Notices

Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
To be fair, I think the FM Radio receiver program is still usable in portrait, because you can see the frequency being received, still use the actual while part to scroll left/right, and the drop-down buttons at the top pop up correctly. In fact, you can even make the saved radio stations button pop up - since the entire bottom bar is the saved stations button (however, I don't have any stations saved, so I don't know how well that menu looks in portrait).

Posts: 2,473 | Thanked: 12,265 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Jerusalem, PS/IL
Hildon Application Manager is open source
The media player otoh...
You can't use any C compiler on windows for maemo development, you'll need the sdk which runs on linux only (a virtual machine should do)

The Following User Says Thank You to MohammadAG For This Useful Post:
HAM is open source? Or are HAM and Hildon Application Manager different things? (I figured it was, and that HAM is an abbrev. for Hildon Application Manager. The folders with those respective names having relevant-to-each-other files in them suggests the same thing, but I suppose they could be linked pieces of software.) Anyway, I could have sworn I read it said on here that the App manager was closed. Anyway, thanks for setting me straight. Actually, is there a comprehensive list of closed blobs in Maemo 5? (I did know about the Media Player, though. Should've just used that as an example.)

Why does it have to run in Linux only? Is there no C compiler that can make N900-specific debs for Windows? Or is it the ARM architecture that's the issue? Combination of both? (Oh, wait, "you need the sdk" - is that this scratchbox I keep seeing mentioned? Can I safely assume that's the ONLY SDK that can compile for the N900?)

I have a virtual machine with Debian installed (Lenny, I think), but I haven't even started to get off the ground using that. Linux is amazingly less intuitive than I expected when your starting point is the N900. I partly blame the Virtual Machine, because I can't figure out how to resize the screen to fit into my monitor, which means that either I run the Virtual Machine in windowed mode and have to mouse out of it, scroll down using the little bar to get to the bottom of the screen and vice-versa, or if I full-screen it I just can't reach the bottom of the screen. Which isn't fully a problem either, except I have a mouse bug too where I regularly end up stuck and unable to reach the edges of the screen. I also did a very minimalistic install because I didn't want to burn a bunch of install CDs... So over all I just kinda got lazy a few weeks ago, and stopped fiddling for lack of time, and because the N900 I actually get.

But I'll look into it. I have a pre-set VM image of debian as well that I need to try, see if that is slightly friendlier to me. Worse case scenario I'll say screw it and let the user-friendliness of Ubuntu take me into it's sweet embrace.

Posts: 1,463 | Thanked: 1,916 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Edmonton, AB
yeah sdk contains some closed source stuff, if it wasn't for that maybe it could be compiled on windows. not really sure. i decided it's worth the time to learn linux so i'm not gonna fight it. there's instructions on the wiki on how to set up the scratchbox with debian or ubuntu so take your pick, but i warn you it's much faster to find a ready to go image.

The Following User Says Thank You to Creamy Goodness For This Useful Post:
Alright, I got a pre-installed Debian Lenny VDI file running in Virtual box (after some pain editing the xml files of VirtualBox and then realizing I didn't know the passwords for the preinstalled image, so I had to figure out how to get a shell from the kernel boot screen to be able to run the passwd command). Now I feel read to try to install the Virtual Machine image that has the SDK preinstalled - not sure if I found the right ones, but I downloaded a few that I found through the links on the Development section of this site... We'll see what happens.

-Edit1-
Well, I figured out how to import the right machine, it looks like - the one from downloads.maemo.org, in the PC section. I currently have the scratchbox installing script running. This is exciting - no hacking needed to just get to the desktop so far.
-Edit2-
Now stuck at the fourth install script. The one that installs the nokia binaries. Keeps telling me I have no active target in scratchbox chroot and to create one before continuing by running sb-menu.... Tried running sb-menu, can't make heads or tails of what it wants. Will experiment a bit, then it's time for documentation reading.

Last edited by Mentalist Traceur; 2010-10-10 at 22:24. Reason: You know you want to know my progress through setting up the VM.

Update with the latest PR1.3 version?

Originally Posted by rnb89 View Post
Update with the latest PR1.3 version?
Press Ctrl + Shift + R, I don't even have this installed and it work for anything now. Press it again to disable

The whole point of this thread and the package it includes is that you don't NEED to press Ctrl + Shift + R. It enables auto rotation by default. So you launch the control panel, and if you turn your phone portrait with keyboard closed, it will rotate without you needing to press anything.

The Following User Says Thank You to Mentalist Traceur For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,444 | Thanked: 461 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ pakistan
Originally Posted by MohammadAG View Post
As I've done with modest, I'm looking into adding portrait mode flags into most open source apps on Maemo 5.

This is based on the PR1.2 hildon-control-panel source.
Some applets don't work in portrait mode, such as the display one and the themes one (it kicks the window into landscape mode). most of the ones I use do.

You need to have rootsh and wget installed.

Code:
root
wget http://mohammadag.xceleo.org/public/maemo/debfiles/portrait/hildon-control-panel/hildon-control-panel_2.2.27-2+0m5_armel.deb
dpkg -i hildon-control-panel_2.2.27-2+0m5_armel.deb
To pin the package:
Code:
echo "Package: hildon-control-panel
Pin: release a=unstable 
Pin-Priority: 1001" >> /etc/apt/preferences
I really should make all these portrait patches into one thread...

wget is a big problem at my side
how to install wget ?

Posts: 565 | Thanked: 618 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Finland
Originally Posted by eefo View Post
wget is a big problem at my side
how to install wget ?
apt-get install wget

Notice that this should be used with PR1.2.