Posts: 1,313 | Thanked: 2,977 times | Joined on Jun 2011 @ Finland
Originally Posted by kai_en View Post
i think the useful scenario for Bluetooth conditioning would be to lauch something when it detected a certain device , like for example, if it connected to my car, i want it launch podcast app, or if it connected to Bluetooth headset, i would want it launch notes, or if it connected speakers, i would want it to launch music player, etc.
Thanks for the use case. I'm not sure if that would work in all cases as wanted. For example I don't know if the device is connected to the Bluetooth speakers only when the music player starts playing... or is the connection done before that. So depending on how it happens that's either possible or not.

But I guess it's best to do something that can be used to test and we'll see then.

Originally Posted by Chinoman10 View Post
Where can I find the changelog for version 1.7.2? I updated to it today.
It was just a few posts above your posting . See here:

http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...&postcount=752

Posts: 343 | Thanked: 819 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Paris, France
Another use case: when I arrive at home, I close my bluetooth headset which would turn-off bluetooth
Or: when I pair my headset, I do not want idle to affect the internet connection (using priority of rules)
Or: when I pair my bluetooth speaker, I put flight mode on to avoid receiving some notifications alert
Or: when I pair my bluetooth device, I launch podcast player or music player (depending on the device)
And for me, it would be essential too to play with wifi scanning (separate application is fine but more troublesome )

The Following User Says Thank You to P@t For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
Many BT devices support more than one BT profile, & often those profiles are for very different usages, hence it's likely users would want different things triggered.
Can you help me understand by giving some practical real-world use case how you'd need different actions for one Bluetooth device depending on what profile was in use?

I do have to say that even though I'm pretty sure you can query what profiles the device supports, I'm not at all sure yet that you have a way to know which one of those profiles are in use. And if I understood you correctly, it's the profiles that are in use currently are what you'd be interested in most.

Originally Posted by P@t View Post
Another use case: when I arrive at home, I close my bluetooth headset which would turn-off bluetooth
Or: when I pair my headset, I do not want idle to affect the internet connection (using priority of rules)
Or: when I pair my bluetooth speaker, I put flight mode on to avoid receiving some notifications alert
Or: when I pair my bluetooth device, I launch podcast player or music player (depending on the device)
And for me, it would be essential too to play with wifi scanning (separate application is fine but more troublesome )
Does "pair" in the above actually mean "connect"? As far as I've understood from previous explanations, devices are typically paired only once. Then they're paired forever and automatically connected when needed.

I'm guessing he means connected. Useful conditions IMO would be "connected to this BT-device" and maybe even "connected to this BT-device using BT-profile xx" but this may well be overkill.

I personally don't have a need for this since I only use BT in the car and the NFC rule activates everything I need there.

What would be useful for me, is some way to use the system clock alarms as triggers for actions.

There seems to be some sort of trigger string sent over the system dbus when an alarm goes off. I set two alarms and got their cookies by searching for the pair "enabled","1" (This filter probably needs to be refined with the pair "STATE","QUEUED")

Code:
dbus-send --system --type=method_call --print-reply --dest=com.nokia.time /c
om/nokia/time com.nokia.time.get_cookies_by_attributes dict:string:string:"enabled","1"
Then I queried their attributes with those cookies:

Code:
dbus-send --system --type=method_call --print-reply --dest=com.nokia.time /c
om/nokia/time com.nokia.time.query_attributes uint32:cookie
Then I used dbus-monitor --system to see what happens when the alarms go off. You can see the outputs in the attached files.

I'm aware that I can just use PM to play a sound at a set time and execute an action but I lose the snooze function, recurrence and a nice enabled/disabled switch in the UI () if I do it like that.

This, for me, would be more useful than BT rules.
Attached Files
File Type: txt eka.txt (1.1 KB, 71 views)
File Type: txt toka.txt (1.1 KB, 68 views)
File Type: zip dbus-monitor.zip (4.5 KB, 59 views)

The Following User Says Thank You to slarti For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by ajalkane View Post
I do have to say that even though I'm pretty sure you can query what profiles the device supports, I'm not at all sure yet that you have a way to know which one of those profiles are in use. And if I understood you correctly, it's the profiles that are in use currently are what you'd be interested in most.
Yes I think that makes the most practical sense (or in combo as I explained before), but if it's not feasible for whatever reason, then that's cool.

Posts: 10 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Eindhoven Area, the Netherlands
@ajalkane

Thanks for this useful application!

Slarti pointed me towards you quit logically as a response to my question in the Billboard threat.
http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...&postcount=206
I am curious if we could arrange displaying ProfileMatic's active rule name by Billboard. What do you think?

Thank you

Originally Posted by slarti View Post
There seems to be some sort of trigger string sent over the system dbus when an alarm goes off. I set two alarms and got their cookies by searching for the pair "enabled","1" (This filter probably needs to be refined with the pair "STATE","QUEUED")
Thanks for digging that up, it's useful information.

I'm aware that I can just use PM to play a sound at a set time and execute an action but I lose the snooze function, recurrence and a nice enabled/disabled switch in the UI () if I do it like that.
Hmm... I've long wanted to do an "Alarm" action. I wonder if it would solve your use case, if you could schedule an alarm from ProfileMatic? Like when certain conditions match, schedule an alarm at N minutes from current time with topic "Blabla".

Or is the condition on alarm what you need?

The Following User Says Thank You to ajalkane For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Industreality View Post
I am curious if we could arrange displaying ProfileMatic's active rule name by Billboard. What do you think?
There is D-Bus API in ProfileMatic for getting the currently active rules. But it returns "ids" and mapping those to the rule names displayed in ProfileMatic UI is not that straigthtforward.

Also if I remember correctly Billboard wants the information to be available from ContextKit. There is no such support in ProfileMatic. I'd guess it's not too hard to add support for ContextKit to ProfileMatic. Not sure when I could do it, but I'll write it down.