Active Topics

Posts: 963 | Thanked: 626 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Connecticut, USA
Originally Posted by matteone View Post
I.

I'm tryng now call myself.

When the phone is ringing you can:

1) Push the monitor icon to silence the phone. But this is not ad harware button
2) Push the Power button and then with the monitor chouse a silence profile ( so you use ad hardware button and a monitor function )
3) If you Push down the ringtone volume ... nothing appends. The ringtone volume doesn't change.
4) If you push the other harware button ( like the hold on button, and the camera botton ) ... nothing appends.

That's it.
Thanks for testing this and reporting your finds. I was afraid of this. But, not all hope is gone. Lets see if someone with the necessary skills gets this itch and decides to scratch it for us all.

http://temporaryland.wordpress.com/

Posts: 11 | Thanked: 7 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Perth, Australia
Maybe you can get a case with the clip at the top of the case that would allow you enough motion to lift up the bottom so that the phone goes from vertical (hanging by your side) to now horizontal to the floor (face down).

It would depend on the case and whether or not tilting the phone from vertical to horizontal silences the ringer. Also how long it needs to be face down for matters; any longer than half a second and you would start to look very silly!

Probably unlikely to ever work since I think most cases have the belt clip in the middle. And yeah you would probably look ridiculous anyway :P

Posts: 24 | Thanked: 22 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Bologna - Italy
Originally Posted by rm42 View Post
Thanks for testing this and reporting your finds. I was afraid of this. But, not all hope is gone. Lets see if someone with the necessary skills gets this itch and decides to scratch it for us all.
You are welcome :-)

I got bit by this one. I was sitting in a meeting of about 50 people and it was very quiet. I was in the back of the room, half asleep. My phone went off. I had it set to a rock song. It was very loud and I wasn't able to shut it off for several very very long seconds. The touchscreen didn't respond because it was busy flipping back and forth between portrait and landscape. To say that I was embarrased would be an extreme understatement. We *NEED* a hardware silence button. Or I have to go with nice pretty jingles for my ringers...

I think you can mute it by just flipping it over ? Didn't try it, I don't have my N900 yet..

Even better would be vibrate first, then ring. Most other phones have that function in 2009. I know, I know, it's not a phone... <rolls eyes>

Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
Originally Posted by 86turbodsl View Post
Even better would be vibrate first, then ring. Most other phones have that function in 2009. I know, I know, it's not a phone... <rolls eyes>
The N900 has that too, if you enable vibration for the default profile.

No, actually it vibrates and rings at the same time. At least mine does. I already tried that.

Posts: 861 | Thanked: 734 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Nomadic
Originally Posted by 86turbodsl View Post
I got bit by this one. I was sitting in a meeting of about 50 people and it was very quiet. I was in the back of the room, half asleep. My phone went off. I had it set to a rock song. It was very loud and I wasn't able to shut it off for several very very long seconds. The touchscreen didn't respond because it was busy flipping back and forth between portrait and landscape. To say that I was embarrased would be an extreme understatement. We *NEED* a hardware silence button. Or I have to go with nice pretty jingles for my ringers...
This is what I've done with my N97 and N95, when in the pocket and a ring comes in, I do a mild double-tap to the back of the phone. This stimulates the sensors measuring for the "flip to silent feature" and boom I'm silenced (or in the case of my N95, I've silenced the call and sent an SMS that I wasn't available).

Try that and see what happens for you - just not in another meeting ok.