Notices

Poll: Can you view flash videos on webpages after updating to pr 1.2? (Other than youtube)
Poll Options
Can you view flash videos on webpages after updating to pr 1.2? (Other than youtube)

Hi
I just went to iplayer web page, bbc2 one of the progs and pressed play. sure enuf black screen plus sound.
pressed the maximise button on the web view ofvthe video. browser opens new window and plays video about 3/4 screen size landscape mode.
rgds

Posts: 72 | Thanked: 23 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Shropshire UK
Hello again.
I'll try iPlayer again and let you know what happens.
I also realised I set my cache to 40mb, not automatic as I first said. Though I imagine a few of you have tried that already.

When I last posted, I had loaded a few programs to try - something about African walks. History cold case. A few episodes of Dr Who and some other random ones.

i did have a couple of glitches on Dr Who, but I later found it only happened when I went full screen in the pop out straight away. Or it was fluke. When I let the show play - as in get past the bbc ad first, then full screened it, it carried on fine.

I'll try experiment a bit more when the management have disappeared!

The Following User Says Thank You to Ads For This Useful Post:
Using 40mb cache, Eastenders (don't ask just the first link I clicked) played with sound and vision. Not exactly smooth or perfect, but it worked...

So is it 40mb cache and can we hack / modify to give more memory? Any thoughts?

Also, worth looking at is TVCATCHUP - the iphone player now has a decent enough work around. Be patient it works after some delay... kudos

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...+script&page=2

Originally Posted by Ads View Post
Hello again.
I'll try iPlayer again and let you know what happens.
I also realised I set my cache to 40mb, not automatic as I first said. Though I imagine a few of you have tried that already.

When I last posted, I had loaded a few programs to try - something about African walks. History cold case. A few episodes of Dr Who and some other random ones.

i did have a couple of glitches on Dr Who, but I later found it only happened when I went full screen in the pop out straight away. Or it was fluke. When I let the show play - as in get past the bbc ad first, then full screened it, it carried on fine.

I'll try experiment a bit more when the management have disappeared!

seems others are having flash video playback problems too

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...113#post685113

I've had a little play under the hood using

about:config

Searched for anything with the word 'cache' and modified
browser.cache.memory capacity from 40mb to 100mb
also
media.cache.size now up to 100mb

Can't say that either of these have helped

I also set browser.cache.disk.enable from false to true - but this didn't really help. In fact I tried iplayer and it went back to audio only, no video, so I reverted this setting back to false.

I hope this inspires someone who can stumble upon a fix via settings...

I've just installed Conky,

it seems that CPU is running at 600mhz at around 90% to more often 99% when using iplayer.

FYI: I use iplayer pop-up player. Picture quality is poor until I go to full frame and then it looks much improved. This is interesting as it is the same stream, but I imagine that the video scaling (to fit small embedded player) isn't handled as well by microb as playing video at full screen.

So unsurprisingly there are CPU issues here - I haven't yet overclocked my n900 but am feeling tempted to.

Any sensible advice from anyone with experience at overclocking theirs - please no "I've heard this and that". Thanks

The Following User Says Thank You to oweng For This Useful Post:
has anyone been to here yet......

http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/otherversions/

and downloaded the flash player from there?

also, those of you who can get it to still work, are you onlly global firmware, or UK?

On the bbc website help forum there are also a bunch of people with desktops who have been having problems watching iplayer recently.

I still think it's the BBCs fault, but why does it still work for some and not others.

Might try uninstalling extra decoders support and see what that does......

just downloaded a file from flash website called 'install flash player10 for linux.deb'

A bit scared to actually install it though. Does anyone with the knowledge know what it will/might do?

Posts: 355 | Thanked: 395 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ USA
Originally Posted by kyllerbuzcut View Post
just downloaded a file from flash website called 'install flash player10 for linux.deb'

A bit scared to actually install it though. Does anyone with the knowledge know what it will/might do?
it doesn't do anything... its not a deb packaged for maemo

The Following User Says Thank You to humble For This Useful Post:
Please let me clarify my solution from yesterday. The addition of the blocking file wont speed things up on those loaders that hit 1% then stop. You will need patience there, with xnxx (its the only one that people mentioned by name for me to test - don't judge me ), it can take 1 min or so of it sitting on 1% - then the player starts and it works fine.

I cant say why this is except there must be something waiting to be loaded in the background that is now a blocking process in the browser.
Agro ... : |*****-----] Relic(s) : G1, N900