Active Topics

Posts: 1,665 | Thanked: 1,649 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Praha, Czech Republic
lonelybug, you basically debated the same issue already in http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=33982 .

At least your tone is inappropriate here.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Andre Klapper For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by lonelybug View Post
The reason is very simple and clear. There are different country languages and fonts, how come a Internet tablet can only browse 15 Languages (regions) Webpages and Internet resources.

I really don't get it. The Internet concept is always globally. this is why android, iphone and MW, these mature systems naturely support multiple regions to conver the almost counties in the world.

finally, the most ridiculous thing is the maemo system is a linux-kernal mobile system, it is a open source and globally community product, however the N900 is fianlly make as an another toy, which is just to satisify the European rather than the world.

Is it possible of Nokia want to get back the lost maket from N900 or Maemo? Who knows, maybe just a dream.
What is your problem??? Nokia always had better support for different languages that iphone.

If you guys think this suggestion is stupid one, I think the most stupid and pathetic guys come from here. Why? check out how much programmers work for iphone apps store and Android and even Symbian outside of this tower of ivory.

To see and understand the history of Maemo and Nokia devices, you guys perspective is understandable. When Nokia is really start to do global marketing of Maemo based devices somedays later, then, it will hire more developers to make as much as possible people around the world happy and statisify with the "offical" mark applications rather than you guys here.

We will see. who is the final dumb as*hole.
We should focus on building great free applications for maemo and leave this guy speaking alone…

Originally Posted by Fargus View Post
Leave the Bigoted responses at home please!

Chinese is spoken by more people than any other language to the best of my knowledge so if you are talking about a common language I think you might loose that one on a numbers basis.
Should we change this thread's language to Chinese? Are all programming languages useless for writing internet applications because they base on english words?

Posts: 20 | Thanked: 26 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by draco.bdn View Post
yes because it's an internet tablet.
but why support languages where the phone is not offered?
Draco hit the nail on the head there.

Yes, the INTERNET is global but N900 is a mobile device that is aimed mainly at markets and countries where users have unlimited data downloads, who wants to use the internet anywhere they happen to be, via their service operators, such as Vodafone, T-Mobile, Verizon, etc.

So, there's no point selling N900 in countries such as India and China where most subscribers won't have Unlimited Data package or cheap data packages with their service providers.

Just my 2 cents.

The reason is very simple and clear. There are different country languages and fonts, how come a Internet tablet can only browse 15 Languages (regions) Webpages and Internet resources.
The 'inter' in 'internet' does _not_ mean 'international'.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TA-t3 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 271 | Thanked: 124 times | Joined on May 2006 @ Aperture Science, Inc.
Only about half of China's population can speak the national language, Mandarin.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/6426005.stm

The Following User Says Thank You to quingu For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
[QUOTE=Fargus;367060...based on numbers of people speaking Kanji was up the top...[/QUOTE]

This one really got me!

Kanji is NOT a speaking language. Kanji is a written language that is being used by Chinese as well as Japanese. I guess, you can read (interprete) Kanji, you cannot "speak"(?) Kanji, or Kanji is being 'spoken' differently by Chinese vs Japanese. (I am completely lost by the use of the word "speak" )

Now we go into the part, WHAT is a language, spoken, or written, or both, or neither, how about sign language? How about computer language FORTRAN, BASIC, COBOL, .... (hey, help me to add more, computer geeks!). When you are with your love one(s), there are body language. These are the languages just off top of my head.

The quoted statement may or may not be correct, depends on how one use the word, hey, "speaking".

bun

Last edited by bunanson; 2009-11-06 at 11:03.

Sorry guys, I was going to participate in this discussion, but I have just realised that my desktop computer does not have language information for swahili, yiddish,aramaic, sindarin nor the language used solely by a single tribe somewhere deep in the Amazon forest. It clearly isn't up to spec to access the Internet and should never have been connected in the first place. Sorry for letting you all down, I shall disconnect immediately.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to jaark For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by bunanson View Post
How about computer language FORTRAN, BASIC, COBOL, .... (hey, help me to add more, computer geeks!).
There are just too many.. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ming_languages

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TA-t3 For This Useful Post:

Tags
cool story bro, cunning linguist, dumb thread read if bored, he can't get an n900, he loves the iphone..., stop the sexism, toe, too long didn't read, turning japanese, wooptadeedoo!, yes we know why, you're lonely