Notices

Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
I appreciate singpolyma's clock, because it's basically as flexible as one can make it using the command line in the settings of Advanced Clock. Not my cup of tea, because what I am doing with my custom clock is a bit heavily dependent on Cairo and fetching data from different files all over the place, but it looks like a great idea. (I haven't tested, though I did just look at the code, so I can't say for sure it won't have any bugs in it. Wonko, he left a request/question for you in one of the commented-out lines of that clock: Can we somehow implement support for Klingon Fonts in the main clock.py or higher up, instead of inserting the support into every clock style?)

Meanwhile, if anyone's interested in how my clock style is going:

I got WiFi Signal Applet functionality replicated (except instead of hiding it, I am going to have it show a different letter both for when the wifi driver is unloaded [as in WiFi Switcher and Advance Interface Switcher functionality], and when the wifi driver is loaded, but you're not connected to anything. I'm thinking gray X for unloaded and white X for loaded and not connected, but as with everything else, suggestions for what letters to use would be appreciated, and I may end up using them.)

I also haven't figured out at what dBm value the WiFi Signal Applet changes from 9 to 10. I know all the cut-offs before 9 cut at > -10(n) dBm, where n = 10 - [the signal level]. So signal level 8 is displayed when the signal is any value over -20 dBm (remembering that with negative numbers, -19 > -20, etc); it's just that I've only gotten 10 signal when right next to my home WiFi router, and following that pattern, both 9 and 10 signal clarity are somewhere between 0 dBm and -10 dBm. And I wasn't able to tell in the source code of WiFi Signal Applet where the cut-off is. The only difference is the WiFi Signal Applet does some weird checking voodoo, where it checks somewhere between every zero seconds and every two seconds (not sure how it determines when exactly), so every so often you'll see the wifi signal applet update slightly before or slightly after the clone in my clock style.

At any rate, still planned are support for displaying when the WiFi driver is in monitor mode, AND, if possible, when it's actively injecting (since lxp released that driver a little while ago, albeit in a 'so long as you donate some amount' forced-donation manner). And, of course, internet/data traffic bars, similar to the CPU/RAM bars, for the WiFi, USB, BlueTooth, and GSM/GPRS interfaces are coming eventually. (Again, if possible. I'm sure it must be, just not sure if I'll be able to figure it out.)

Screenshots/code-so-far on request, since I didn't feel this was important enough of progress to post up just yet.

- Replies -

Duy2anh: This happens because Maemo 5 has a 'feature' where it saves a screenshot of some programs, that it displays before launching. It's just a little on the abysmally bad side when it comes to updating some of these screenshots. So, open up X-Terminal, and type:
Code:
rm /home/user/.cache/launch/com.nokia.controlpanel.pvr
Then open the settings 'app' again, and it should always open it the right way from then on. Just be aware that whenever something else is installed into the control panel where you can see it as soon as you open it, you'll have to redo this again if you don't want it to have that ******ed delay.

pusak gaoq: What you're asking for it doable, but the math required is somewhat more complex for a rectangle clock instead of a circular/square clock... Should be doable, I just haven't brushed up on my calculus/trigonometry knowledge since Complex Variables class a year ago, so it might be a while before someone makes it for you.

jdr93: Thanked your post for reporting the bug - but I did not have the same error. Try installing it again, and see if the same problem comes up?

Last edited by Mentalist Traceur; 2011-01-03 at 19:24. Reason: Forgot to reply to a bunch of people.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mentalist Traceur For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,522 | Thanked: 392 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ São Paulo, Brazil
How about a "falling sand game" based hourglass using accellerometer input to control the gravity acting on the sand?

Ummm... probably not within the capabilities of just Cairo. I think there's a python library for accelerometer input though (and I know where to fetch accelerometer data if you just want to use the file()/open() command, as well as the way to use dbus with python to do the same thing), so it's probably doable... You'd need some intense processing to have it run, though. If you just make one grain per minute, it's probably too slow for the sand-glass / gravity effects to be worth the processing, if it's one grain per second, then that's 360 grains per hour. Which means for at least half an hour, you're processing at least 180 grains, each of which has to have movement/acceleration/position calculations done.

Doable, yes, processor efficient? given that efficiency is defined by purpose, I suppose it CAN be, if having that kind of clock is important to you enough to outweigh the system resources it will take up and the fact that it would be pretty hard to actually accurately tell time on it, unless you make multiple color grains for different time markers (red for every hour, blue for every 30 min, green for every 15 min, yellow for every 5, or something like that. If you CAN keep every grain visible inside the applet, you can probably make things like 1-for-every-10-min doable, so long as it's easy to count them at a glance), etc... But most likely, you'll see a bunch of lag when you multitask, which defeats the purpose of having that clock most of the time.

But hey, IF you or someon else wants to do it, go for it. It IS doable. It's just a matter of how willing you are to write that much code (or finding the right stuff to import, which may be possible), just for that clock.

will re-install tomorrow ans see what happens. had been working fine, even when the internet was not available. who knows, will post result.

The Following User Says Thank You to jdr93 For This Useful Post:
I am amused, but where is there, and why is it relevant to Advanced Clock Plugin discussion specifically? (I don't personally care about posts like this, I just want them to come with an explanation of how they have anything to do with where they're posted.)

- Edit -

Just to be clear that was at theonelaw's post.

Sorry, Lost thread
was trying to download the clock from singpolyma

My Mods for Wonko's Advanced Clock Plugin:
ISO8601 clock mod and Momental_IST clock mod

Printing your Email with the N900

If it's not working for you, I can just copy-paste the code here in a code bracket. It's really small.

@Mentalist Traceur: Are you using pywifi for the wifi monitor? For some reason it always returns values in the range 200-204 and I am wondering whether I am implementing it correctly.

The Following User Says Thank You to skykooler For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,522 | Thanked: 392 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ São Paulo, Brazil
Originally Posted by singpolyma View Post
Attached is a first run at a CustomClock. As you can see, with some changes to the settings UI it could easily replace the datetimeclock, decimalclock, as well as the ISO clock posted on this thread. It can do anything the date command can do: unix time, etc. It can also handle an arbitrary number of lines (though more than 3 is basically illegible). Seperate lines in the format string using ~
Why not use the escape sequence \n ? Isn't it what is commonlly used to encode newlines?

Momental_IST:
2-line format:

ISO-8601
Momental (renamed to Momental_IST)

* requires 19 character width.
probably about as wide (20 max?) as feasible given what happens
on the right hand side of the status bar.

* fonts & colors have a very big readability impact on this version
Attached Images

Attached Files
File Type: zip Momental_IST_Clock.py.zip (1.0 KB, 500 views)

My Mods for Wonko's Advanced Clock Plugin:
ISO8601 clock mod and Momental_IST clock mod

Printing your Email with the N900

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to theonelaw For This Useful Post: