Active Topics

Posts: 1,455 | Thanked: 3,309 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Rochester, NY
Originally Posted by ZShakespeare View Post
On Firefox: Yes, the choice to intentionally not be compatible with the de facto standard video codec due to some nebulous concept of "freedom" doesn't affect it's viability at all.
Way to qualify yourself again.... So choosing the engine that started the entire world wide web phenomina is for some reason dumb? You do realize that Mosaic, the first web browser ever (which was OpenSource) was created by the same person that later made and marketed Netscape (which did well for years before MS decided to make their own browser), who then returned that source base back to the OpenSource arena to form Mozilla/FireFox. You realize this, right?

If you think that ANY other broswer is the "de facto standard", then frankly, you have no idea what you're talking about. And the fact that you're using the web to try to make this point just shows how ignorant you are of your own history.

You've lost your argument (and your dignity). The fact that you can't see it yet just makes it all the more painful. I'd call you a belittling name or such, but I already pity you enough that it would be inhumane to do so. Like kicking a lame cross-eyed puppy.

Good luck "justifying" your twisted point of view to those that will bother to listen. I'm sure you can find a few people that will ditto your warped take on reality. Maybe you can all start your own radio show and promote close-sourced development...

The Following User Says Thank You to woody14619 For This Useful Post:
you called me ignorant. Show me one sucessful open source product that is a commercial sucess, and isn't half finished. Just one.
I'm amazed noone has mentioned Red hat. Based on open source software and a Fortune 500 company.

I define finished as a product that works completely as advertised and has all the features, advantages, and benefits of a similar product in the market.

To be fair GCC and MySQL (while unfortunately not as sucessful as oracle) are excellent products, but we're talking about a consumer grade electronics here not server room software choice.

TIVO...it runs linux under the hood.

Originally Posted by magnunor View Post
I'm amazed noone has mentioned Red hat. Based on open source software and a Fortune 500 company.
Red hat is a bit of a mixed signal. A lot of their stuff is copyrighted, but a lot of their stuff is also open. If Red Hat were completely open, there would be no need for CentOS. But, the nice thing about companies dabbling in this here, obviously defunked and horrid eco-system known as "open source" - is they like to share and play well with each other. Red Hat and CentOS actually have very good communication with each other. I took an RHCE boot camp and asked about CentOS in the classroom, and the Red Hat paid employee said clearly by all means - use that at home to prepare for the exam if you don't have a RHEL 5 license.

Anyway... I'm certainly not going to be answering either shakespear or PradaQueen if they choose to argue with me.

Here's my only real question: Maemo repository gods: Where is the extended attributes in the repository for me to block Prada and Shakespeare from ever downloading my apps . I mean, it shouldn't matter: Since they aren't using any open source at all anyway.. I wouldn't want them to get any use out of something they hate so much.. that would make them hypocritical.. we all know they aren't that.

(We just all have to realize: They don't have a single free app on their android phone (nor run the OS, they just have phones with Google's closed 3 whole apps on it), don't have a single free open app on their iPhone, and don't have an N900 or run any of the apps in our N900 repositories.)

Because.. you know.. if they can't make that claim.. well that totally debunks their entire stance right there.
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

The Following User Says Thank You to fatalsaint For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
"I define finished as a product that works completely as advertised and has all the features, advantages, and benefits of a similar product in the market."

Ok, here's a question for you eminent logicians: If the above is the definition of a finished product, where does the first finished product come from? It can't be finished, because it doesn't have all the advantages etc of an already finished product, because there are no finished products yet.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to geneven For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by geneven View Post
"I define finished as a product that works completely as advertised and has all the features, advantages, and benefits of a similar product in the market."

Ok, here's a question for you eminent logicians: If the above is the definition of a finished product, where does the first finished product come from? It can't be finished, because it doesn't have all the advantages etc of an already finished product, because there are no finished products yet.
What came first: The chicken or the egg?
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

Banned | Posts: 206 | Thanked: 118 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Vancouver
Originally Posted by woody14619 View Post
Mosiac
Thanks for the history lesson. I tried firing it up and making a post but it didn't work. Must be open source

I guess because it's based on the first web browser means it must be the best even if the clownshoes in charge of what used to be my favorite piece of software are ruining it in the name of "freedom". The rest of the internet will move on. Hopefully flash will go the same way.

(Bold mine)
Originally Posted by wmarone View Post
I hate having to sit here and defend an entire concept from the piecemeal (and poor) arguments from people who don't quite know what they're talking about.
Sorry to interrupt, but who tied you down and is making you feed the trolls?

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by PradaBrada View Post
Hating on closed corporations is simply hating on the competition for naive reasons, which is childish at best.
Same goes for hating on open source.

Inanity is a two-way street.

The Following User Says Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Benson View Post
(Bold mine)
Sorry to interrupt, but who tied you down and is making you feed the trolls?

The fact that obvious trolls are spreading FUD without people to clean up after them.

Tags
foolish noobs, ignorance, it's h3lldick!, religious wars, trolling, worstthreadever