Active Topics

Posts: 109 | Thanked: 196 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ Guatemala
Originally Posted by Stskeeps View Post
The discussion only dealt with licenses that prohibit commercial usage of the software - there are GPLv2 licensed materials in Ubuntu - and my own personal scripts are BSD-licensed. The point about GPLv3 was that the mere existence of GPLv3 licensed materials in the base system makes sure Mer will be used in open devices (Tivoization protection), living up to the motto of open device open platform (which Nokia tablets are) in contrast to let's say, T-Mobile G1, which is closed device open platform.
I just would like to warn here about some possible mis-interpretations from readers and to make some points.

Nokia tablets are not open devices/platform neither: HW is closed, no documentation/schematics, you can't install any other operating system standalone without relying on their proprietary bit-banging controlling software. SW platform is closed too, you can't install Maemo on any other device without the important bits that are proprietary and without Nokia blessing or changing the branding name.

I don't see the point in GPLv3 for Mer self components when Mer itself (as any other operating system for Nokia tablets) relies on proprietary components. If binary object linkage exists it would be incompatible.

I myself applaud Nokia for being a contributor to the open source ecosystem but selling or saying that the tablets are open devices is misleading, a trap I fell myself once.

Good news is that it seems the new tablet RX-51 would be more open, probably at the same level as the ADP1 (and at a lesser degree, the G1) which have all it's hardware fully working with GPLv2 drivers _and_ without bit-banging interfaces.

Anyway as always keep the good work!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to solca For This Useful Post:
Posts: 253 | Thanked: 104 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Midwest, USA
Originally Posted by Jaffa View Post
Well, Nokia have something approaching them. They just can't release them. And steal them from whom, exactly?
I have no proof that they will be freely downloadable, but Adobe has released pretty much every other version of flash for free download, so it seems likely that they would intend to release the ARM versions for download as well. But, take a look at this link: http://adamcohenrose.blogspot.com/20...n-project.html

The rest was a joke...take it easy.

Last edited by neatojones; 2009-02-02 at 21:04.

Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by solca View Post
I just would like to warn here about some possible mis-interpretations from readers and to make some points.

Nokia tablets are not open devices/platform neither: HW is closed, no documentation/schematics, you can't install any other operating system standalone without relying on their proprietary bit-banging controlling software.
And to just illustrate what I meant by open vs closed device, - You need a developer key (and special T-Mobile G1!) to replace firmware on a G1. On a tablet, you have full root access and you can run NITdroid, Mer, Gentoo, Debian, etc. Without having to jailbreak or 'telnetd' your device.
As you go on to other communities, remember to build them around politeness, respect, trust and humility. Be wary of poisonous people and deal with them before they end up killing your community.. Seen it happen to too many IRC channels, forums, open source projects.

Originally Posted by Stskeeps View Post
And to just illustrate what I meant by open vs closed device, - You need a developer key (and special T-Mobile G1!) to replace firmware on a G1. On a tablet, you have full root access and you can run NITdroid, Mer, Gentoo, Debian, etc. Without having to jailbreak or 'telnetd' your device.
Sorry in insisting on this open discussion, but in reality both are closed locked devices, just that the G1 have it's lock on the bootloader (easy to circumvent) and the Nokia tablets have it's lock on _required_ system software (_very_hard_ to reverse engineer).

Knowing what I'm talking about, ten years from now everybody would benefit from updated open source drivers, updated kernels and documentation for the G1/ADP1; but for the tablets... you simply can't, you will always be stuck with the historic 2.6.21 Nokia release.

My point is that you should not consider the current tablets as open, the next one probably...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to solca For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
no documentation/schematics
Not sure about that that: http://nmacleod.com/nokia/schematics/ *cough*

Originally Posted by qwerty12 View Post
Not sure about that that: http://nmacleod.com/nokia/schematics/ *cough*
Desn't link to an official Nokia domain...

Was illegally leaked?

The Following User Says Thank You to solca For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
I don't see the point in GPLv3 for Mer self components when Mer itself (as any other operating system for Nokia tablets) relies on proprietary components. If binary object linkage exists it would be incompatible.
Mer is not just for the Nokia tablets. There will be a distribution for devices other than the Nokia tablets. See post #11.

I just had something pretty cool happen... I clicked on the install file for diablo on N8x0 ( I have an N810 ).. went through the install and everything was successful. Now I go click on the menu icon and all of my icons are gone!! lol.

It's pretty nifty.. I have No categories, no nothing.. just the 2 column layout completely blank! My personal menu still works.. and Control panel was in there.. so I went through and added a bunch of needed apps to my Personal Menu.. but I can't the original menu to work.. and no idea where to look for trouble shooting!!

Any ideas? Pretty cool side-effect IMHO

ETA:
Ignore me.. I think this has something to do with the way I had some stuff tied into my /media/mmc1 directory and I currently have it unmounted... it's causing MCE and pre-installed-documentation to fail on apt-get .. very much like described here http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...=23958&page=20 ...

I don't think this is cause of Mer but because of my tinkering with crap..
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

Last edited by fatalsaint; 2009-02-03 at 05:17.

Posts: 253 | Thanked: 104 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Midwest, USA
This probably seems silly, but did you try a complete reboot? I've had weird stuff like that happen before when I maxed out my RAM. Maybe you have a swap partition activated that got messed up.

Edit: Nevermind. Looks like you fixed it already.

Last edited by neatojones; 2009-02-03 at 05:25.

No.. still not fixed but yes I rebooted. It's quite odd.. I've remounted my mmc1 so it can access the MyDocs/.sounds and stuff .. but mce keeps failing on "start" with no real error. Still digging into it.. I evidentally broke something good .
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

Tags
mer, mer release firmware