gave this to me before. Sorry if I got this wrong:

echo performance > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor
echo 400000 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_min_freq
For testing the speed I was using hdparm which you'll have to search on this forum to find where to download it from. Here's the command line information to type:
./hdparm -Tt /dev/mmcblk1p1
./hdparm -Tt /dev/mmcblk1p2

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Munk For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
Originally Posted by brontide View Post

Rebooted and things seem to work. I have not noticed any significant increase in mmc speed but dmesg clearly indicates that it's operating at 48000000Hz
You need to trip the the cpufreq into performance to get the full speed. I'll probably end up adding this patch to an diablo kernel of mine.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to qwerty12 For This Useful Post:
sounds interesting but does this come at the cost of battery life? and is this script only for dual booting?

I'm curious because it might solve my metalayer-crawler and mplayer scanning time problem. I've got whole websites (ebooks/decompressed chms) in my NIT that's why i need faster read speeds.

please make it noob friendly

Posts: 229 | Thanked: 108 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Sacramento, California
For me personally, I run the script and leave it in performance mode all of the time. I believe the battery drain difference is negligent and exchange for the performance gain received.

Posts: 868 | Thanked: 474 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Capital District, NY, USA
Originally Posted by qwerty12 View Post
You need to trip the the cpufreq into performance to get the full speed. I'll probably end up adding this patch to an diablo kernel of mine.
Do you need the performance governor, or are you only going to get the fastest performance when you are running at full tilt ( because of the bus divisor ). I have my own ondemand tuning that makes it much twitchier about jumping to 400mhz.

Code:
#!/bin/sh
echo 1 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/ondemand/ignore_nice_load
echo 30 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/ondemand/up_threshold
cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/ondemand/sampling_rate_min > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/ondemand/sampling_rate
echo ondemand > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor
echo 400000 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_max_freq
echo 165000 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_min_freq
I have not found a time when I'm actually doing something that cpuinfo_cur_freq is not 400000.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to brontide For This Useful Post:
Posts: 45 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Austria
Would be great to see a high speed sd, rotation-enabled kernel!!!

Wanted to flash the high speed kernel yesterday but can't live without your rotation kernel anymore.

Hypothetically any increased battery drain due to higher frequency during SD card transfers should be offset by the shorter transfer time, so if the standard kernel could handle that it would be great..

Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
I want to build an android kernel with this in it but it's failing to compile so for now, all I can do is an rotation kernel with this patch in it.

(Doh, I'm tired, I posted this message in the wrong thread before >.<)

EDIT: Done. Stock diablo kernel with this patch and rotation. (no android support. Sorry, but it may be a while before I sort out that android patch :/)
http://www.mediafire.com/?yzgm9ywyity

Last edited by qwerty12; 2008-07-14 at 16:19.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to qwerty12 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 868 | Thanked: 474 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Capital District, NY, USA
I want to build an android kernel with this in it but it's failing to compile so for now, all I can do is an rotation kernel with this patch in it. I'll edit this post when it's uploaded.

(Doh, I'm tired, I posted this message in the wrong thread before >.<)
Can you throw in the futex patch as well. ( if it compiles, don't worry if it doesn't )