Active Topics

Notices

Originally Posted by Mixu View Post
However, now the Canola tuning doesn't work so I don't have any cover art at the moment So, if yout Canola installation works, don't fix it
Yeah, I'm aware of the problem, it was related to the Canola-Tuning package list of dependencies.

Anyway, I seriously think by now that canola tuning plugin code should be merged back to the main tree. The album cover and video thumbnail feature should be enabled by default, IMHO.

The Following User Says Thank You to etrunko For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
Canola cleanup worked for me, reinstalled Canola, but now I couldn't get Carman working. It removed it in the process, after reinstall it keeps throwing me "No Plugin Found" errors, and it couldn't access the config file.
This is another reason why the package has not been promoted to extras repository. The latest EFL build breaks compatibility with previous versions. So we need to adapt the Carman packages to this new version. The same applies to all other packages built on the EFL stack.

Unfortunately, as you may have guessed by now, Carman has the same maintenance problem as Canola. Actually it's a bit worse, as it hasn't got any devs devoting their spare time to it. I will try to get the issue solved at least to get it working. But to be honest, don't expect any other bugs or features implemented for Carman.

Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
Originally Posted by etrunko View Post
First of all, Canola was not promoted from extras-devel to neither extras testing, nor extras repository for Diablo and Fremantle. It's only available on the extras repository for the ancient and unmaintained Chinook, which runs only on the N800 devices. Anyway, I thought most of you who own one of those had already upgraded to Diablo long time ago. If not, you should do it ASAP.

So basically this is one of the reasons why Canola has not been promoted to the extras repository yet. Application Manager can't handle conflicting packages correctly. There is indeed some lightmediascanner conflicting packages and it was needed so we could follow the upstream debian packages.

One simple solution and something that proves that App Mgr is missing some feature (or it is indeed a bug - still need to check) is to get root on xterm and type:

# apt-get install canola2

It will see the conflicts, but will also see that the new packages replace the old ones and installation will succeed.
First, Etrunko, thanks for coming here! I hope you enjoyed your vacation. I think it's great you don't have good internet and can't work while on vacation -- you shouldn't have to!

I don't understand your post about Chinook and Diablo and the repositories. Are you saying that there has never been a Canola release for Diablo and we "shouldn't" be using it on Diablo?

Also, are you aware that the automatic-update feature of Diablo is pushing the Canola update at us? If it's not coming from the Diablo Extras repository, where is it coming from?

Thanks.

Help Save This Forum
for N8x0/Diablo Users! Register and Vote for Solution #1 on this Brainstorm. (The Solution will let you see New Posts with any threads you choose -- like the N900 and Maemo5/Fremantle threads -- filtered out.) (To understand the Solution better, see these posts #17, #18, and #19.)

Originally Posted by GeraldKo View Post
I don't understand your post about Chinook and Diablo and the repositories. Are you saying that there has never been a Canola release for Diablo and we "shouldn't" be using it on Diablo?
It's pretty simple. The Canola2 version 2.0.0 is not available in Diablo extras yet, it's only in extras-devel. Check it out on the links to the repository:

extras-devel

extras

You may notice there is no canola2/ folder in the extras link provided.

Also, are you aware that the automatic-update feature of Diablo is pushing the Canola update at us? If it's not coming from the Diablo Extras repository, where is it coming from?
Yes, I'm pretty aware of that feature, and I suspect you may have somehow enabled the extras-devel repository. You may check the Application Manager or even the following files:

/etc/apt/sources.list
/etc/apt/sources.list.d/hildon-application-manager.list

Lines begining with a # are disabled.

In Application Manager, I have Maemo Extras-Devel DISabled. And when I do occasionally enable it, I get all sorts of suggested updates. But I usually have it disabled, and I always have the suggested Canola2 update.

Is it because I have Maemo Chinook enabled? But shouldn't SSU/Canola2 know not to update my Canola2 in Diablo even if Maemo Chinook Repository is enabled?

The other repositories I have enabled are:

Nokia catalog
Nokia catalog (3rd party software)
Nokia System Software Updates
maemo Extras
Browser Extras
FBReader Repository
Maemo Chinook
Mozilla Catalog
Nokia certified
Qole (has the tear browser)
Wardenclyffe
debfarm
maemo Extra Diablo
maemo Extras
tschmidt

Is it because I have Maemo Chinook enabled? But shouldn't SSU/Canola2 know not to update my Canola2 in Diablo even if Maemo Chinook Repository is enabled?
Bingo! So you are running Diablo and have the Chinook repository enabled, that's the exact reason you still get the update sign.

I mean, Diablo was meant to replace Chinook in every way. Besides being somehow compatible, many system libraries and binary programs have been replaced by updated version and others might even have been dropped.

In other words, you shouldn't have that Chinook repository enabled in your tablet running Diablo.

The same applies for people running Chinook, who shouldn't have the Diablo repositories enabled.

Thanks for clearing that up.

On the other hand, I believe I successfully use some Chinook apps for which there are no Diablo versions. (In fact, if I'm following what you've written in this thread, it sounds like Canola2 may be one of them.)

Help Save This Forum
for N8x0/Diablo Users! Register and Vote for Solution #1 on this Brainstorm. (The Solution will let you see New Posts with any threads you choose -- like the N900 and Maemo5/Fremantle threads -- filtered out.) (To understand the Solution better, see these posts #17, #18, and #19.)

any word on when the source will be released so others can help with development and porting to future OSes?

Originally Posted by hordeman View Post
any word on when the source will be released so others can help with development and porting to future OSes?
Source has been released since March this year. Check the post on my blog. Code is available on our own installation of gitorious

http://code.openbossa.org

We'll be looking forward for your contributions.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to etrunko For This Useful Post:
About the repositories: Removing "Maemo Chinook" was inadequate -- the SSU still asked me to update Canola2. It kept asking me to until I removed the word "Chinook" from the Distributions line in the catalog called "maemo Extras Diablo."