Originally Posted by ossipena View Post
good job, you just ruined your reputation. (unless you manage to find respectable sources to back your words up)
After this thread Im concerned I have anyway - you want some sources you say...?

Engadget:

After having dug in, we're seeing glimmers of brilliance here that give us hope. Maemo 5 isn't the polished, consumer-friendly, all-encompassing solution that Palm, Google, and Apple are all selling today, but it's fairly evident that Nokia has built itself a stable, extensible platform that can reach those levels with a little tender loving care. The company's commitment to open source and the Maemo development community is commendable -- it's something that should absolutely continue -- but going forward, we'd love to see what kinds of magical things could happen if it took development to 100 percent feature completion internally with a full round of usability testing before handing it off to the eager geeks in the field. The mere thought sends shivers down our spine.
http://www.engadget.com/2010/01/19/nokia-n900-review/

Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by chrisp7 View Post
After this thread Im concerned I have anyway - you want some sources you say...?

Engadget:

one down, n+1 to go....
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

Posts: 883 | Thanked: 980 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Bern, Switzerland
Originally Posted by Lullen View Post
But why does it have to be like this?
Please install HTop on your device. Then you start it when your device is slow and can see what's eating the CPU time.
IMHO, there is still something wrong somewhere in the OS. I'm especially scared of Tracker, the indexing engine, running amok. This has happneed already a few times on my N900s.
(Instead of installing something, you could also just do "top" in x-term, or "tracker-status")
The 2nd thing is that input touches sometimes aren't recognized or then as doubletaps.

I' say this is the price for witnessing the birth of a new, vastly superior mobile computing and communication platform

"the idea of truly having a computer in your pocket just moved a big step closer."

Posts: 236 | Thanked: 223 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ NE UK

Engadget:

Can't resist dipping in again. From your source:
If nothing else, Maemo 5 is pretty -- Nokia's prettiest platform ever, in fact, by a wide margin. We're sure that's due in no small part to the fact that the N900 is the first in the company's Internet Tablet line to employ a modern ARM Cortex A8-based core, making screen transitions and effects fast enough to accomplish their intended function: beautify the UI without sapping away precious seconds of the user's time. Out-of-focus screen elements are actually visually out of focus, which looks great (photographers, think "nice bokeh" here) and applications zoom and fade as you open, close, and minimize them.

Almost without fail, sites were rendered faithfully (just as you'd expect them to look in Firefox on your desktop) with fully-functional, usable Flash embeds -- and it's fast. Not only is the initial rendering fast, but scrolling around complex pages (Engadget's always a good example) was effortless; you see the typical grid pattern when you first scroll into a new area, of course, but it fills in with the correct content rapidly. To say we were blown away by the N900's raw browsing power would be an understatement
The only two quotes I can find in that article that refer to speed. The word "slow" does not appear in the article. What was the topic of this thread again?

Anyway, Engadget's summary is probably worth quoting. I more or less agree:
As a daily workhorse smartphone for your average Jill or Joe, it's impossible to recommend the N900 at this point; it's just missing too much functionality that's waiting to be written by some enterprising CS grad students with spare time on their hands. As a second, dedicated browsing device or a geeky weekend hobby, though -- possibly an upgrade from an N810 -- the N900 is a very compelling device indeed.
Personally, I'm firmly in the "geeky weekend hobby" camp. The existing functionality of the phone qua phone is quite enough for my simple telephonic needs. Beyond the browser and basic stuff like the camera and whatnot, the appeal of the device very much inheres in it being a relatively open linux system and the possibilities that provides. I've had no speed issues that I can remember, no crashes, just one reluctant-to-boot issue fixed by removing and replacing the battery.

If I was an average Jill or Joe, I hope I would have read and taken heed of a few informed reviews like the engadget one, before I embarked on a career of "buy and whine".

one down, n+1 to go....
When I have time I will(might) try and find a load of sources.You know full well this is ridiculous we all know the N900 is lacking in many basic features/needs bug fixing.

Originally Posted by kwotski View Post
Can't resist dipping in again. From your source:

The only two quotes I can find in that article that refer to speed. The word "slow" does not appear in the article. What was the topic of this thread again?

Anyway, Engadget's summary is probably worth quoting. I more or less agree:

Personally, I'm firmly in the "geeky weekend hobby" camp. The existing functionality of the phone qua phone is quite enough for my simple telephonic needs. Beyond the browser and basic stuff like the camera and whatnot, the appeal of the device very much inheres in it being a relatively open linux system and the possibilities that provides. I've had no speed issues that I can remember, no crashes, just one reluctant-to-boot issue fixed by removing and replacing the battery.

If I was an average Jill or Joe, I hope I would have read and taken heed of a few informed reviews like the engadget one, before I embarked on a career of "buy and whine".
*sigh* You need to read the thread, I havent just been saying the N900 is slow. Dont just dip into a thread and make ignorant comments like that, you are completely misconstruing everything I have said.

Last edited by chrisp7; 2010-01-22 at 12:31.

Posts: 236 | Thanked: 223 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ NE UK
*sigh* You need to read the thread
No. I really don't

Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
When I have time I will(might) try and find a load of sources.You know full well this is ridiculous I claim that the N900 is lacking in many basic features/needs bug fixing.

fixed your statement.
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

fixed your statement.
Head.in.sand.

Do you want me to disseminate what is wrong with the N900 (for all, not just me) - I could easily do so. All you are doing is in sighting that. Perhaps you should take off your Nokia hat eh.

Last edited by chrisp7; 2010-01-22 at 12:35.

I can't say I'm not impressed by my N900.
Anyway I had some bugs with it.
Although every user must remember that the N900 is a computer! Not a phone.
Some bugs I found maybe haven't been tested.
The first bug I encountered: The alarm doesn't work if you're downloading an app through the paket manager. At night I started to download Open-Arena and felt asleep. The alarm didn't work the other day. When not downloading something and just let the phone in the main menu, the alarm works perfectly.
The other thing is that the browser doesn't scroll correctly. The right side of the screen moves up a little bit later so it just doesn't look good, when you're scrolling. Maybe it's just not that bad at least.
The last thing, I really don't like is Skype, Music player and the Internet Browser.
When surfing in the internet and somebody calls me through Skype the hole phone goes apeshit. That's need to be fixed right now!
While listening to music it also happens time to time, that the music stops and so on.
That at least aren't so bad things at all, but well... they talked about multitask, but... well the HD2 I had for testing did that job much better.
So Skype, Browsing and installing software was no problem at all.
The N900 won't to that, it's more like an iPhone. It CAN run more apps but don't think it will work that good. Hopefully they will fix this.
At least I like the N900 - it's a powerfull phone and it doesn't use this multi touch grap

since nokia fixed my broken N900 (the usb port broke and your will break soon...)
the os is terribly slooow.... i can't watch flash videos anymore its too slow...
i don't know what they have done to my device, they said, they just fixed the usb port and made a software update....