Active Topics

@fatalsaint
I use tmobile and their plans without contracts are a lot more expensive than the ones with contract. I'd rather buy an unlocked phone and do the month to month thing.
My e63 wasn't compatible with tmobile's 3g. Web browsing was slow and I couldn't talk and browse at the same time. Imagine paying $700 for an iPhone or $550 for the nexus one and still b going through my e63 ****ery.
The n900 was without a doubt the best option for me.

i bought my n900 without knowing its full potential. although i have come to realise its power, it was only by mistake really.
infact, im pretty sure that the n900 was only advertised as a 'standard' smartphone here in england.

Originally Posted by cortina61 View Post
I dont know anyone else who bought one I bought it to replace my beloved N95 and thought it would be a step up

am totally out of my depth with it to be honest, and I think if youre not a teccy its really hard to understand why people think its such an awesome device
I'm addicted to this forum trying to learn new things to try and fall in love with it, and learn how to make the most of it but am too scared to even open the terminal let alone have the faintest idea what i would do with it once it was open!
also its quite scary to ask advice surrounded by so many clever people on here, as it might be a silly question

I wish there was something in between this and the basic Nokia user forums as I want more than just the basics but am teriified of the extras develoment etc.
I would like to try the open office, but the debian stuff scares me, even though someone kindly explained it simply
so many people are reporting problems from tinkering and its my work phone and I'm on call 24/7 so really scared of bricking it!

( hope you're impressed with the teccy term bricking!)
I think we may be in the same boat, except I'm not on call. I just play around, knowing that there's always the reformat/reinstall/reflash/rewhatever if I totally screw it up. I backed up all my contacts and didn't pay for any apps, so I figure it'll be a learning experience if/when I crash and burn! Plus my oldest brother is a super-uber-nerd and has the same phone. I can always call him for help.

Posts: 1,148 | Thanked: 613 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Toronto
Originally Posted by casper27 View Post
Today I met my first fellow N900 owner at work. I did not know the guy but noticed him using it at lunch.
I sat down next to him and commented how awesome the phone was to which he agreed. It was only when I asked him what he did with it / Apps and mods he had on it that the full horror hit home.

Just phonecalls and txt bit of browsing not really downloaded much was his reply. This guy has had the phone over 4 months and had not even updated to PR 1 let alone 1.1.

He had never opened the terminal and was amazed when I went into app manager and enabled Extras repo.

Suppose I might have a look was his reply

Angered I promptly bookmarked this forum and ordered him to read and repent for leaving the device in such a state.

Anyone else had such an encounter??
Interesting story man, did you told him about community ? tell him next time so he can join us

Regarding the N900. I'm very happy with my N900 , sure I was disappointed when I got it and noticed some firmware issues and lack of software but I've been using Nokia smartphone for maybe ten years? I'm not sure when 6600 was released..it was my first smartphone and then 6681 , N70 , N73 and N95 8Gb but N900 is not like them at all. Sure some people say that they miss rich functionality from N95 but guys honestly when I open MicroB and start to browse internet I'm forgetting almost all issues with N900 why almost ? because some heavy flash loaded pages are too slow but I guess we cant blame Nokia for it

"I'm a N900 user, can I haz Flash 10 plz?!11!?" © Jaffa

Elopocalypse started on 11.02.2011

@nosa:
You confuse me. Do you mean to say that the t-mobile non-contract plans are less expensive than the contract plans? Because the way you said that - you should want a contract plan.

Nobody I know paid $700 for an iPhone. They got subsidized by their carrier, pay between $60-$80/mo; and got the phones for less than $200.

That is why you take a look at the carrier you *want*, and see if they have a phone that fits you. OTOH: If the phone is more important to you, than you go with the carrier that supports that phone. Verizon is about to get the iPhone if it hasn't already, and all the major players have various Android phones to choose from. All them for cheap; much cheaper than $500+.

But for the N900 there's no option. If I want the N900 I need to use t-mobile (not a problem , I do already, but it is a factor of consideration) - because if I don't I won't get 3G. And if I need to use t-mobile, than t-mobile gets my service for the next 2-years anyway; why would someone that doesn't have a very, very specific reason to buying it (in my case: I can make it do what I want it to; not the other way around) - why would a normal user choose to spend $500 on a phone and $60-$80/mo on t-mobile instead of $99 on a phone and $60-$80 with t-mobile?
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

Originally Posted by philh View Post
... I am a complete linux virgin I can say I have launched xTerminal maybe twice since december.....
Just curious - can you do it twice and still remain a virgin?

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to oved_etzot For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
Originally Posted by oved_etzot View Post
Just curious - can you do it twice and still remain a virgin?
Of course! Just opening it is foreplay...

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to qwerty12 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,195 | Thanked: 2,708 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hanoi
Not yet I have encountered a fellow N900 user but I met hundreds of PC users that give me the same feeling.

Anyway your story tells that the N900 provides a solid out of the box experience.

Same in my case: I found myself browsing internet to much on my E71 so I decided to upgrade to the very best web browsing phone available, researched, bought N900, disabled and uninstalled all the crap to conserve battery power, installed addblock (unfortunately no NoSript) and went on browsing along the way discovering a beautiful and clean user interface and total integration of messaging. Oh delight.

Originally Posted by fatalsaint View Post
@nosa:
You confuse me. Do you mean to say that the t-mobile non-contract plans are less expensive than the contract plans? Because the way you said that - you should want a contract plan.

Nobody I know paid $700 for an iPhone. They got subsidized by their carrier, pay between $60-$80/mo; and got the phones for less than $200.

That is why you take a look at the carrier you *want*, and see if they have a phone that fits you. OTOH: If the phone is more important to you, than you go with the carrier that supports that phone. Verizon is about to get the iPhone if it hasn't already, and all the major players have various Android phones to choose from. All them for cheap; much cheaper than $500+.

But for the N900 there's no option. If I want the N900 I need to use t-mobile (not a problem , I do already, but it is a factor of consideration) - because if I don't I won't get 3G. And if I need to use t-mobile, than t-mobile gets my service for the next 2-years anyway; why would someone that doesn't have a very, very specific reason to buying it (in my case: I can make it do what I want it to; not the other way around) - why would a normal user choose to spend $500 on a phone and $60-$80/mo on t-mobile instead of $99 on a phone and $60-$80 with t-mobile?
yeah, that was a mistake. tmobile contract plans are more expensive than the flex pay plans. with flex pay, however, the phone isn't subsidized. i like my tmobile plan and i'm not about to change carriers because of a phone. if i have a problem with tmobile, i can just say "**** this! i'm outta here" and not bother paying anything for breaking the contract.

so when i got my n900 i looked at the best options on tmobile.

the n900 was $480, the nexus one was $550 and the iphone was $700 unlocked.
the iphone doesnt work on tmo's 3g and was the most expensive option. the nexus one had no physical keyboard. the n900 was just perfect

the "cheap" phones require you to have a contract. what happens when i move to another country? what if i want to switch networks? why should i have to wait for my contract to expire or wait for a phone upgrade? i tried the contract thing and i thought it was stupid. just because iwant a phone sooo bad i should sell my soul for it. if i want it that bad, i save up and then buy it unlocked

Last edited by nosa101; 2010-04-22 at 17:04.

Originally Posted by nosa101 View Post
the n900 was $480, the nexus one was $550 and the iphone was $700 unlocked.
the iphone doesnt work on tmo's 3g and was the most expensive option. the nexus one had no physical keyboard. the n900 was just perfect
What was wrong with the G1, the Cliq, or the MyTouch?

Those are all just as functional as the Nexus One; and two of the three are slated for 2.0 I believe, 2 of the three have keyboards. All would have been cheaper.

How much do you save, per month, on your flex pay plan with t-mobile? (legitimately curious, I want to see the math).
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!