Notices

Posts: 150 | Thanked: 93 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Pennsylvania, US
Originally Posted by javispedro View Post
Not really, since IDLE also requires you to poll the server every 30 minutes.
30 minutes is better than 1. I want my e-mail when it arrives at the server.

Edit: Technically, this is not the requirement. After refreshing my memory of RFC 2177 (it's been a while), it is "advised to terminate the IDLE and re-issue it at least every 29 minutes to avoid being logged off". So this would be completely dependent on the server configuration - and probably something that should be a default, but remain configurable on the client end.

Last edited by rewt; 2009-12-07 at 21:13.

IMAP IDLE is the best solution, with optimal battery drain and quick performance. Nokia is making a mistake betting on Nokia Messaging. They've been working on this service for years now with less than optimal results. Personally I've been grappling with Nokia Messaging across several Nokia phones and it has never worked reliably, if at all. How can they hang onto this failing service without seeing the failure rate and responding in some sort of a positive manner? Profimail has been demonstrating excellence in this area for years now. It's a fact that Nokia devices require a third party solution for push email. And the frustration is compounded for N900 users because the device uses a new operating system and Profimail must be recoded if N900 users are to have a practical solution. Where is Nokia in all this? Isn't it time to for them to go beyond collecting and reading bug reports and to provide their users with a serious, practical solution. How many years longer must we wait?

Last edited by wingsmith; 2009-12-15 at 22:05.

Originally Posted by wingsmith View Post
IMAP IDLE is the best solution, with optimal battery drain and quick performance. Nokia is making a mistake betting on Nokia Messaging. They've been working on this service for years now with pathetic results. It can't send me more than about ten emails in a row without thoroughly choking on the eleventh. On the plus side Nokia Messaging at least sends me a blank page so I know that an email was sent and I can track it down using other email clients, but seriously now, how can they hang onto this failing service without seeing the failure rate and responding in some sort of a positive manner? Profimail has been demonstrating excellence in this area for years now. It's too bad Nokia devices require a third party solution for true, reliable push email. And the frustration is compounded for N900 users because the device uses a new operating system and Profimail's publishers must recode the program if N900 users are to have a practical push email solution. Where is Nokia in all this? Isn't it time to for them to go beyond collecting and reading bug reports and to provide their users with a serious, practical solution. How many years longer must we wait?
Agreed.
Do we really have to pester people to "vote" for bugs in order for nokia to add functionality that should have been implemented in the first place?

Posts: 50 | Thanked: 56 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Oviedo, Florida
Originally Posted by Relativistic View Post
Do we really have to pester people to "vote" for bugs in order for nokia to add functionality that should have been implemented in the first place?
Yes, we do.

If management knows what we consider to be hot issues, then they can schedule their development resources appropriately.

Do resist the temptation to treat Nokia as an adversary, and instead focus on the partnership. That is the promise of this platform.

Originally Posted by javispedro View Post
Not really, since IDLE also requires you to poll the server every 30 minutes.
It's more of a keepalive (the reason is to refresh the connection timers to avoid losing the current IMAP session) than a poll, and the overhead is minimal (the client simply sends a DONE followed by another IDLE) compared to a refresh.

Originally Posted by wingsmith View Post
IMAP IDLE is the best solution, with optimal battery drain and quick performance.
NOTIFY would be a better solution, but server support for it is very sparse at the moment.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
Yep. A DONE+IDLE is very little data, compared to a refresh which currently takes about 50KB with my old email client on the N800 (this is with IMAP and no new email).

Adding NOTIFY extension support will improve things even more, but I haven't seen support for it in those servers I'm using.

Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
Originally Posted by rewt View Post
30 minutes is better than 1. I want my e-mail when it arrives at the server.
And that's the main benefit -- battery life won't be improved at all unless your current setup has 1minute polling. (the default in Fremantle is 30 minute polling). And even then, it will be improved slightly.

My SSL IMAP connection uses exactly 2850 bytes (sum of downstream/upstream) to connect (including SSL negotiation), check for new mail and disconnect.

How much check for email sucks down is all up to a combination of client and server. Citadel imap, for example, forces the email client to transfer much more data than Squirrel imap. With the same client.
For me IMAP IDLE would be a huge win even compared to a polling time of a couple of hours w/o IDLE.

I am another advocate for IMAP IDLE to be enabled on Maemo 5, after all the gusto behind Maemo 5 and the N900 I have to admit I am dissapointed for IMAP IDLE not enabled on this device. If "Openess" is what maemo 5 is all about, why would such a crucial feature be omitted? My own assumption is that maybe Nokia wants to funnel everyone into using Nokia Messaging - which although is a huge improvement over previous Nokia mail clients, I still much prefer the likes of Profimail. If Maemo is all about openess, we as users should have this option available to us.