Poll: How much apps do you typically keep open on your N900?
Poll Options
How much apps do you typically keep open on your N900?

Posts: 145 | Thanked: 44 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Sydney
Originally Posted by pycage View Post
Multitasking on the N900 is great, but I usually only have 1-3 apps open at a time. Having more apps open certainly calls for trouble when you try to answer the next phone call.
I have found that if you set the phone app to landscape mode, the phone app appears almost instantly, even while playing videos, and I now no longer miss calls.

The downside is its not so easy to use single handed.

The Following User Says Thank You to Maruzko For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 706 | Thanked: 296 times | Joined on May 2010
Hi Peter, it is very important that Meego is also an enterprise device. I can not access my work email due to lack of provisioning on Nokia N900. That is why I currently use another device for my day to day functioning.

Posts: 604 | Thanked: 108 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Phoenix, WA
Originally Posted by Maruzko View Post
I have found that if you set the phone app to landscape mode, the phone app appears almost instantly, even while playing videos, and I now no longer miss calls.

The downside is its not so easy to use single handed.
Done. Whatever, I always use the phone in landscape anyway. Thanks for the heads up...

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
The multi-tasking is the killer function of the Maemo 5 platform.

The ability to switch from browsing, to a game, back to browsing to find a hint how to beat a game, all while listening to music with a terminal connection open watching the load on a server after I've deployed some updates/packages and keeping up with some friends via IM (Skype or AIM) and not have it slow down terribly... that's how I multi-task.

And I'll be damned if I can do that on any other mobile platform without jumping all the way up to my laptop.

Improve on that - it's not perfect, but it's so damn good.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 794 | Thanked: 784 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ /Canada/Ontario/GTA
Hi Peter - thanks for popping into talk.maemo.org !

I have the following up all the time:

1. Microb - Facebook
2. Microb - tweetgo.net
3. Microb - Gmail
4. Microb - Another Gmail account
5. Microb - talk.maemo.org
6. Contacts
7. Conversations

I use multi-tasking as I would on a desktop computer. So, for instance, I will reload Gmail, then switch to Facebook, and reload that. Then switch back to Gmail, switch again to Facebook. I do this for many of the web pages I have open to keep a 'current view of things'. Also, I filter my contacts by 'availability', so I switch to that between other tasks to see if any of my contacts have suddenly come online.

The one thing I feel can be improved with multi-tasking is: CPU intensive tasks such as: App Manager (D/L and installing apps), Media Player, and Phone can make the N900 slow to a crawl with many apps open in the dashboard. This makes answering VoIP/Cellular calls difficult sometimes as the UI and phone app become unresponsive. Sometimes when I am placing a call, I will close every app down first. Improvements here would be greatly appreciated for Maemo 5, and MeeGo.

The multi-tasking, IM and VoIP integration, and loopable desktops are killer features of Maemo/N900! Please do not lose them!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EIPI For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,522 | Thanked: 392 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ São Paulo, Brazil
Originally Posted by gabby131 View Post

my job is one of my life's revolutions so i do office work with my n900. but i rarely use it as my phone (i got my Samsung phone for that) because i dont want an SMS or phone call while doing stuff on it (not any other Negative reasons).

there is a thing you install that adds a button to the power button menu to switch between phone and tablet mode, basicly it enables or disables the celular modem

The Following User Says Thank You to TiagoTiago For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,729 | Thanked: 388 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Canada
Originally Posted by TiagoTiago View Post
there is a thing you install that adds a button to the power button menu to switch between phone and tablet mode, basicly it enables or disables the celular modem
got that one mate, i think its the cell-modem-ui app (and is installed)

but we do not want to missed calls or SMS too. so getting another phone as my primary line is my option.

"The best way to break a Spell is to prevent it from being cast in the first place"

N900: 1000/1150mhz; sampling_rate 15; up_threshold 150000;

Posts: 1,522 | Thanked: 392 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ São Paulo, Brazil
Don't the missed calls and offline SMS' reach you about as soon as you turn on phone mode again?

I keep a lot of Conversation windows open. A LOT. SMS and IM. I also keep 3 xterm windows, mediaplayer, email. I really wish we had the ability to re-organize the dashboard - or set it to group windows based on parent/child process.

The Following User Says Thank You to hawaii For This Useful Post:
Posts: 179 | Thanked: 1,679 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by geneven View Post
So, this is a designated bigwig participation thread? Interesting; the silence is often the loudest thing coming from Nokia.
Got no wig, but thanks for the feedback!

Tags
multitasking, research, reserach, survey