Notices

Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
Originally Posted by VDVsx View Post
Since Palm was referred, it seems to me very easy to port a native palm pre game to the N900(if you've the code of course).
In fact, Palm has patched SDL 1.2 as "game SDK". The "unofficial" one -- the only currently available one -- is even using Scratchbox2, we still don't know what the official one is using (it could be a cross compiler, etc).

Totally awesome when compared to what Nokia is providing</ironic>.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by REMFwhoopitydo View Post
i thought stuff bought from the Ovi store was protected, and that the DRM necessary was part of the 1.1 update?
DRM support will be part of Maemo 6.

The Following User Says Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,559 | Thanked: 1,786 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Boston
Originally Posted by Lazarpandar View Post
Change the title to "is it possible that EA games might come to the N900?". I don't know why you would name the title that, then say "I'm sorry if its misleading!" Did you do it to get as many thread views as you could?
Title fixed. Please consider the impression your title will give.

Out of curiosity, what does EA games have to offer that would impress me? I looked through my collection of purchased games, and not a one of them is published by EA. Yes, they have acquired some great studios that produced some good games in the past, such as Bullfrog (which gives me rather a more negative impression than a positive one that they go around eating up otherwise good companies), but how would they be an asset to Maemo?

I know what bad they would do--they would insist on all kinds of intrusive DRM crap. My question is, what good could they do that would justify that?

Unofficial PR1.3/Meego 1.1 FAQ

Classic example of arbitrary Nokia decision making. Couldn't just fallback to the no brainer of tagging with lat/lon if network isn't accessible, could you Nokia?
MAME: an arcade in your pocket
Accelemymote: make your accelerometer more joy-ful

Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
DRM support will be part of Maemo 6.
So slight thread hijack... being that M6 isn't likely for the N900 (ignoring the whole future support issue)

I wonder if this means pay content will essentially never be available for the N900? Since the security framework isn't built into it... this would mean that although the QT apps from M6 have a chance of running on M5.. if the developers release paid/closed source only apps I could see that being a limit for the N900.

Random thought.. I don't/wouldn't use pay software anyway.. but I know that attracts developers.
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

Posts: 3,617 | Thanked: 2,412 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Cambridge, UK
Originally Posted by fatalsaint View Post
So slight thread hijack... being that M6 isn't likely for the N900 (ignoring the whole future support issue)

I wonder if this means pay content will essentially never be available for the N900? Since the security framework isn't built into it... this would mean that although the QT apps from M6 have a chance of running on M5.. if the developers release paid/closed source only apps I could see that being a limit for the N900.

Random thought.. I don't/wouldn't use pay software anyway.. but I know that attracts developers.
A built-in, standardised DRM system is due for M6. There's nothing stopping developers implementing (or trying to implement) their own methods though. I expect we'll see a lot of online-activated games/apps, there'll be a few hardcoded to IMEIs (as a lot of S60 apps are), and I'm sure there'll be other techniques. DRM isn't really bullet-proof on any mobile platform though, it just presents a barrier to casual copying (and sometimes a barrier to normal use).

Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Originally Posted by Flandry View Post
Title fixed. Please consider the impression your title will give.

Out of curiosity, what does EA games have to offer that would impress me? I looked through my collection of purchased games, and not a one of them is published by EA. Yes, they have acquired some great studios that produced some good games in the past, such as Bullfrog (which gives me rather a more negative impression than a positive one that they go around eating up otherwise good companies), but how would they be an asset to Maemo?

I know what bad they would do--they would insist on all kinds of intrusive DRM crap. My question is, what good could they do that would justify that?
Seriously?

If you don't understand how having the largest 3rd party videogame publisher on your platform is a good thing, no explanation is ever going to be good enough. EA brings massive weight and legitimacy to any platform it comes to and also means that a lot of other smaller companies start to take notice and follow along as well.

On the opposite side of the spectrum, if you want to see what happens to a game console without EA, you can ask Sega what happened to the Dreamcast.

If you want content providers and game makers to come aboard and you want the N900 to really get into people's hands, DRM of some sort is going to need to be in there and it's going to be with Maemo 6.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to zerojay For This Useful Post:
Yeah, yeah i know they are to computer gaming platforms what Gore and Obama are to the Nobel prizes. You didn't answer my first question, though. Apart from any million-pound gorilla effect, what does EA actually have to offer on a meaningful level to someone who has a fairly picky and eclectic taste in games?

Classic example of arbitrary Nokia decision making. Couldn't just fallback to the no brainer of tagging with lat/lon if network isn't accessible, could you Nokia?

Last edited by Flandry; 2010-02-04 at 16:25.

The Following User Says Thank You to Flandry For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Originally Posted by Flandry View Post
Yeah, yeah i know they are to computer gaming platforms what Gore and Obama are to the Nobel prizes. You didn't answer my first question, though. Apart from any million-pound gorilla effect, what does EA actually have to offer on a meaningful level to someone who has a fairly picky and eclectic taste in games?
I sure did. As I said, the fact that EA would be supporting the platform is enough to get a lot of smaller publishers and developers interested in the platform, bringing more of an eclectic set of games to it.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zerojay For This Useful Post:
Actually i'm inclined to think that a big publisher moving into a niche market would tend to not bring in small studios. It simply doesn't make business sense. "Hey, this behemoth of a publisher that devours all in its way is supporting Maemo. Maybe we should develop for Maemo."

I'd be interested in seeing a study that tried to correlate that somehow, but i suspect it's a chicken and egg problem that is impossible to disambiguate.

Anyway, i still have no idea what games EA might possibly bring to Maemo that i'd like to play. I usually hear EA in the context of sports titles, which don't hold my interest. What are some of their best other mobile offerings that a hypothetical DRM-free paradise world would allow to show up on Maemo 5?

The Following User Says Thank You to Flandry For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Rob1n View Post
A built-in, standardised DRM system is due for M6. There's nothing stopping developers implementing (or trying to implement) their own methods though. I expect we'll see a lot of online-activated games/apps, there'll be a few hardcoded to IMEIs (as a lot of S60 apps are), and I'm sure there'll be other techniques. DRM isn't really bullet-proof on any mobile platform though, it just presents a barrier to casual copying (and sometimes a barrier to normal use).
It's not really so much a M6 feature as it is also future hardware feature. For me DRM is more of a fault than a feature though and I'm sad if the main motivator for such a anti-user thing is finding it's way to maemo because of some lackluster mobile phone games, among other things.

The Following User Says Thank You to slux For This Useful Post: