Active Topics

Poll: Have you had charging or USB problems with your N900
Poll Options
Have you had charging or USB problems with your N900

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
DaKing, please-- some punctuation, thanks.

Regardless of the solution, it involves some sort of change on the motherboard. That's why Nokia is replacing them. As for a self-fix, if one is forced to that drastic recourse then no, a motherboard change is not required-- just expertise in PWB repair or at least a quick grasp of the issues.

Posts: 1,729 | Thanked: 388 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Canada
so do MOST of these issues occurs on the pre-ordered devices?

just wondering coz i just met someone with the same problem, according to that person, the device was pre-ordered. Nokia fixed his phone with no charge, also paying back and forth shipment.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by gabby131 View Post
so do MOST of these issues occurs on the pre-ordered devices?
I can't say for certain but it's highly likely to occur more on pre-production devices... that may extend to pre-ordered as well if they were fulfilled with early builds.

The Following User Says Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
I can't say for certain but it's highly likely to occur more on pre-production devices... that may extend to pre-ordered as well if they were fulfilled with early builds.
thanks, so we can expect that this wont happen on some devices that are ordered when the n900 lands on market and future productions.

but i think its still better to handle a 600 buck device with care.

The Following User Says Thank You to gabby131 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 857 | Thanked: 1,206 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Chertsey in the Thames, United Kingdom
Bought my N900 on UK release day. Yesterday I removed the charging cable and the socket came out with it

Taking it to Nokia tomorrow. There was no reason for this, not abused the socket or dropped it with charger connected. Really annoyed as I will be lost without it

Originally Posted by bockersjv View Post
Bought my N900 on UK release day. Yesterday I removed the charging cable and the socket came out with it

Taking it to Nokia tomorrow. There was no reason for this, not abused the socket or dropped it with charger connected. Really annoyed as I will be lost without it
men we have another one!!

dont worry, as TexRat posted, this issue is slowly but surely being resolved.

just wanna ask what date is that UK release day you mentioned???

and i just wanna add if someone had vote for this poll that his/her n900 has no issue concerning the microusb port, but after some weeks or month, the issue had occur.

Last edited by gabby131; 2010-03-01 at 22:20.

Posts: 12 | Thanked: 13 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Sweden
Originally Posted by DaKing View Post
what motherboard why does the issue damage the mother board i mean if my usb port gets broken i cant fix it only fix the port like how much do i have to pay or i must change the whole board ( am in a country i didnt purchase the n900 from ) thats why im concerned.
I'm no expert on repairing/soldering surface-mounted components but from what i could see is the USB-port situated in a tight spot with metal-cages (RF-shields) on two sides and that may make it difficult to replace the USB-port.

So maybe it is easier/quicker to just change the motherboard, especially if they have alot of them in stock.

Originally Posted by sula View Post
So maybe it is easier/quicker to just change the motherboard, especially if they have alot of them in stock.
If the pads peel off, there is nothing the connector can be soldered to, so there is no way to do the repair right.

Posts: 1,283 | Thanked: 370 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ South Florida
Originally Posted by sula View Post
phew!
Preordered my phone from nokias online-store in sweden and a couple of weeks ago my USB-port just fell out from the phone right after i removed the USB-cable after charging it.
Left the phone to a Nokia-repairshop and after reading this thread i was convinced i would have to pay for the repairs.
But when i got it back today they said that they had replaced the motherboard with a new one and that i didn't have to pay anything !!
There's a certain amount of consistency to how inconsistent Nokia is!

Originally Posted by les_garten View Post
There's a certain amount of consistency to how inconsistent Nokia is!
well yeah, but what matters is that Nokia is making moves on this, even though a bit slow

Tags
bad design, broken, charging, failure, hardware, loose, microusb, microusb port, n900, nokia, part, port, repair, return, surface mount, usb, usb port, warranty